Goodbye Jesus

The Odd One Out And Alright With That

DragonTheDruid

Okay, I have tried to write this a couple times, but thanks to my ADHD it’s all very fragmented and hard to follow, so let’s try this again!

You can call me Dragon, DtD, or Druid, whichever. I don’t mind.

I’m currently 17, but will be 18 in fifteen days, and I’m the middle child in my family (who are mostly all Christian)

I’m an artist, I wish to become a freelance illustrator or work in a studio/with someone on graphic novels, and currently am writing and drawing my own graphic novel. I also love lizards and have 3 bearded dragons, 7 crested geckos, a gargoyle gecko, and a leopard gecko.

This whole deconversion journey I’ve taken on by myself, as I live in the ‘Bible belt’ of Washington state and almost everyone here, except a few, are Christian it would seem.

So I’ve doubted Christianity for a long time now(not as long as some due to my young age!) but had been going to church ever since I was born I think up until just a couple years ago. I used to go to church every Sunday where I’d go to the class for my own grade, until my mom started saying I should go to service, which was always boring as hell and made me anxious and feel guilty. So I was never a fan.  It left me feeling ‘doom and gloom’ for a little while afterwards.

I like to google any little question that comes to mind, so I was often googling ‘Why do Christians think _____?’ or ‘Why do Christians do________’ ‘Should a Christian do/get/use______’, things like that. All answers, or lack thereof, led me to really confirm my doubts of ‘This is pretty much bologna’.  Especially when it came to my searching about why the bible is against gay folk, or why women are discriminated against. Particularly I hated the fact that the man of the house was considered ‘superior’ and I would always have to ask dad for something if I wanted something, and mom didn’t have the ‘authority’ to let me do something without making sure dad was alright. I suppose I didn’t like this since I was closer to mom anyway, though I don’t have a bad relation with my dad. In fact, I don’t think he’s even a Christian! Though he’s never  outwardly stated it, the times I’ve brought up religious concerns or confusion to my mother, she’s commented how Dad and I could have good conversations about it since he’s the same way. He only prays during family holiday dinners, and this Christmas he even added after the ‘Amen’: And happy birthday. Even though it’s in April.’

My dad’s birthday is in April, so my mom thought he was talking about that, but then dad clarified how that’s when Jesus was most likely born, and I said: Or September… no one really knows.’’

And mom just answered how ‘Well, this is when we celebrate it’. I think I may have mentioned something like ‘’Well, why shouldn’t Christians celebrate at this time, too? That’s when Saturnalia, the winter Solstice and all the other fun winter festivals are!  They got jealous of the heathens having fun and wanted to join in!’’ Not my exact words, but close enough!

When I knew that Christianity was false and made me more depressed and stressed out than anything, I started searching for alternatives. Around nature and the Earth is where I felt most at home and happiest, and the most spiritual and peace, and I knew I didn’t really like organised religion either, so I looked for specifically ‘Earth centered spirituality’ and along with remembering a post I saw on facebook about one of my friend’s friends stating they were a pagan, I decided to look into Paganism and loved it! I’m not a polytheist, but rather a Pantheist(and I’m not a Druid, despite my username, I just like reading about Druids and I love dragons =P ). I don’t believe in specific gods or goddesses, but I do use them as symbols more. Like Poseidon would be a symbol for the ocean, and Thor a symbol for thunder and lighting. I have a ‘Live and Let Live’ mindset, but I do get easily frustrated with Christians, as I hate how naïve and brainwashed they can seem at times. The school I went to was filled with Christians, and while they were all nice people, they drove me near insane with the constant mentioning of ‘God and Jesus’. It wasn’t even a Christian school in name(but it was a college prep school you had to test to get into). I only lasted there two and a half years before I dropped out due to depression and anxiety the school was causing me( and the ADHD problems of being unable to focus when needed.)

My best friend is a Christian though, and she isn’t hardcore at all, rarely mentions God, and is extremely tolerant of those with different beliefs. She’s pretty great honestly haha.

I suppose I’m not ‘in the closet’ with not being a Christian, but a lot of people don’t seem to either believe me when I say I’m not, or like my mom said ‘You’ve already accepted Jesus before so you’re still saved’.

I am glad to have gotten out when I was young, but I think being bisexual/leaning more homosexual, that’s one thing that really pushed me over the edge. I hated the intolerance I saw online and just didn’t think Christians could possibly be right and their beliefs just were a complete contradiction to my own beliefs. Plus they stole half of what they preach and celebrate.

Anyway, I know this isn’t that exciting or anything, but I figured I should post it. Hopefully it’s not as disjointed as my last attempts at writing this! 

• Like 2

Welcome to ex-C!  Congrats on figuring out this much.  Now it's time to live life.

Welcome to ExC, Dragon.

Congratulations on finding out the truth about Christianity and getting out, especially being so young. There are several members here who like paganism.

I hope to hear more from you

Thanks for the welcome everyone =) Definitely agree it's time to live life! I must say I am MUCH more positive and happier since I deconverted.

Welcome to ex-c!

I am hoping to move to washington this year, where exactly is the bible belt so i can avoid it? Thanks

Battle Ground's the city which I consider the 'bible belt'. It's pretty far south, only about 45 minutes to Portland, OR. Northern WA and closer to downtown Vancouver are probably a lot less densely packed with Christians haha. No one here has seemed intolerant when I talk to them, so that's a good thing! It's a mostly conservative tiny area which has way more people in it than it should nowadays. (Population's doubled in this city since I moved here nine years ago). I've not had issues with the people personally. It's a great state, really! Extremely beautiful. Lots of drizzly rain, and rarely any strong downpours. The summer heat sucks, but it's gorgeous all year round in my opinion =) 

Welcome, Dragon!  It's always nice to hear about people seeing their way clear of Christianity while they are still young.  Celebrate your freedom!

Thanks, TrueFreedom! It's nice to talk to other people who have also left. I must tell you I LOVE your icon as well! Firefly is amazing =)

• Like 1

LOL... only a true western Washingtonian would say that our "summer heat" sucks. Those damn 75 degree temps. ;) Just messin with ya :) I live just north of Seattle, and I, too, hate overly hot summer temps.

I also find paganism and pantheism to be awesome.

Welcome to the boards. You are one of only two other Washingtonians I have met on here. Go Hawks! :)

I would happily move farther north if I could haha. This summer the temps were like a constant 80-95, down here at least! 75 is the max temp I like honestly =P  Yeah I'm a true north-westerner. Despite being born in Colorado, I grew up in Oregon and Washingtion and I quite like this state. I'd move overseas oneday if I could or at least to somewhere cheaper, depending on how easy it is to move overseas with a Bearded Dragon or two...

And I always enjoy meeting other Washingtonians online!  

Yeah, I guess that's true, it does get a bit hotter if one goes further south. OK I'll cut ya some slack. ;)

Hey Dragon, welcome and nice to meet someone else on here who keeps reptiles! I have a Thayeri kingsnake, a crested gecko, a chahoua gecko, pictus geckos and a few salamanders and millipedes.

Glad you saw through Christianity at a young age.

Hey! I'm also from Washington! Closer to the Puget Sound though.

I'm glad to read your testimony :)

Welcome to the forum! I was always the odd one out myself, but, like you, I was fine with that.

Thanks everyone =) 

Guest Furball

Thanks for the welcome everyone =) Definitely agree it's time to live life! I must say I am MUCH more positive and happier since I deconverted.

Welcome to ex-c!

I am hoping to move to washington this year, where exactly is the bible belt so i can avoid it? Thanks

Battle Ground's the city which I consider the 'bible belt'. It's pretty far south, only about 45 minutes to Portland, OR. Northern WA and closer to downtown Vancouver are probably a lot less densely packed with Christians haha. No one here has seemed intolerant when I talk to them, so that's a good thing! It's a mostly conservative tiny area which has way more people in it than it should nowadays. (Population's doubled in this city since I moved here nine years ago). I've not had issues with the people personally. It's a great state, really! Extremely beautiful. Lots of drizzly rain, and rarely any strong downpours. The summer heat sucks, but it's gorgeous all year round in my opinion =) 

Hi, thanks for the info. I hope you enjoy this site. -peace

Welcome.   I wish I'd deconverted when I was so young

Welcome.

I thought we were all odd...

Anyhow, you have found your way out of Christianity and into an appreciation of nature - always a good place to be.

Welcome.

I thought we were all odd...

Anyhow, you have found your way out of Christianity and into an appreciation of nature - always a good place to be.

Heh, perhaps we are all odd, but I was more referencing my circle of IRL family and friends! 

And I agree-- it's a good place to be.

Welcome to ExC and congrats on figuring it out so early in life.