Goodbye Jesus

I Love The World

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

Love the posts.

I love the feel of the warm sun, the cool rain, the sound of birds foraging in the trees. All the sounds of my neighborhood: People out walking, happy and Uber sad hipsters, The contented sounds of my Wife, when She nests in for the night. I love seeing my daughter explore new things, figuring out what it is that she wants to do. The world, the universe, is a big wonderful place.

I will never forget this past April, the day after our anniversary, I was sitting outside with my ukulele, I'm not very good, but I was enjoying it. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and I realized deep down that this world is not some evil corrupt place that is about to be destroyed. I allowed myself the pleasure of experiencing it as it is, something I had done secretly without even admitting to myself before.

This.

Very good post. I'm glad you were able to get out of this secular vs holy thinking and embrace the world around you. Many are far too afraid to ever try it.

I always hated the Christians who like to diss anything "secular." I remember some lady criticizing my artwork because nothing I drew had a religious theme. It was all drawings of animals. She told me anytime I draw something secular it's a wasted opportunity to have drawn something glorifying god.

I think it is eye opening if you travel to someplace where there are barely any Christians at all. It's weird to see everybody getting along just fine blissfully unaware their souls are in eternal danger. One woman I met hadn't even heard the concept of Christian eschatology. She had no idea the world is about to end when Jesus returns. As I explained it to her, I could tell it was just an amusing scary story for her. She had no worries about it being true at all.

The world is far too beautiful to spend your days worrying about a bunch of myths dreamed up thousands of years ago. The more you open yourself to the world, the more likely your delusion will start to crumble away. Cults discourage interacting with the outside world for this very reason.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Very good post. I'm glad you were able to get out of this secular vs holy thinking and embrace the world around you. Many are far too afraid to ever try it.

I always hated the Christians who like to diss anything "secular." I remember some lady criticizing my artwork because nothing I drew had a religious theme. It was all drawings of animals. She told me anytime I draw something secular it's a wasted opportunity to have drawn something glorifying god.

I think it is eye opening if you travel to someplace where there are barely any Christians at all. It's weird to see everybody getting along just fine blissfully unaware their souls are in eternal danger. One woman I met hadn't even heard the concept of Christian eschatology. She had no idea the world is about to end when Jesus returns. As I explained it to her, I could tell it was just an amusing scary story for her. She had no worries about it being true at all.

The world is far too beautiful to spend your days worrying about a bunch of myths dreamed up thousands of years ago. The more you open yourself to the world, the more likely your delusion will start to crumble away. Cults discourage interacting with the outside world for this very reason.

god, I hated the word "secular" growing up.  Secular this and secular that and it was all of the devil. 

The thing is "secular" musicians sing about things that are common to all of humanity: love, death, loss, even sex.  Why wouldn't a normal human being want to hear another's thoughts on things that impact us all? 

And "secular" art, same thing.  Sure, a select few can be moved by in image of a person being tortured to death on a cross; but I'm willing to bet just about anybody who's ever looked at "The Screamer" has probably thought, "I know the feeling!"

This is one of the things that makes the world so beautiful to me: the shared humanity that each of us experience.  This is why I love the hustle of busy city streets.  The music of buskers, the sights and sounds of street performers, the vivid colors of street art.  The speak to all of us on different levels; but only if we're listening.

• Like 3

I love this!! And I can really relate. Christianity made me feel like I couldn't fully partake in the world, I had to sit on the outside. I couldn't love people the way I wanted to because of all of the belief stuff that got in the way. I couldn't enjoy as much because I was supposed to sacrifice. I couldn't care about the environment as much because this world wasn't supposed to matter as much as heaven. I couldn't fully accept myself because I had to feel bad for even being human.. and woman.

I love how you talked about traveling. That is something I want to do a lot more of in the future. Thanks for sharing!!

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

I love how you talked about traveling. That is something I want to do a lot more of in the future. Thanks for sharing!!

Do it, MyOwn.  The world is truly an awe-inspiring place.

• Like 1

Guest Furball

I love this!! And I can really relate. Christianity made me feel like I couldn't fully partake in the world, I had to sit on the outside. I couldn't love people the way I wanted to because of all of the belief stuff that got in the way. I couldn't enjoy as much because I was supposed to sacrifice. I couldn't care about the environment as much because this world wasn't supposed to matter as much as heaven. I couldn't fully accept myself because I had to feel bad for even being human.. and woman.

Great post myown. It's full of truth. Welcome to ex-c

Great post. I hate to sound ignorant, but what is shashlik?

Shishkabab.  It's Georgian food, but pretty much enjoyed by all Russians, and I guess probably Ukrainians. 

• Super Moderator

Great post. I hate to sound ignorant, but what is shashlik?

Shishkabab.  It's Georgian food, but pretty much enjoyed by all Russians, and I guess probably Ukrainians. 

Funny thing is, nobody here in Georgia has ever heard of it.  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif  

Yeah, Ceiling Cat, it's basically kababs grilled over an open fire.  My brother-in-law is much better at making it than I am.  He makes a marinade with mayonnaise and some kind of incredible blend of spices and herbs and lets it sit for two to three days before grilling it. 

Plus, there's always vodka and beer.  Did you know, over there, you can buy beer in 2 Liter bottles, like we buy Pepsi over here?

• Like 1

Guest Furball

Did you know, over there, you can buy beer in 2 Liter bottles, like we buy Pepsi over here?

Never knew that. I am not sure if thats a good thing or bad. Sounds like it might taste bad out of a 2 liter bottle though.

• Super Moderator

Did you know, over there, you can buy beer in 2 Liter bottles, like we buy Pepsi over here?

Never knew that. I am not sure if thats a good thing or bad. Sounds like it might taste bad out of a 2 liter bottle though.

Nah.  You generally buy it for occasions where there will be at least a few people around and you share it.  Though, I have seen an entire two liter bottle be chugged by one individual.

Those are called 40s in the US. :)

And the quality is pretty much the same.  I wouldn't touch Arsenal or any other 2-liter bottle of beer.  The only ones I've seen drinking them here are alcoholics. 

Years ago, I got stuck on a mini van to Helsinki (long story) with a guy drinking a bottle of Arsenal.  It was the red-eye and he decided to start fighting with another passenger about 4 a.m. in the middle of the Finnish forest, miles from the nearest dacha, much less town.  I tried calming him down saying 'Bce Xorosho' (everything's alright) but he couldn't be consoled.  So, the driver just dumped him off on the road where there wasn't even cell phone coverage.

That big bottle beer is nothing to mess with.  :)

• Super Moderator

Those are called 40s in the US. smile.png

And the quality is pretty much the same.  I wouldn't touch Arsenal or any other 2-liter bottle of beer.  The only ones I've seen drinking them here are alcoholics. 

Years ago, I got stuck on a mini van to Helsinki (long story) with a guy drinking a bottle of Arsenal.  It was the red-eye and he decided to start fighting with another passenger about 4 a.m. in the middle of the Finnish forest, miles from the nearest dacha, much less town.  I tried calming him down saying 'Bce Xorosho' (everything's alright) but he couldn't be consoled.  So, the driver just dumped him off on the road where there wasn't even cell phone coverage.

That big bottle beer is nothing to mess with.  smile.png

Generally, Baltika is about the only Russian beer I trust; though I've tried a few of the Ukranian ones and they're not too bad.  But, yeah, we only do the two liters when it's a family get-together at the dacha.

My buddy is in the baltika a marketing department.

• Like 1

Great post!  Yes, the world is wonderful and people can be so wonderful, too -- how much fun people of all types can be.  How wonderful to get to know different people.

"The world is so full of a number of things,

I think that we all should be happy as kings."

-- Robert Louis Stevenson

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more with the OP and the rest of you, and something occurred to me while I was reading all of your wonderful stories and descriptions.

I need to get out more!

• Like 1

The OP is great. Man, I have never seen a post with 11 likes before. What's your specialty, Professor? Literature?

• Super Moderator

The OP is great. Man, I have never seen a post with 11 likes before. What's your specialty, Professor? Literature?

I hold a degree in secondary English education; but after returning to school for a second degree, I'd say my current specialty is Biology.

• Like 1