Goodbye Jesus

Fake Extimonies?

zuker12

Well, theoretically, why could anyone here not make things up? It's obvious that the fundies do it. Of course they have entirely different reasons for doing so, stemming from low self-esteem, delusion, over-weighted importance on the message, exaggeration, overestimation of the healing/restorative/etc power that xtianity has, lust for power/money, narcissism, obsessive need for being "right" and "safe"... etc etc.

Keep in mind this post is not to stir shit up here. It is merely contemplating. I've not seen any testimonies here that click as unbelievable or dishonest with me.

To fake testimonies, you must also fake depression, You must fake your terror of hell, suicidal thoughts, fear of being kicked out of your own family and your circle of friends, fear of being alone in a world of believers, etc........That's a lot of faking to do for one person.

That's what I have read about on Ex-c for 4 years........I don't suppose most people would do this unless their own lives were so empty and they had nothing better to do with their time.

The people who are comparing the Christians making fun of us to those who make fun of recovering abuse survivors, you all are correct in your analysis I think. Not all of us are having to recover in the same ways as some, some young people are really struck with things, and some dealing with real difficult depression. My sympathies to you guys, and it's tough being disbelieved. They call that revictimization for a reason.

I echo what others have said here, that we all believe your stories on here.

• Like 3

This! ^^

Margee, you are so good at putting into words what I feel so frustrated trying to express. It's because it's so personal that I have had difficulty approaching sharing my extimony. I have written it many times in various ways. But doing so means having to recall so much regret, grief, anger, embarrassment and awkwardness at what I put myself through and for having taken so long to deconvert, and yes -- the damned depression. (But at least now I understand the cause of the depression.) Thinking of sharing just some of it makes me wonder why or how anyone would ever want to embellish the truth. Why more hell?

Human

Human, to any damn christian who visits this site.....they have to see (if they are a genuine human being) that it was agony for a whole lot of us on this site. To read and read and read about the fear that this christian doctrine does to a person and how many have admitted that christianity screwed up a lot of their lives....it is devastating. When people think that we just woke up one morning and decided that god and jesus could be a lie, they have NO IDEA of the torture some of us have been through. I wish I could have my whole life back. I tried so hard to do the right things for god and yet my whole god-damned life looks like total chaos. Except for the fact that I remained a hairdresser for 40 years. That was about it for stability. Fuck, it makes me sooooo mad right to this day.zDuivel7.gif

I look forward to your finished testimony Human.

Hug

I just had a wee look at a puritan post about us. In the twilight of my christian walk I had a look at that site.there r some very intelligent and learned folks on it and it was popular in my theological college.in the post I looked at just like I experienced when I last visited their site, they have forgotten to bring love into their academic learning.

Lots of Scripture posts about us like "they went out from us but we're never of us" etc. Lots of folks saying we were never true Christians or we sinned against the holy spirit and how we cannot be re converted. ...well that is true tho for different reasons.but yes all a lack of understanding and compassion:nothing new for christians and what triggered my own deconversion.

I do take issue with them saying we were never real Christians. Over and over you read here,myself included,folk saying how hard they tried in prayer and bible study to grow in holiness and know god.same tired excuses by current Christians that we were fake and missed some aspect of conversion.

• Like 1

I often felt with these types if they just let lose and sinned and had some really dirty kinky sex and thereby be honest with just one part of themselves then they'd maybe be able to look at things differently. I'm just using that example as a tongue in cheek example of them just opening their lives to something else beyond dusty pompous academic stances and be real human beings.

• Like 1

Lol they were never "real" human beings that's why they r still puritans.

The arrogance of that site can be summed up in a phrase they once used to advertise it. Went somthing like "quit paddling in the shallow end of Christianity and come swim in the deep end". These are Uber Christians who having invested yrs in study cannot deconvert else they'd be throwing away their careers and the entire investment of their lives.Fear indeed!

Bet you anything they dny go down on their wives.

• Like 1

If I'd come across this site when I was a Christian, I probably would have thought that there could be some exaggerations and outright fabrications here, but I would not have automatically assumed that all or even most of the comments were made up. For those with intellectual qualms with Christianity, I would have assumed that a lot were sincere but seriously misled and blinded from the TruthTM. For those who were mistreated by Christians, I would have largely felt bad for them and assumed that the abusers were probably not True ChristiansTM or that they at least had some serious issues that they needed to hand over to God. Of course, I probably also would have figured that some of the claims of abuse were blown out of proportion by overly sensitive people or people who didn't want any consequences for choosing "sin" over God, but I never would have blindly assumed that all were that way. Even in my brainwashed worldview of absolute Christian truth, I knew fully well that people are individuals and therefore everyone is different, which in turn means that the subject of the "lost" was a very complicated issue, not a one-size-fits-all mass lying.

• Like 1