Goodbye Jesus

Which Is Greater

Guest end3

Which is greater, your personal need to belong and be accepted in a small group or not belong and accepted in a larger group.

Thx.

It's impossible for you to objectively know if anything is greater or lesser than anything else, End.

Likewise, it's impossible for you to objectively know anything about the personal needs of others.

Since everything is subjective to you - everything in your reality is subjective.

• Like 3

Which is greater, your personal need to belong and be accepted in a small group or not belong and accepted in a larger group.

Thx.

I am what I am - acceptance is irrelevant to me.

• Like 5

Thx.

I would rather belong and be accepted in a small group (of my choosing) than not belong and not be accepted in a large group (of my choosing).

On the other hand I can think of many large groups (e.g., Fundamentalist Christians, Lying Creationists) that I feel quite honored not belonging to and not accepted in.

BTW, your question is wrongly worded.

• Like 2

Thx.

Small group membership is more meaningful, so I would choose the small group.

I don't have a "need" to belong to  a small social group or to not belong to a large social group. I may enjoy a small group or a large group. But I'm not compelled to join either, psychologically or otherwise. Rip

• Like 3

You cannot know anything about the needs of others, End.

This is your own worldview.

I'm simply keeping you honest to your own words, nothing more.

• Super Moderator

Neither. 

What about you E3? What's your answer?  (I don't quite understand the second of your two scenarios either, btw.)

Thx.

I would prefer to be accepted by a small group rather than to be rejected by a larger group.  It's kind of a silly question.  Wendyshrug.gif

Not much of a dilemma.

Thx.

I would prefer to be accepted by a small group rather than to be rejected by a larger group.  It's kind of a silly question.  Wendyshrug.gif

Not much of a dilemma.

Yeah, he worded his question incorrectly, failing (once again) to communicate his meaning.

It must suck to have so much bottled up inside but to lack the skill to communicate it effectively.

Of course, it must suck even more to relish in the continual denial of this problem.

Thx.

I don't need acceptance anymore. Pre-deconversion I did, but since I have worked through the acceptance thing and realised I really don't need it.

• Like 2

It's more important for me to be true to myself no matter who does or does not accept me. I mean, really. And I like relish too. Shall we start a small club?

• Like 2

I'm a loner by nature, and although I enjoy people, and cherish a few friends  (not of the same group though) and a couple of family members, I don't really care about acceptance by any group, large or small.

My own acceptance of myself though is an entirely different matter.

• Like 2

Thx.

Nice questions, not loaded at all.

Give a better definition of what you are asking or go away.

how small, how large? What do these groups have in common, in difference?

My personal need is neither of these and is really at the moment need for a really tasty pastrami sammy so unless a large or small group is going to produce some excellent bread and meat they can all go wait out in the cold while I eat.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

There is no way of knowing which is greater, End3, given that everything is subjective.

• Like 1

There is no way of knowing which is greater, End3, given that everything is subjective.

End must have dreamed that you would write this.   GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

I agree, but we can agree on subjective perceptions. Worried that you would ally yourself with BAA and this childlike behavior.

Thx.

Nice questions, not loaded at all.

Give a better definition of what you are asking or go away.

how small, how large? What do these groups have in common, in difference?

My personal need is neither of these and is really at the moment need for a really tasty pastrami sammy so unless a large or small group is going to produce some excellent bread and meat they can all go wait out in the cold while I eat.

At least you realized it was loaded....credit for that. But, with that said, I was not expecting the diverse response. Not sure what to think of the results yet. My inclination would be that participation and acceptance in the largest group would be our "better selves". Now go get that sammy...

My inclination would be that participation and acceptance in the largest group would be our "better selves".

Not sure I'm understanding you here but, it sounds to me that you favor the herd mentality.

Also by this, one could conclude that those participating in Nazism during the time of their occupation that those people were embracing their "better selves". After all, the Nazis were a pretty sizable group, huh?

I agree, but we can agree on subjective perceptions.

No.  You and the Prof cannot agree on anything.  You cannot know what his perceptions are - even if he tells you.

That's because EVERYTHING is subjective.  (Your words, End.)

Your own perceptions and your perception of his perceptions are subjective.  

There's no common ground between you because you can never know anything for certain about reality.  Everything in your reality is in doubt and nothing is objectively true.  All you have to go on (your own words again) is your faith about reality.

So you can believe that you know what the Prof's perceptions are but you can never know what they actually are.

Worried that you would ally yourself with BAA and this childlike behavior.

Keeping you honest, End.

Holding you to your own words.

• Super Moderator

I agree, but we can agree on subjective perceptions. Worried that you would ally yourself with BAA and this childlike behavior.

I thought childlike behavior was the goal of a christian.  Furthermore, if our perceptions are subjective, then they are personal to each of us.  They may be similar enough that we don't fight over them; but how can we truly agree when I don't fully know or understand your subjective perceptions?

I thought childlike behavior was the goal of a christian.  Furthermore, if our perceptions are subjective, then they are personal to each of us.  They may be similar enough that we don't fight over them; but how can we truly agree when I don't fully know or understand your subjective perceptions?

End, most of us already agree with BAA and support his attempts to keep you honest,  because we don't think everything is subjective.  We just don't post every time because the threads would become clogged with 15 identical posts for every one of yours.  Don't mistake the small number KYH posts for the idea that BAA, TRP, and the others who make them are somehow outliers.  I commend BAA and TRP for their constant work in reminding you of your own words.

• Like 7