Goodbye Jesus

I Make Believe That Godzilla

mymistake

Seriously Christians, it this a good argument?

I make believe that Godzilla did visit Earth and spared our lives so Godzilla is good.

I make believe that Godzilla let us live.  We are here so Godzilla is real.

I make believe that Godzilla cannot stand to be in the presence of Mothra.

I make believe that nobody can resist Godzilla's fire breath and live.

Do any of those claims look persuasive or compelling?  If not then why would you make a claim that you believe God something?

I believe God is love.

I believe God is real.

Really?

You might as well claim that you make believe God is real.  It makes as much sense as some loon believing that Godzilla is real.

**Looking at you Ironhorse**

• Like 2

Sam Harris said it better.  In his Atheist Manifesto he states:

The absurdity becomes obvious the moment we swap the notion of God for some other consoling proposition: Imagine, for instance, that a man wants to believe that there is a diamond buried somewhere in his yard that is the size of a refrigerator. No doubt it would feel uncommonly good to believe this. Just imagine what would happen if he then followed the example of religious moderates and maintained this belief along pragmatic lines: When asked why he thinks that there is a diamond in his yard that is thousands of times larger than any yet discovered, he says things like, “This belief gives my life meaning,” or “My family and I enjoy digging for it on Sundays,” or “I wouldn’t want to live in a universe where there wasn’t a diamond buried in my backyard that is the size of a refrigerator.” Clearly these responses are inadequate. But they are worse than that. They are the responses of a madman or an idiot.

http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/atheist-manifesto-dec-7-2005

And of course Friedrich Nietzsche had an elegant way to illustrate this point.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."

Think about that Christians the next time you want to profess you believe God something.

• Like 2

7eb93453e8c8bec313a19c5711a3492b.jpg

Giant lizard moonwalking into the ocean > Sky deity with anger management issues, Lame Jewish charlatan walking on water, and the holy invisible spirit

Jus' sayin'. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Also, when's the last time that God helped to rebuild anything? God has been suspiciously absent from all post-disaster rebuild efforts around the world. Hurricane Sandy? Absent. Hurricane Katrina? Called in sick for almost a decade straight. Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami? Mysteriously absent, although understandable since most of the people affected didn't believe in him. 

How can we expect him to show up for modern disasters when apparently he didn't do jack shit about ancient disasters that he supposedly directly caused? Sodom and Gomorrah? The Great Flood? The ****ordered destruction of most of the ancient middle east as told in Scripture?

Here's a sample of what happens if you read Genesis [the first chapter of the supposed holy word of God] backwards:

Genesis

A lovely young couple named Adam and Eve, who seem to be made for each other, are very sad; so God decides to allow them to play in his garden. Adam all of a sudden regurgitates bits of an apple, followed by Eve.

God gets unaccountably angry and starts smashing things. He kills Eve, chops her up and shoves the bits into Adam’s body. Shortly afterwards, he kills Adam, grinds him into dust and sprinkles him over the ground.

Then, clearly on a psychotic rampage, he wipes out all life on Earth, then vaporises the Earth itself. Over the course of the next few days, God destroys the entire Universe.

And the real beauty of all this is it makes just as much sense as the boring conventional method of reading it, if not far more!

[taken from this site: https://keplersdream.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/read-the-bible-backwards-its-epic/]

Yeah, God's track record is not so good. I think I will stick with Godzilla on this one. 

[****Note: The Old Testament is not a trustworthy historical record and the events portrayed therein are highly unlikely to have happened as recorded.]

• Like 3

Guest Furball

This brings up an age old point. Why is everyone else's faith imaginary, laughable and outright nonsense to a christian, but their faith is seriously legitimate? Think about it christians....

• Like 1

It's funny indeed, it seems to me that nobody ever thinks they're practising a religion, but rather everyone feels connected to their gods on a personal level (or seeks that and occasionally feels it). Ask a muslim or whoever. 

This brings up an age old point. Why is everyone else's faith imaginary, laughable and outright nonsense to a christian, but their faith is seriously legitimate? Think about it christians....

I remember when fundy Harold Camping predicted the world's end back in 2011, other evangelical types mocked him, but not for the reasons that non-Christians would. They basically said, "this prediction is ridiculous; everyone knows the Matthew 24:36 says 'of that day and hour knoweth no man' ".  Just rejecting one looney idea for another.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I don't know what you assholes are on about, but I have a personal relationship with Godzilla and he's as real as your online identity is.

• Like 3

Guest Furball

Sam Harris said it better.  In his Atheist Manifesto he states:

The absurdity becomes obvious the moment we swap the notion of God for some other consoling proposition: Imagine, for instance, that a man wants to believe that there is a diamond buried somewhere in his yard that is the size of a refrigerator. No doubt it would feel uncommonly good to believe this. Just imagine what would happen if he then followed the example of religious moderates and maintained this belief along pragmatic lines: When asked why he thinks that there is a diamond in his yard that is thousands of times larger than any yet discovered, he says things like, “This belief gives my life meaning,” or “My family and I enjoy digging for it on Sundays,” or “I wouldn’t want to live in a universe where there wasn’t a diamond buried in my backyard that is the size of a refrigerator.” Clearly these responses are inadequate. But they are worse than that. They are the responses of a madman or an idiot.

http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/atheist-manifesto-dec-7-2005

And of course Friedrich Nietzsche had an elegant way to illustrate this point.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."

Think about that Christians the next time you want to profess you believe God something.

Awesome post M&M - thank you for sharing those quotes - i up voted that one, you earned it thanks.gif

Guest Furball

I don't know what you assholes are on about, but I have a personal relationship with Godzilla and he's as real as your online identity is.

Can you back this up with evidence? KatieHmm.gif

Guest Furball

I remember when fundy Harold Camping predicted the world's end back in 2011, other evangelical types mocked him, but not for the reasons that non-Christians would. They basically said, "this prediction is ridiculous; everyone knows the Matthew 24:36 says 'of that day and hour knoweth no man' ".  Just rejecting one looney idea for another.

I live like 10 minutes from where this guy's familyradio compound exists. I remember that end of the world debacle clearly. I was glued to the radio listening to this guys rants. They still are trying to get people to send them all their money so they can continue his deranged teachings. 

• Super Moderator

Personal relationships don't require evidence; any more than online identities do.

Guest Furball

Personal relationships don't require evidence; any more than online identities do.

Sold, where do i sign up for your god....

if godzilla was not real, who was in those movies between 1955 to 2014? tongue.png

• Like 1

if godzilla was not real, who was in those movies between 1955 to 2014? tongue.png

an iguana on a miniature soundstage?

balsphemy!!!!

that d*mn iguana is only in the 98 dishonour movie 

:P

I make believe that Godzilla did visit Earth and spared our lives so Godzilla is good.

Do any of those claims look persuasive or compelling?  If not then why would you make a claim that you believe God something?

I believe God is love.

I believe God is real.

Really?

You might as well claim that you make believe God is real.  It makes as much sense as some loon believing that Godzilla is real.

My belief in God differs a bit in a belief in Godzilla.

-The Bible, a collection of 66 books, was written over a span of 1500 years.

-The scriptures explain to me the origin of life, what is right and what is wrong in the world and what has been done to correct it. It offers me a way of life and a future. 

-Countless poems, books, essays, art, and music have been created through the centuries on the Christian faith.

-The help it has given to people and society.

-And more here:

“Yale historian Jeroslav Pelikan wrote, "Regardless of what anyone may personally think or believe about him, Jesus of Nazareth has been the dominant figure in the history of Western Culture for almost 20 centuries. If it were possible, with some sort of super magnet, to pull up out of history every scrap of metal bearing at least a trace of his name, how much would be left?"

It turns out that the life of Jesus is a comet with an exceedingly long tale. Here are some shards of his impact that most often surprise people: 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-ortberg/six-surprising-ways-jesus_b_1773225.html

My belief in God differs a bit in a belief in Godzilla.

-The Bible, a collection of 66 books, was written over a span of 1500 years.

-The scriptures explain to me the origin of life, what is right and what is wrong in the world and what has been done to correct it. It offers me a way of life and a future. 

-Countless poems, books, essays, art, and music have been created through the centuries on the Christian faith.

-The help it has given to people and society.

-And more here:

“Yale historian Jeroslav Pelikan wrote, "Regardless of what anyone may personally think or believe about him, Jesus of Nazareth has been the dominant figure in the history of Western Culture for almost 20 centuries. If it were possible, with some sort of super magnet, to pull up out of history every scrap of metal bearing at least a trace of his name, how much would be left?"

It turns out that the life of Jesus is a comet with an exceedingly long tale. Here are some shards of his impact that most often surprise people: 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-ortberg/six-surprising-ways-jesus_b_1773225.html

No, not different.

I can look up the data and tell you how many books and movies Godzilla was in.

GodDidIt! does not explain the origin of life.  It is a fairy tale.

Countless people have enjoyed Godzilla movies.

We can count the decades in which Godzilla has been trending.  

Your belief in God is no different and certainly no better.

If the Bible, a collection of 66 books written over a long span of time, reveals God, then the New York Public Library, a collection of 52,946,398 books and other items must be where we learn about God's creator.

• Like 5

If the Bible, a collection of 66 books written over a long span of time, reveals God, then the New York Public Library, a collection of 52,946,398 books and other items must be where we learn about God's creator.

I think there's much more truth to this than a lot of readers will realize! Literally!

Guest Furball

nice one!

Yes, the NY Pubic Library, along with thousands of other libraries, are great places to learn about homo sapiens sapiens, the creator of the Christian Gods, Angels, Sprites and Demons.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe God is love.

I believe God is real.

Really?

....but, as Paul Tillich might have said if he weighed in on the subject, Godzilla is the Ground Zero of Being.  And if you don't believe that social truth, then you besmirch the good name of Godzilla. repuke.gif