Goodbye Jesus

" Religious Freedom" A Weapon Of The Powerful

R. S. Martin

The diocese intends to appeal the jury’s verdict to the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeal, with attorney John Theisen stating the case remains an issue of religious freedom, and that exemptions in civil rights laws for religious employers should have protected the diocese from the unfavorable verdict. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/jury-awards-grave-immoral-sinner-catholic-teacher-1-9-million-for-in-vitro-fertilization-firing/

But this woman told the school board what she was doing and they employed her anyway. Trouble came only when an even higher authority decided she was a "grave immoral sinner." 

It is my understanding that "religious freedom" was originally a term used by less powerful citizens seeking protection from powerful church authorities such as those of the Roman Catholic Church. It's twisted that the diocese leaders want to appeal a verdict based on "religious freedom." The term seems to have lost its meaning so that now it can be used as a weapon by the powerful to get what they want.

Guest Furball

The link didn't work, so i cannot reply to as i wish. Although on a side note i heard the roman catholic church has finances in the billion dollar range. Jesus is rich

That link worked for me. I guess the one in the OP didn't work because I put it in the quote box. I look forward to discussion.

Wow, I had no idea the Catholic church was against IVF. So glad I'm not part of that any more. All those stupid rules.

IVF-  A grave mortal sin

Owning slaves and beating them-Godly

Superstitious idiots

Guest Furball

IVF-  A grave mortal sin

Owning slaves and beating them-Godly

Superstitious idiots

This is off topic, but speaking about mortal sins, where did the catholic church come up with mortal and venial? I don't remember reading anything about that in the bible.

Guest Furball

That link worked for me. I guess the one in the OP didn't work because I put it in the quote box. I look forward to discussion.

The new link works for me. Thanks for reposting it.

Ha! Take that Jesus! you monster

Huh? Oh you're talking about the RC getting knocked in court.

What pisses me off is this bully now wants to appeal on the basis of religious persecution.

Common citizens fled--risked their lives to get--to the wilds of North America and other places on the planet to escape the religious persecution of the Roman Catholic Church. The woman did what she could to live and work in peace. Now the monster can't get her through regular court so it appeals on the basis of religious persecution!?!?!

Can anything be more twisted?

Okay, I'm beginning to understand what "religious persecution" means to Roman Catholics. It means being denied absolute power to dictate, rule, control, and worship as we see fit.

Here are some quotes from Vatican arrests Femen activist who bared breasts in St. Peter's Square http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/26/vatican-arrests-femen-activist-who-bared-breasts-in-st-peters-square?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=recommend-button&utm_campaign=Vatican+arrests+Femen+activist+who+bared+breasts+in+St+Peter%27s+Square Emphasis is added.

Femen's website says the woman was protesting as part of its anti-clerical "Massacre of the Innocents" campaign contesting religions' "maniacal desire to control women's fertility".

He said she was accused of vilification of religion, obscene acts in public, and theft. He said her action "offended the religious feelings of many people".

Lombardi said the group had "intentionally, repeatedly and gravely violated the right of the faithful to see their legitimate religious convictions respected".

This is outrageous! Any mature and loving adult could see that this woman was driven to desperation. Were it not for "might makes right," no one could have done a thing. Just like the Roman Catholic parishioners, she belongs to an organized group with publicly stated principles of philosophy. She has just as much right as the religious to express her beliefs. I repeat, I am sure she did not want to do this but someone had to so she did it.

Instead of arresting her, the religious should be asking: What need are we overlooking?

But they are too busy defending an indefensible concept. Jesus supposedly said his followers would be persecuted, but these people fear the "vilification" of their religion--an honour they do not extend to the others. 

They arrest a woman because religious "feelings" have been offended. But what about the "feelings" of this woman who had to debase herself merely to get heard, who must submit to being jailed? Besides, I think Jesus had something to say about the nobility of suffering offense for his sake, if the scholars of the Vatican could be bothered to apply the scripture to themselves.

And yes, women do have rights whether or not the Vatican likes it.