Goodbye Jesus

Christianity Is Not A Relgion

ironhorse

"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet."

-Matthew 10:14  KJV

Believers, we will not receive you nor year your words.  So when will you depart?

• Like 1

Looked up Capon on Wikipedia.  I leave it to others to indicate which one they think is appropriate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rober_Farrar_Capon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capon

• Like 1

Must be fun for IH to watch all the hornets zip out of the nest. He may be chuckling all the while at how long he plans to go ignoring BAA's requests.

Why feed the troll any longer?

• Like 1

Must be fun for IH to watch all the hornets zip out of the nest. He may be chuckling all the while at how long he plans to go ignoring BAA's requests.

Why feed the troll any longer?

Why?

Because the longer he ignores me, the better everyone sees what he's really like.   That's why, F.

I gladly do this as a service to the lurkers, the newbies and the members.

Thanks,

BAA.

Might be why Ironhorse is visiting ya'll

Perhaps. But wtf is 'your' excuse?

It's your lie, tell it how ever you want. Then again since I am presuming the reason, I can only reflect upon my own reason which I doubt you have the ability to understand even if I told you.

Justus isn't going to win any friends or influence anyone with that nasty, arrogant attitude. But he does do a good job of showing us what fundigelicals are really like.

• Like 3

“Christianity is not a religion, it is the announcement of the end of religion. 

The end of religion, yes, that is definitely what your religion attempts to do.. attempts to convert anyone who believes differently than you do.  

Saying "it's not a religion" isn't going to change anyone's mind, we've heard many times.  Hell, I've heard the same thing from people in at least 4 different religions.   You're no different or better than any other religious person, except your'e the breed that insists on being way above everyone else that believes differently.

Just more of the same old vicious cycle.. the wakes of destruction never end.

It's your lie, tell it how ever you want. Then again since I am presuming the reason, I can only reflect upon my own reason which I doubt you have the ability to understand even if I told you.

Having trouble bridling your own tongue I see.  Got a bit of a pride issue there too. 

• Like 2

And there we have it. Somewhere lurking in the dark recesses of even the most saccharine, smiley invitation to a relationship-not-a-religion is the veiled threat which says, “Love me, or else.” If you ask enough questions, somewhere inside this message are three (usually non-negotiable) beliefs: If you don’t accept this relationship 1) Your life will suck before you die, 2) Your life will suck infinitely worse after you die, and 3) You are not qualified to determine for yourself whether #1 and #2 are true (this is called “gaslighting“). And this is why the whole dichotomy is B.S. in the end. No matter how much of a relationship this faith dangles out in front of you, there is a giant block of fine print waiting patiently underneath it all, demanding submission to something which comes with a threat (behold, a religion after all).

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godlessindixie/2014/12/08/its-a-religion-too-not-just-a-relationship-2/

• Like 2

Of course it's a religion.   And those who claim their religion isn't a religion are usually fundies who have their head up their ass, or holier-than-thou New Agers which seems to be popular as well.  Either way, you're part of a shitty crowd my friend.

James 1:27

Religion that God our

Father accepts as pure

and faultless is this: to

look after orphans and

widows in their distress

and to keep oneself

from being polluted by

the world.

Based on that verse, I would have to agree that Christianity is not a religion.

Ass.

JESUS CHRIST!

Sorry dude. The cats dead.

I believe that this vague statement is obfuscation disguised as profundity.  I would submit that you gave an unclear reason to the question of why you were here, because you have no good answer to give.  I challenge you to prove me wrong and speak without any figurative language, as Jesus did when the disciples did not understand why he was traveling such a great distance simply to "wake" his sleeping friend Lazarus.

Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  Sometimes not.

Ironhorse + Justus + End3

• Like 3

Of course it's a religion.   And those who claim their religion isn't a religion are usually fundies who have their head up their ass, or holier-than-thou New Agers which seems to be popular as well.  Either way, you're part of a shitty crowd my friend.

As Florduh mentioned, if they want to insist it's not a religion, then lets take away their tax status and remove their equal protection provisions as well.  Otherwise, they should STFU.

• Like 6

*Irony meter explodes* Projecting much?

"4 I rejoiced greatly to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we were commanded by the Father. 5 And now I ask you, dear lady—not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning—that we love one another. 6 And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it. 7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we[a] have worked for, but may win a full reward. 9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, 11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works." - 2 John v. 4-11

According to this piece of scripture, it is not wise to minister to non-believers. We are deceivers, antichrists. Most of us are literally ANTI-CHRIST. That is, we are against the message of the gospel, against the notion of there being or ever having been, a God-man called Jesus or Christ.

If someone preaches, teaches, shares or promotes a message contrary to the supposed TRUTH, believers are not supposed to give us the time of day. Yet we extend the opportunity for believers to come here to this forum to discuss their faith(s). It is mostly the same things over and over again.

1) Y'all need Jesus... -- Poster asserts that Jesus really loves us even though we are apostates. If we just believe and accept our needs for salvation, he will give us another chance. Generally annoying, but usually harmless. They will usually go away after a few dozen posts

2) Christ-trolls -- Wastes bandwidth and clutters the forums with useless inanity such as one word replies, lyrics, videos, scripture blocks, etc. Rarely contributes anything to the forum, picks pointless arguments with forum members, purposely inflames or outright denigrates or irritates others.

3) Superior Believers -- Think that they and/or their church have the TRUTH and that ex-christians are ignorant rejectors of said truth. They assert that we need to hear/read the message over and over again.

Ironhorse is a Christ-troll. His words and actions have proven this over and over again. It doesn't matter if Christianity is a religion or not. Ex-Christians have rejected the message and its prominent figure. The posting of quotes will not change that fact. Perhaps some of the lurkers can and will be easily swayed by the ill logic and sentiments found therein. We will not. So if any believers insist upon sharing or supporting the behavior of Christ-trolls, they should expect to be called out for it. This isn't your house (a Christian forum) so don't expect us ex-C's to sit by and listen to your bs idly. This is our house (a Non-Christian forum) and we will not receive you here nor offer you friendly greetings unless you show yourself to be worthy of them.

7, it's fucking good to have you back.

As Florduh mentioned, if they want to insist it's not a religion, then lets take away their tax status and remove their equal protection provisions as well.  Otherwise, they should STFU.

Exactly. It's just a way for people to feel superior over others who believe differently. We have the Real Truth™ and they have 'just religion'.  The very heart of Christian love expressed through religious intolerance.

I understand in the broad sense as to what Robert Capon meant when he said Christianity is not a religion. He was pointing to the very core and essence of the Christian faith. It’s about grace. The love and mercy given to us by God because God desires us to have it, not because of anything we have done to earn it.

I agree that I practice certain rituals like going to church and praying that are religious but it the only through Christ that I receive grace. This explains the verse Jame’s letter. You can say Christianity is a religion in that sense.

Capon was known for his teachings and proclamations on the grace of God. He was an American Episcopal priest and author. He wrote 24 books. He also had a lifelong interest in food and cooking, and wrote several cookbooks. He was a food columnist for The new York Times and  News Day, and taught cooking classes.

If interested, there’s a lot online about him including so interviews on YouTube.

Below is part of an interview that hwlps in understand what Capon meant by radical grace.

From the Chicago Evening Club archives:

http://www.csec.org/index.php/archives/23-member-archives/700-robert-farrar-capon-program-3705

Conversation with Robert Capon

Floyd Brown: Here again is Robert Farrar Capon. I want to thank you for a fine presentation and also say that you are a very challenging man. I have difficulty with many of the things you said, just as you suggested. You told me that if we would follow the commandments everything would be worked out all right, but if we don't follow the commandments here, or anyway we haven't done it....I have got to have a script. You have got to give me a worksheet. What am I to do from day to day?

Robert Farrar Capon: Well, one of the problems with any authentic pronouncement of the gospel is that it introduces us to freedom. The point is that as long as the world runs this show what it tries to say is that if you do something wrong God will get you. What it said in Jesus is, by the blanket absolution of everybody in the death of Christ, that God is not going to get anybody.

For example, who is in heaven? People think it is good guys. There is nobody in heaven but forgiven sinners because there was nobody available to go to heaven except forgiven sinners and there is nobody in hell except forgiven sinners. The difference is that in heaven they accept the forgiveness, in hell they reject it.

That's it. You can't get into hell by being bad. You get into heaven by being bad and accepting forgiveness. Now, that does in a way mean you have permission to be bad. If you want to stick your hand in a meat grinder, you are free to do that. It's stupid, but God isn't going to run the universe that way. God is not going to punish. He cares more about relationships than behavior.

Brown: I think I understand philosophically what you are saying here, but it is still hard for us slow learners there in the back row. I've got to have a plan here. I know that if I go out and I fight and I'm the kind of guy who causes disruptive things, I'm a threat to society. I do bad things and bad things result. I know that if repent of these things, God will forgive me, but if I don't ever repent of these things, what's going to happen?

Capon: He forgave you before you repented. That's crucial. See, that is why it is so outrageous. The gospel is really vulgar, crass and immoral because it says God forgives the world before it repents. In the gospel, repent is always repent and believe. It means turn yourself around from not trusting the forgiveness and trust it. That's it. It doesn't mean that you earn it by repenting. You had it before.
If you do something to me and you are wrong and I am right, you can repent all you want but until I forgive you, it's not going to do you a bit of good. It only helps when I have already forgiven you and you can enter into the restored relationship and turn again to me. Only I can decide to forgive you and God for His own idiot reasons decided to absolve the world. He really did. It's outrageous. It's immoral. It's tough.

Brown: It's outrageous, immoral and very difficult for many of us to comprehend at the level that you have, but I feel assured in listening to you here that I am forgiven and that there is a future for me in the better place because He is going to forgive me, but I have got to accept that only through Him can I get this forgiveness.

Capon: That's the whole point.

• Super Moderator

I see you're still copying and pasting rather than addressing the issues you promised to address, Ironhorse.  Way to be honest there, buddy.

• Like 1

I understand in the broad sense as to what Robert Capon meant when he said Christianity is not a religion. He was pointing to the very core and essence of the Christian faith. It’s about grace. The love and mercy given to us by God because God desires us to have it, not because of anything we have done to earn it.

I agree that I practice certain rituals like going to church and praying that are religious but it the only through Christ that I receive grace. 

Belief in Christ is a religious belief.   

To assume that your religion has 'grace' and others don't is a common misconception among fundamentalist Christians.  The truth is, other religions are just as good as yours.  But in order for the fundamentalist to have a sense of control, they must believe their religion is the only true one, and to claim it is not a religion like all the others.  Superiority is essential.

(Content snipped out due to lack of trust in Ironhorse.)

Sorry Ironhorse,

Whenever I read any of your posts, I recall your broken promise to me and the broken promises you made to others.  

I cannot get past these obstacles and so I cannot trust anything you post.

It's therefore my moral duty to warn others about you.

Please do the right and moral thing and restore our ability to trust you.

Thanks,

BAA.

And of course love and mercy given to us by God is a religion.

So by your own reasoning you quoted a liar.

I agree that I practice certain rituals like going to church and praying that are religious but it the only through Christ that I receive grace. This explains the verse Jame’s letter. You can say Christianity is a religion in that sense.

Capon was known for his teachings and proclamations on the grace of God. He was an American Episcopal priest and author. He wrote 24 books. He also had a lifelong interest in food and cooking, and wrote several cookbooks. He was a food columnist for The new York Times and  News Day, and taught cooking classes.

If interested, there’s a lot online about him including so interviews on YouTube.

Below is part of an interview that hwlps in understand what Capon meant by radical grace.

From the Chicago Evening Club archives:

http://www.csec.org/index.php/archives/23-member-archives/700-robert-farrar-capon-program-3705

Conversation with Robert Capon

Floyd Brown: Here again is Robert Farrar Capon. I want to thank you for a fine presentation and also say that you are a very challenging man. I have difficulty with many of the things you said, just as you suggested. You told me that if we would follow the commandments everything would be worked out all right, but if we don't follow the commandments here, or anyway we haven't done it....I have got to have a script. You have got to give me a worksheet. What am I to do from day to day?

Robert Farrar Capon: Well, one of the problems with any authentic pronouncement of the gospel is that it introduces us to freedom. The point is that as long as the world runs this show what it tries to say is that if you do something wrong God will get you. What it said in Jesus is, by the blanket absolution of everybody in the death of Christ, that God is not going to get anybody.

For example, who is in heaven? People think it is good guys. There is nobody in heaven but forgiven sinners because there was nobody available to go to heaven except forgiven sinners and there is nobody in hell except forgiven sinners. The difference is that in heaven they accept the forgiveness, in hell they reject it.

That's it. You can't get into hell by being bad. You get into heaven by being bad and accepting forgiveness. Now, that does in a way mean you have permission to be bad. If you want to stick your hand in a meat grinder, you are free to do that. It's stupid, but God isn't going to run the universe that way. God is not going to punish. He cares more about relationships than behavior.

Brown: I think I understand philosophically what you are saying here, but it is still hard for us slow learners there in the back row. I've got to have a plan here. I know that if I go out and I fight and I'm the kind of guy who causes disruptive things, I'm a threat to society. I do bad things and bad things result. I know that if repent of these things, God will forgive me, but if I don't ever repent of these things, what's going to happen?

Capon: He forgave you before you repented. That's crucial. See, that is why it is so outrageous. The gospel is really vulgar, crass and immoral because it says God forgives the world before it repents. In the gospel, repent is always repent and believe. It means turn yourself around from not trusting the forgiveness and trust it. That's it. It doesn't mean that you earn it by repenting. You had it before.

If you do something to me and you are wrong and I am right, you can repent all you want but until I forgive you, it's not going to do you a bit of good. It only helps when I have already forgiven you and you can enter into the restored relationship and turn again to me. Only I can decide to forgive you and God for His own idiot reasons decided to absolve the world. He really did. It's outrageous. It's immoral. It's tough.

Brown: It's outrageous, immoral and very difficult for many of us to comprehend at the level that you have, but I feel assured in listening to you here that I am forgiven and that there is a future for me in the better place because He is going to forgive me, but I have got to accept that only through Him can I get this forgiveness.

Capon: That's the whole point.

Christian dogma is so predictable.  It's, well.....dogma, repeated again and again.  No challenge, no analysis, no questions and no objections.

To narrow, shallow and myopic Christians like Ironhorse, aka Tin Pony, aka Pewter Jackass, it's like heroin.  Chase, chase and chase the endorphins, just like they were taught to do as children.

As to Capon, he's a peddler of a particular and provincial religion.  A chump.  A theism addict.  Now that he's dead, his flavor of nonsense will fall into the dustbin of history.

• Like 1

"...Only I can decide to forgive you and God for His own idiot reasons decided to absolve the world." ...Capon

"He really did. It's outrageous. It's immoral. It's tough." ...Capon

OK, Ironhorse is quoting a guy that said Biblegod has idiot reasoning and does immoral things.  I think in IH'S attempt to be a hip, cool Christian (you know,  'radical' and 'on fire for God'), he doesn't even consider the sources he quotes.

Also, looking over his lists of interests, I notice that the vast majority of what's listed is secular music.  Tsk tsk. He must know that the Bible says that if any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

And to be coming to us from inside a bottle of wine?  Nothing wrong with that, but he should know that the Bible says to avoid the very appearance of evil, and I would think that would be of paramount importance when trying to evangelize in a public forum.

“Christianity is not a religion. Christianity is the proclamation of the end of religion, not of a new religion, or even of the best of all religions. …If the cross is the sign of anything, it’s the sign that God has gone out of the religion business and solved all of the world’s problems without requiring a single human being to do a single religious thing. The cross is a sign of the fact that religion can’t do a thing about the world’s problems – that it never did work and it never will…”

“Christianity is not a religion, it is the announcement of the end of religion. Religion consists of all the things (believing, behaving, worshipping, sacrificing) the human race has ever thought it had to do to get right with God.

About those things, Christianity has only two comments to make. The first is that none of them ever had the least chance of doing the trick: the blood of bulls and goats can never take away sins (see the Epistle of Hebrews) and no effort of ours to keep the law of God can ever succeed (see the Epistle of Romans).

The second is that everything religion tried (and failed) to do has been perfectly done, once and for all, by Jesus in his death and resurrection. For Christians, then, the entire religion shop has been closed, boarded up and forgotten.

The church is not in the religion business. It never has been and it never will be, in spite of all the ecclesiastical turkeys through two thousand years who have acted as if religion was their stock in trade. The church, instead, is in the Gospel-proclaiming business.

It is not here to bring the world the bad news that God will think kindly about us only after we have gone through certain creedal, liturgical, and ethical wickets; it is here to bring the world the Good News that ‘while we were yet sinners, Christ died for the ungodly.’ It is here, in short, for no religious purpose at all, only to announce the Gospel of free grace.”

~Robert Capon

one more idiot just reinforces the stupidity of it all in the first place.

total waste of space on the server to even have this posted.