Goodbye Jesus

On Approach To Dwarf Planet Ceres

bornagainathiest

The Bad Astronomer is on it too. Cool stuff :)

I hope we send something to orbit and make a detailed exploration.

I hope we find aliens. Hot, scantly clad, aliens!!!

It's an exciting time in which we live. I think most of us remember when we were taught that our solar system was composed of the Sun, nine planets, some moons orbiting planets, various comets and asteroids, and debris between Mars and Jupiter. And here we have a craft approaching a dwarf planet!! Wow!!

Cool. I wonder what that bright spot is?

My guess is "recently" excavated ice reflecting sunlight, CC.

E.g., this...  http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2009/24sep_martianice/ ...found on Mars back in '08.  

That martian ice disappears over time because it sublimes (turns directly to vapor without going thru a liquid phase) and/or gets covered up with dust transported by the martian atmosphere.  But Ceres is millions of miles further away from the Sun than Mars, is colder and has no appreciable atmosphere to transport any dust.  So when I say, 'recently' I'm guessing that a meteorite impact excavated a crater and exposed the sub-surface ice thousands or even millions of years ago.

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough!  smile.png

Thanks,

BAA.

Guest Furball

Thanks for the info, I love learning. I would say you were right on about it being an ice reflection. Appreciate it BAA, thanks-CC

I hope we find aliens. Hot, scantly clad, aliens!!!

I'm for that, as well! Nubile, sexy young things who desire nothing but virile earthling males, no matter how nerdy!

Eh, and a corresponding supply of hunks for the non-lesbian ladies and the non-straight blokes. Let's be fair here and think of everyone :)

I hope we send something to orbit and make a detailed exploration.

That's what Dawn is doing. It spent quite a while at Vesta, and it will also spend quite a bit of time around Ceres. This mission isn't just a flyby.