Goodbye Jesus

Books For Christians To Read

AnonymousCoward

Hi all,

I'm going to be home with my Christian family for a couple weeks over Christmas and this will be the first time I'm there since I told them about my deconversion. I have a feeling I'll be asked to read some random apologetic books while I'm there and I figured rather than being difficult and refusing, I can broaden their horizons by accepting on the condition that they also read books that I give them (which I believe they would accept).

Now since I sort of convinced myself out of Christianity without really reading anything opposed to it (and haven't found it worth my while to read a lot of literature arguing against something I don't believe in), does anybody have any recommendations on what books I should buy? I'm not really looking for anything in particular - just something that will broaden their horizons preferably without insulting or belittling them (I don't want them to play the ad hominem card in their minds as an excuse to ignore what the book is saying).

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Depends on what your family are like. Did you try looking at a theology degree reading list from a reputable university? It makes it harder for Christians to refute the books as being hackeyed pieces of decrepid Satanic deception if the book is accepted and read by scholars. I recently read History of Christianity by Diarmaid MacCulloch. It describes how the church developed over time, warts and all, and shows how Christianity is a million miles away from what the majority of Christians I know perceive their religion to be.. as the product of blessed divine providence.  MacCulloch delves into the political plotting, backstabbing, intrigue, Holy wars, murder, hypocrisy, all the messy vitality and pain and suffering of an institution created by people.  Its the first heavyweight piece of literature I have read about Christianity, and despite being a bit ignorant about its validity (I haven't crossed referenced, or look at refuting arguments yet), would thoroughly recommend it.

Hi all,

I'm going to be home with my Christian family for a couple weeks over Christmas and this will be the first time I'm there since I told them about my deconversion. I have a feeling I'll be asked to read some random apologetic books while I'm there and I figured rather than being difficult and refusing, I can broaden their horizons by accepting on the condition that they also read books that I give them (which I believe they would accept).

Now since I sort of convinced myself out of Christianity without really reading anything opposed to it (and haven't found it worth my while to read a lot of literature arguing against something I don't believe in), does anybody have any recommendations on what books I should buy? I'm not really looking for anything in particular - just something that will broaden their horizons preferably without insulting or belittling them (I don't want them to play the ad hominem card in their minds as an excuse to ignore what the book is saying).

AnonymousCoward, one of the simplest books that I read while deconverting (even before I joined Ex-c) was Charles Templeton's book called, '' Farewell To God''. The explanations are so simple and you can read this whole book in a day if needed. I did that the first time I found this book because I could not put it down. He answers the very main questions  with the most simple brilliance I have ever read.  I might add that this was Billy Graham's best friend which makes the book even more interesting!!

Good luck getting together with your family!! Let us know how it goes!!

Hug

http://www.amazon.ca/Farewell-God-Reasons-Rejecting-Christian/dp/0771085087

Reading Ken Daniels' Why I Believed really opened my eyes when I first started seriously questioning my faith. I think the book does a good job of explaining what the process was that led him to deconvert and then he goes into the more specific reasons. I enjoyed the book and learned a lot from it. It was easy to read too.

Robert G. Ingersoll's 'Some Mistakes of Moses' played a big part in helping me to see the blatant immorality in the Bible. It can be found in it's entirety online.

John W. loftus The outsider Test For Faith, or The End of Christianity. Loftus was a student of William Lane Craig. His books are respected by Christians as well as nonChristians. His deconversion book Why I Became Anh Atheist is also good.

Ken Daniels' Why I Believed

I second this recommendation.

Another book I'd recommend is Dan Barker's Godless, but only if you rip out the foreword by Richard Dawkins (due to his condescending tone).