Goodbye Jesus

Christianity Is Not A Relgion

ironhorse

“Christianity is not a religion. Christianity is the proclamation of the end of religion, not of a new religion, or even of the best of all religions. …If the cross is the sign of anything, it’s the sign that God has gone out of the religion business and solved all of the world’s problems without requiring a single human being to do a single religious thing. The cross is a sign of the fact that religion can’t do a thing about the world’s problems – that it never did work and it never will…”

“Christianity is not a religion, it is the announcement of the end of religion. Religion consists of all the things (believing, behaving, worshipping, sacrificing) the human race has ever thought it had to do to get right with God.

About those things, Christianity has only two comments to make. The first is that none of them ever had the least chance of doing the trick: the blood of bulls and goats can never take away sins (see the Epistle of Hebrews) and no effort of ours to keep the law of God can ever succeed (see the Epistle of Romans).

The second is that everything religion tried (and failed) to do has been perfectly done, once and for all, by Jesus in his death and resurrection. For Christians, then, the entire religion shop has been closed, boarded up and forgotten.

The church is not in the religion business. It never has been and it never will be, in spite of all the ecclesiastical turkeys through two thousand years who have acted as if religion was their stock in trade. The church, instead, is in the Gospel-proclaiming business.

It is not here to bring the world the bad news that God will think kindly about us only after we have gone through certain creedal, liturgical, and ethical wickets; it is here to bring the world the Good News that ‘while we were yet sinners, Christ died for the ungodly.’ It is here, in short, for no religious purpose at all, only to announce the Gospel of free grace.”

~Robert Capon

So Robert Capon was a double talker.  Proclaiming something doesn't make it true.

When somebody talks about God as if God is a real thing they are being religious.

• Like 1

*Yawn*

hmm… not seeing the practical effects of this non-religion in the last 2000 years

Seeing plenty of practical effects of science and humanism though! 

• Like 3

So a human being's regurgitated version of a popular, subjective opinion = absolute, gospel truth?

Gotcha. wink.png

• Like 1

So a human being's regurgitated version of a popular, subjective opinion = absolute, gospel truth?

Gotcha. wink.png

Well not just anybody's opinion.  You have to test the opinion to see if it confirms and upholds the teachings from the Bible.  That is how you can tell if it's the truthy truth.

If the cross is a sign of anything, it is a sign that God can change.  Got that much from the first paragraph, Ironhorse.  Most of us know that Biblegod will never change according to his word, although he does often, and it is recorded in his word.

Have you considered James 1: 26? Of course you have, you small little poster you. 

• Like 1

Have you considered James 1: 26? Of course you have, you small little poster you.

I just read it. And it has been so long since I've read this shit, I can't even tell what the verse is trying to say!

James 1:26 King James Version (KJV)

If any man among you seem to be religious,and bridleth not his tongue,but deceiveth his own heart,this man's religion is vain.

Yeah... This is not an invitation for you to "explain" this verse to me, ironhorse. I genuinely couldn't care less about what it "means".

I just read it. And it has been so long since I've read this shit, I can't even tell what the verse is trying to say!

If any man among you seem to be religious,and bridleth not his tongue,but deceiveth his own heart,this man's religion is vain.

Yeah... This is not an invitation for you to "explain" this verse to me, ironhorse. I genuinely couldn't care less about what it "means".

Fwee, Is there a man among us that seems to be religious and bridleth not his tongue? Does he deceive his own heart? This man's religion is vain. Yet it's true because it's in the Bible.

So, Ironhorse, as always, resorts to quotes. He has nothing much to say for himself.

So basically its saying, "Religious people that don't shut the fuck up, are liars."

Does that sound about right? Is that even close?

Ok. It's not a religion. We'll call it whatever you want to call it.

Here's a few ideas:

• Cult
  • Doctrine
  • Myth
  • Ritual
  • Sect
  • Superstition
  • Observance
  • Sanctification
  • Spiritual- Mindedness

Also, I assume since it's not a religion we can forget about the whole tax exemption thing right?

• Like 8

christianity is not a religion, it is a relationship,,,,,

don't you guys know that?

IT IS A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU N GOD

• Like 1

For those newbies and lurkers who don't know about Ironhorse, please take note of this...

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/65968-the-way-that-i-will-experience-hell/#.VIVicTGsUuk

No compassion for Lllewelyn in Ironhorse's posting whatsoever!

• Super Moderator

If the cross is a sign that god has solved all the world's problems, why are children still starving to death?

• Like 1

Might be why Ironhorse is visiting ya'll

Perhaps. But wtf is 'your' excuse?
  • Like 4

It's your lie, tell it how ever you want. Then again since I am presuming the reason, I can only reflect upon my own reason which I doubt you have the ability to understand even if I told you.

It's your lie, tell it how ever you want. Then again since I am presuming the reason, I can only reflect upon my own reason which I doubt you have the ability to understand even if I told you.

*Irony meter explodes*  Projecting much?

• Like 1

Wow, not one, but two inane Xtians on one thread.....please Holy Ghost, I pray to you, send us better Christians. The ones you have sent so far are just not up to snuff.

• Like 2

“Christianity is not a religion. Christianity is the proclamation of the end of religion, not of a new religion, or even of the best of all religions. …

Oh Zeus, Hera and Aphrodite, not this marketing ploy again. Just as "it's not TV, it's HBO." Or, "it's not soap, it's Dove."

But leave it to Ironhorse to introduce the special twist, "it's not a relgion." I actually didn't think Christianity was a relgion, either.

--------------------------

Adding to chime in with fwee: something that's not a religion doesn't get a tax exemption.

• Like 1

“....God has gone out of the religion business and solved all of the world’s problems without requiring a single human being to do a single religious thing.

Well, it's nice to hear that all of the world's problems have been solved, and without anyone having to lift a finger!

It is not here to bring the world the bad news that God will think kindly about us only after we have gone through certain creedal, liturgical, and ethical wickets; it is here to bring the world the Good News that ‘while we were yet sinners, Christ died for the ungodly.’ It is here, in short, for no religious purpose at all, only to announce the Gospel of free grace.

Which Christianity are we talking about? It sounds like one of the evangelical cults of easy-believism. We're certainly not talking about a traditional orthodox church. Do Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy not count as Christianity?
  • Like 3

But it provides by which the fortitude remakes itself during the premiere of basking ornate holograms.

Hence it comes under the standing but only if the comp heavily on the rehend.

There ya go! Bask in MY wisdom, bitch...

• Super Moderator

So can we remove their tax exemption?

. . . I can only reflect upon my own reason which I doubt you have the ability to understand even if I told you.

I think we would cut through all the bullshit just like we have done with everything else presented and that is the real reason you don't want to put it out in the open.

You come to a website for people who are recovering from being fundamentalist and you doubt we have the ability to understand what it was like back when we were just like you?  We didn't have our memory erased.  We have experienced all that you have and something more.  Can you understand what it is like to wake up one day and faith doesn't work ever again?

• Like 2

*Irony meter explodes* Projecting much?

"4 I rejoiced greatly to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we were commanded by the Father. 5 And now I ask you, dear lady—not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning—that we love one another. 6 And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it. 7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we[a] have worked for, but may win a full reward. 9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, 11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works." - 2 John v. 4-11

According to this piece of scripture, it is not wise to minister to non-believers. We are deceivers, antichrists. Most of us are literally ANTI-CHRIST. That is, we are against the message of the gospel, against the notion of there being or ever having been, a God-man called Jesus or Christ.

If someone preaches, teaches, shares or promotes a message contrary to the supposed TRUTH, believers are not supposed to give us the time of day. Yet we extend the opportunity for believers to come here to this forum to discuss their faith(s). It is mostly the same things over and over again.

1) Y'all need Jesus... -- Poster asserts that Jesus really loves us even though we are apostates. If we just believe and accept our needs for salvation, he will give us another chance. Generally annoying, but usually harmless. They will usually go away after a few dozen posts

2) Christ-trolls -- Wastes bandwidth and clutters the forums with useless inanity such as one word replies, lyrics, videos, scripture blocks, etc. Rarely contributes anything to the forum, picks pointless arguments with forum members, purposely inflames or outright denigrates or irritates others.

3) Superior Believers -- Think that they and/or their church have the TRUTH and that ex-christians are ignorant rejectors of said truth. They assert that we need to hear/read the message over and over again.

Ironhorse is a Christ-troll. His words and actions have proven this over and over again. It doesn't matter if Christianity is a religion or not. Ex-Christians have rejected the message and its prominent figure. The posting of quotes will not change that fact. Perhaps some of the lurkers can and will be easily swayed by the ill logic and sentiments found therein. We will not. So if any believers insist upon sharing or supporting the behavior of Christ-trolls, they should expect to be called out for it. This isn't your house (a Christian forum) so don't expect us ex-C's to sit by and listen to your bs idly. This is our house (a Non-Christian forum) and we will not receive you here nor offer you friendly greetings unless you show yourself to be worthy of them.

• Like 4