Goodbye Jesus

9 Years On Ex-Christian

Wertbag

Just checked my profile and saw I had been an active member since November 2005!  Looking back at the last decade I can say there has been no time which has made me doubt my conclusion that atheism is the correct answer.

For me the doubt set in early and during bible classes while I was a 5 year old I always had lots of questions that never seemed to get answers.  I was too young to understand what was wrong with what we were being told, but it inspired me to want to understand it better.

I remember talking to one girl in the class who said "Heaven is paved with gold, you do want gold don't you?", like it was worth believing so you would be rich.  I wish I had been older and able to point out how stupid that idea was...

So I came up with the answer that I was agnostic with the intent to find the answer to my questions.  I began a project to write a book (one which I never intend anyone to ever see) with the idea that it would step through the questions and both sides of the argument and related evidence and counter claims.  It was a great exercise and each question opened up dozens more. 

After years of reading every book, watching every documentary, attending seminars and debates and generally trying to absorb as much information as I could I looked back at my growing book and noticed that I had answered my own question.  It had started off asking balanced questions but as they branched science had answers while religion did not.  For example I could easily prove that Noah's Ark was bollocks but couldn't find a valid argument for the religious side.  I can't say when I was finally aware I was an atheist as it seems to have been a slowly growing realization but my book stopped being questions and starting becoming a list of why Christianity is wrong.

• Like 2

Hi Wertbag!  I've been here nine years myself.  Where does the time go?

Sounds like you wrote an interesting book.

• Like 2

Wow!! That's awesome! I've only been around a few years. This site is such a 'sanctuary'. smile.png

• Like 1

I'll be hitting my 11th year within the next couple of months. I was a member from the first incarnation of Ex-C. Since then, Dave tore it down and rebuilt Ex-C into what it is today.

While I've had a few belief kinks to work out along the way, I, too, have known that I was on the right/real road.

There's no going back for me. Unless I suffer severe brain damage that hooks those connections back up again.

• Like 2

Hi Wertbag from a fellow kiwi.

• Like 1

That's a long time! Congrats and hopefully you stick around another 9. I see from your post count that you only speak when necessary - a trait I could probably learn myself. LOL.

• Like 1

I first discovered this site in 2004 (in that year somehow I felt the necessity to post my deconversion testimony), although I did not become a member until 2006. I was a regular lurker during 2005. I can hardly believe it has now been 10 years.

Guest Furball

I am a newbie here, and i have learned more about the truth of christianity then when i was actually a christian for 13 years. I love all of you. -peace

• Like 1

Folks, 

First, thanks for landing here, deciding that your net.time was worth your meat.space life.

Second, great amount of think you and kudos who have made this place their Home on the IntARweBbZ, returning and adding into our eclectic mix of voices, opinions, and discussions,

Third, thanks all of you who can and do help support the Mission, "..being a landing spot for those newly and freshly removed from their religious foundations; needing help and healing."

Thank you

kL

Hi Wertbag! Congratulations on almost a decade! Good to hear from you!  

What in the heck would we do without Ex-c?? 4 years for me in 4 days!! Christianity is soooo wrong and I am so happy to have this site. You guys are so right...where does the time go?? I was so nervous the night I joined Ex. I thought I was the only person who had doubts about the christian god and bible because how dare we question the god of the bible??

It's amazing to watch how people change over the years, isn't it? 

hug

I'm so appreciative of the longtime members here, so thank you. I'm only out a year, and it's wonderful and inspiring to see how well many people get on over time. Congratulations. And from a newly out -- less than a year -- thank you. It's that feeling of isolation and loneliness this site does away with.