Goodbye Jesus

Should Humans Pursue Immortality?

bleedblue22

For me the idea that some people could live forever and some not is awful.

Getting old and ill scares me a bit, but it's a part of life. Someone mentioned in this thread how energy can't be destroyed, it only takes different forms. I too like that thought. Some plant growing near where I die is welcome to recycle my life energy. Or if we have a soul and it's born again with consciousness, well, that'll be a different life story that time.

• 2 weeks later...

No.

I think we should just live this life to the fullest and accept death as a part of life.

extend life expectancy yes, pursue immortality no.  That seems unnatural, like Voldemort.

extend life expectancy yes, pursue immortality no.  That seems unnatural, like Voldemort.

My feelings are pretty much the same as this. I'm all for extending life, finding cures for diseases that would otherwise kill us early. Heck, I wouldn't be against adding a few years or ten to the average life expectancy in the developed world (as long as one was able to be active and had their faculties intact).

Immortality on the other hand is too long, with an infinite length of time to live there would be no urgency, no necessity to do anything. If you have all the time in the world why not lie in today, do that project some other time, and when there was nothing left to do, and life becomes a chore rather than an exciting adventure - what then? I have much the same problem with the concepts of an eternal Heaven or Hell.

I would submit humanity's penchant for destruction and its limited resources as reasons for not pursuing immortality. If we do find a way to live forever, then our limited resources may not matter, but I would still say our history of destruction would be a reason not to seek it out.

Oh no. I would like to live for a few hundred years, perhaps a few thousand, but I'm sure that it's enough for me after that time. No immortality for me.

And this life is also long enough (at least I hope it will be smile.png)

• 3 weeks later...

Dying a slow painful death scares me. Not death. There was a guy in my hometown, 80, deaf, half blind. Got hit by a train walking his dog. Thats how iw want to go out. Didnt see it coming.

I definately dont want to exist forever. The thought of that makes me tired.

• 3 weeks later...

Immortality would cure austerity as we know it but in my experience in life, there will come a time when immortals will find a way to create an austerity to create a class of elites amongst the immortals and then we go back to the gods again. Perhaps we should leave things as they are?

I was pretty happy to miss the dark ages and world wars. I suspect I'll be just as happy missing all the crap that's going to happen after I die... Immortality is highly overrated.

Barring fatal accidents and diseases, if everyone lived 'forever,' would there be enough resources on the planet to take care of everyone?

I call bullshit.