Goodbye Jesus

A Question About Sacrifices

amateur

I'm going to throw a question out there to you smarter people.  I was wondering why the bible is full of Jewish people sacrificing animals of all types, but Jews today don't sacrifice.  I know jesus was supposed to be the be-all sacrifice for god for xians, but what changed for the Jews?  When did they quit sacrificing, and why?

Signed,

Curious

I'm probably no smarter than you.  Maybe less so.  Therefore, I don't know the answer.  This may give you a couple of clues - though the "we've got nowhere to do it" answer doesn't entirely convince me:

http://www.jewfaq.org/qorbanot.htm

I don't know about modern Jews… but way way back it's very likely that they sacrificed first born children as well as animals. Many cultures did in the remote past.. and not so remote (Aztec, headhunters)

I am not sure if this is right, but it seems like I have read that animals could only be sacrificed in the Temple in Jerusalem, in a certain place within that Temple. When that Temple was destroyed by the Romans, the sacrificial system was destroyed as well, since no other places for the sacrifice were acceptable.

Guest Furball

Yeah they need altars to do it. Jerusalem was the main place, but afterward, you got me, don't know why they didn't set up alters in the wilderness and sacrifice there as they did in the old days before jerusalem. -peace

I'm probably no smarter than you.  Maybe less so.  Therefore, I don't know the answer.  This may give you a couple of clues - though the "we've got nowhere to do it" answer doesn't entirely convince me:

http://www.jewfaq.org/qorbanot.htm

Thanks everyone for the answers!  I mean the "semi-answers" since it all seems rather vague to me!

The website above is interesting.  I agree that the "we've got nowhere to do it" answer doesn't make total sense. 

I guess it always seemed to me that the OT was full of sacrifices, and god being pleased or displeased with them and wreaking happiness or havoc on the people because of them.  The bible made it seem like such a big deal back then.  I guess if god were real, he could still tell people where he would like the sacrifices to occur.