Goodbye Jesus

Plan For Retirement

Ro-bear

My father died at 42. My uncles, aunts, grandparents died in their 50s. I have two relatives that made it to official retirement age. Several of my relatives died during surgeries that were supposed to save them. There is no guarantee of reaching retirement age.

This preamble contradicts the idea that saving for retirement is a good idea (at least for you). If these facts have no bearing on your actions, it's unclear why you brought them up.  Indeed, it's lead to confusion.

I think your point is that a person should live a little (or a lot, if they can) because they might not live long. However, if you knew you were going to live a long life, wouldn't you still advise spending some money on luxuries, as you say the penny-pinchers you knew should have done? ;)

I apologize if my comments upset you--I didn't intend them to.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

My father died at 42. My uncles, aunts, grandparents died in their 50s. I have two relatives that made it to official retirement age. Several of my relatives died during surgeries that were supposed to save them. There is no guarantee of reaching retirement age.

This preamble contradicts the idea that saving for retirement is a good idea (at least for you). If these facts have no bearing on your actions, it's unclear why you brought them up. Indeed, it's lead to confusion.

I apologize if my comments upset you--I didn't intend them to.

In response to this:

Memories of vacations will be cold comfort when they can't afford "elective" surgery, lawn care or a dinner out.

It seems you are giving that as an example of a frivolous expense you don't care about anyway. In which case yes, don't blow money on silly things you don't care about. I agree with this.

I am responding to the idea that we shouldn't enjoy certain expensive things because someday we might think we wish we had that money we spent. Yes, someday I might regret the expensive fun things I did in my life and wish I had the money to prolong or better my old age. But also, someday I might wish I had done more things in my life and regret that now I have lots of money in the bank but am too feeble to do enjoy myself. I am just saying that I believe I will find comfort in my memories when I am old regardless of my wealth. I hope if I'm someday too old and too broke to do anything then I will be comforted by my memories of my life. Money and material things come and go. My memory of my life will stay until either I die or dementia robs me of my sanity.

And so I give the example of my short living family to illustrate why I feel too much focus on retirement is not the preferred way for me to live my life. I save for retirement as a contingency plan. I have low expectations of actually reaching the traditional retirement age, but I save anyway because otherwise I would feel stress worrying about, "What if I DO live to be old and broke?" So I save for retirement and I spend on certain things without regrets. I'm not living beyond my means. I want to find the balance that suits my personality the best. I have been surround by a lot of "young death" in my life. It has influenced my views greatly. I've seen the regrets of the dying. I don't want to die with regrets. That's all I'm saying.

It is an alternative viewpoint. I'm not saying your ideas are wrong. I am not saying mine are right. I'm offering an alternative way of looking at it and offering my reasons for my viewpoint. For me personally, I'd rather regret not doing what I wanted to do than regret not having extra money in old age. If my memories of my awesome life are all I have to comfort me in my old age, then I'll be happy. I'm not saying I make all my life decisions on that philosophy. I'm just giving an alternative viewpoint.

I think your point is that a person should live a little (or a lot, if they can) because they might not live long. However, if you knew you were going to live a long life, wouldn't you still advise spending some money on luxuries, as you say the penny-pinchers you knew should have done? wink.png

I replied before I saw the edit. Yes, this is what I am saying. I am choosing between two hypothetical future regrets. I feel I know which hypothetical outcome I would regret more.