Goodbye Jesus

Are They Just Mental!

Castiel233

When you see a Christian in church, or on TV in church and they are weeping on their knees and muttering about being sinful and dirty and asking an invisible being to hear their prayers (read their thoughts) you can only come to the conclusion they are mentally ill and they don't even know it.

Go into a library and cry out you are nothing without Zeus and the death of Hercules has saved you and they call the police and they put you in one of those nice white jackets that pulls your arms behind you back.

I just do not get it. Clearly there is no-one on the other end listening to their laments, clearly. So why do they bother. All this gnashing of the teeth and confessing their short comings would be comical if it wasn't so tragic.

Watch a large group of Christians at prayer and they all just look delusional  

I think more concerning (well, maybe not more, but still concerning) than that is the idea that prayer grants wishes; even a non-"religious" friend.

She thinks that if she prays to God to help her build some facet of her character, God will summimarily present her with a situation to build character, as if that wouldn't have happened should she not have asked.

This is actually a systematic belief that I saw in ICOC, an extremely fundie church.

When you see a Christian in church, or on TV in church and they are weeping on their knees and muttering about being sinful and dirty and asking an invisible being to hear their prayers (read their thoughts) you can only come to the conclusion they are mentally ill and they don't even know it.

Go into a library and cry out you are nothing without Zeus and the death of Hercules has saved you and they call the police and they put you in one of those nice white jackets that pulls your arms behind you back.

I just do not get it. Clearly there is no-one on the other end listening to their laments, clearly. So why do they bother. All this gnashing of the teeth and confessing their short comings would be comical if it wasn't so tragic.

Just mentioning for the sake of readers... they don't put people in straitjackets anymore.  They use minimal restraint only when they absolutely have to, and its manual restraint, ie, people holding onto a person.  They use medication and special rooms that minimise the chance of injury.

I know some of our readers may take things literally or get freaked out by some things they read here.

• Like 1

Guest Furball

They bother with all this because they have been brainwashed to believe the lie that the moment they were conceived god's anger burned against them. That simply being born against their will was an eternal crime against a thrice holy god. That everything they think, say, and do is 100% wrong, 100% of the time and that without groveling before his holiness, they will burn forever in his torture chamber. Praying never worked in my 13 years of christianity. The whole religion is nuts. People pray and sing songs into the empty air believing some invisible deity is there listening, and worshiping his chosen lord called jesus to whom there is -0- evidence that he ever existed. Utter madness it is. Insane indeed. -what a crock  

• Like 1

Personally I consider anyone that believes in anything they cannot use any of their senses at all to validate, well they are crazy.

No adult believes in Santa that I have met yet so many use the same type of criteria of acceptance of figures like christ or budha or Mohammad. How are they any different than Santa? There was once even a man that we base the modern Santa legend off of so why is Jesus or the rest of the mass delusion anything but crazy as cats.

The sad part really is that if the majority accept something no matter how crazy it is, we the people who refuse to accept their delusion get labeled crazy by the mass... I can handle being crazy if it means I can ignore the lie they are living.

Santa has no hell

Santa has no hell

Well, if you were to ask the Germans...

Santa has a similar type of prayer going on, kids writing messages to him asking for things to change.  I always thought Santa was just a toy maker but you hear of kids asking Santa for world peace, health, wealth and happiness and the poor old guy has no way to deliver.

Christians are totally brainwashed to think they are lowest of the low. They always feel inferior. They are so defensive and, I will say this, seem to be incapable of any deep friendship with anyone who isn't another Christian. Sooner or later all the resentment and anger comes out at someone who is living as a free person away from this horrible system.

This reminds me of something that happened during the last few months of my rodeo with religion. I don't remember how or why, or even what led me to it, but I looked around at all the people in the congregation during prayer time, and they ALL looked either phony as hell, batshit crazy, or both. 

I was on my way to developing a mental illness during the last year I was there. I'm sure if I'd stayed and gone through with the whole program, I'd definitely have one. I'm so glad to be out of that toxic hellhole. Leaving was probably the best thing I could have ever done for myself, as well as for my family and my future family too. 

• Like 1

Santa has a similar type of prayer going on, kids writing messages to him asking for things to change.  I always thought Santa was just a toy maker but you hear of kids asking Santa for world peace, health, wealth and happiness and the poor old guy has no way to deliver.

Santa is responsible for your material needs. I guess the rest falls on gods... or hey we could just take responsibility as a race and suck it up and accept that we will either make those things for ourselves or just shit on them and keep fighting each other. No god will ever change any of that since only people are in the world to make or break it.

You can see pretty much the same look on teenage girls at a "boy band" concert.  Utter, emotionally attached devotion, bordering on, or even consisting solely of sexual tension/desire.

What you folks aren't getting, is that it's purely emotional.  We look at it intellectually, and logically, and it just can't be understood from that viewpoint.  That's primarily what turned most of us away from the christian walk to the roads we're on now, the sheer hormonal adolescence of it all, which totally fell apart once we took a hard ADULT look at it. 

Sadly, many do experience the cognitive dissonance of the faith, but fail to acknowledge it for fear of losing family/friends/community,  which is a very likely outcome, as I'm sure many here can attest.

Just my 2 cents.Wendyshrug.gif

Yes, religion is a mental illness. It varies in degree.

Have you noticed the smiles on the faces of the most religious? There's a certain type of grin that's hard to describe that they all seem to have. I can usually discern one as soon as I see it.

One of the amusing fallacies that apologeticists (?) use is to legitimize Christianity by saying that because so many people believe it, it must be true.

Yes, religion is a mental illness. It varies in degree.

Have you noticed the smiles on the faces of the most religious? There's a certain type of grin that's hard to describe that they all seem to have. I can usually discern one as soon as I see it.

One of the amusing fallacies that apologeticists (?) use is to legitimize Christianity by saying that because so many people believe it, it must be true.

I have seen that grin, it looks like it belongs on the face of "The Joker". Ted Haggard does a mean fixed Christian grin

My psychiatrist (psychologist? I always get them confused.) Said he has no doubt in his mind that my strict, fundamental christian upbringing is what caused my mental illness to surface sooner then it might have otherwise. He said if my parents had chosen a different path I wouldn't have struggled so long undiagnosed because "prayer was supposed to fix me"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Furball

Mark 5:15 And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and "in his right mind": and they were afraid.-they should be afraid, if being in your "right" mind means believing this crap.

Christians are totally brainwashed to think they are lowest of the low. They always feel inferior. They are so defensive and, I will say this, seem to be incapable of any deep friendship with anyone who isn't another Christian. Sooner or later all the resentment and anger comes out at someone who is living as a free person away from this horrible system.

Quoted for truth.

Deva: I don't usually think of Xtians as people who think of themselves as inferior, but rather as superior. I know that is too much of a generalization. But that

superior attitude of so many of them is what is so disgusting. I guess I'm thinking mostly of the leaders and big talkers. Oh, they talk about humility and all the other "fruits of the spirit" but don't display any evidence of it. On the other hand, the Xtians who feel like third class citizens and also

behave like they are inferior are the ones I feel sorry for. These poor folks see Xtianity as the one place where they don't have to compete intellectually

and in other ways. They think faith is sufficient to make them equal to others. But that is why, I think, these folks are very defensive and intransigent

when their faith is challenged or when Xtianity is challenged. Their faith is the one thing in the world they have that can make them pretend to be okay.

It is really sad. Rip

Delusional, or putting on a show for the sake of appearances.  My sister used to work with a couple of Xtain woman and they were talking one day about being in church, praying these sinner's prayers, and then two minutes later laughing about it all in the ladies' room.  It was something expected of them so they gave it, knowing the whole time how silly and asinine it all was.

Deva: I don't usually think of Xtians as people who think of themselves as inferior, but rather as superior. I know that is too much of a generalization. But that

superior attitude of so many of them is what is so disgusting. I guess I'm thinking mostly of the leaders and big talkers. Oh, they talk about humility and all the other "fruits of the spirit" but don't display any evidence of it. On the other hand, the Xtians who feel like third class citizens and also

behave like they are inferior are the ones I feel sorry for. These poor folks see Xtianity as the one place where they don't have to compete intellectually

and in other ways. They think faith is sufficient to make them equal to others. But that is why, I think, these folks are very defensive and intransigent

when their faith is challenged or when Xtianity is challenged. Their faith is the one thing in the world they have that can make them pretend to be okay.

It is really sad. Rip

Well, naturally they come off as superior, but it is BECAUSE at the core, they feel inferior. Its pure and simple a defensive mechanism. You are right, they are very defensive, and the best defense is a good offense.

I would say there are Christians who you can obviously see who think they are nothing, but there are the others, who think they are superior to you and are on some higher moral plane. It depends on the personality as to which will manifest.

Yes, its extremely sad, and I have experienced some of this first hand very recently.

Guest Furball

Delusional, or putting on a show for the sake of appearances.  My sister used to work with a couple of Xtain woman and they were talking one day about being in church, praying these sinner's prayers, and then two minutes later laughing about it all in the ladies' room.  It was something expected of them so they gave it, knowing the whole time how silly and asinine it all was.

When i was in church after the service guys would be in the bathroom talking about betting and gambling.

I certainly felt like I was mentally ill close to the end of my time as a christian. I would pray or talk to god and feel like I was praying to the air or talking to the air or myself and that no one was listening to me. I couldn't say or think certain things or do the things I wanted to do without feeling like god was getting upset at me for them. I was praying every hour and doing all the stuff I thought god wanted me to do to keep him from getting upset at me.(And I got no results from all that praying. What a waste! When I was a christian, I used to think that prayer worked for me at rare times. But now that I'm not a christian and I look back on it, I realize that those so-called answered prayers were just coincidences.). I did this stuff to remain on god's good side so I could make the rapture and escape the great tribulation on earth. I was driven mad by these things. It was either get out or go to the mental institution. So I chose to get out!

Alot of that sounds familiar.Ive been on these forums for a few years and your sentiment that you felt you were menatlly ill as a christian is one that alot of us have felt about ourselves inc me.

I genuinely did have some enduring mental health problems some of which came about because of the strictures of christianity however when I look back I think the last few years I was really bad and this was the 'end game' of my 'christian walk'.The difficulties I expereinced and the anger that built up in me led to my deconversion.

Overall I did many many loopy prayer based things and my whole view of life was extremely unbalanced and weird.Nowadays I still have some of the anxiety and depression I had but nowhere near as much.None of you know me and i tend to come here to vent and express myself in a safe and accepting place however in my personal life I am the healthiest i have been as an adult.

Guest Furball

I certainly felt like I was mentally ill close to the end of my time as a christian. I would pray or talk to god and feel like I was praying to the air or talking to the air or myself and that no one was listening to me. I couldn't say or think certain things or do the things I wanted to do without feeling like god was getting upset at me for them. I was praying every hour and doing all the stuff I thought god wanted me to do to keep him from getting upset at me.(And I got no results from all that praying. What a waste! When I was a christian, I used to think that prayer worked for me at rare times. But now that I'm not a christian and I look back on it, I realize that those so-called answered prayers were just coincidences.). I did this stuff to remain on god's good side so I could make the rapture and escape the great tribulation on earth. I was driven mad by these things. It was either get out or go to the mental institution. So I chose to get out!

however in my personal life I am the healthiest i have been as an adult.

I am so happy for you. I too am feeling so much more positive and happy as an adult now that I am out. -peace