Goodbye Jesus

The Anthropomorphism Of Yahweh And Spirituality

Burny

Something I've noticed over the past few years of my deconversion from xtianity is that people don't meditate very much on what they claim to believe. They don't THINK very much on the details either! I really tired of everyone around me spouting off crap that they can't possibly really believe if they thought about it for 5 minutes.

One example that really bothers me, and I don't see it mentioned very often, is the anthropomorphism of Yahweh in the case of western xtianity. Another aspect is the idea of an eternal place of peace where people go (as themselves, complete with memories and personality) after they die. There are massive problems and inconsistencies with both of these ideas, and it has to do with what we know about the physiology of the human mind and body.

The quaint idea of a 'soul' controlling our morality, emotions and memories has been debunked for probably hundreds of years already. The very fact that we can change someone's entire personality through medication and drugs, conclusively proves that even who we are, is nothing more than electro-biochemical processes in our physical brain / body.

The only place left for a so-called 'soul' is some sort of offline, cosmic RFID tag or something similar that would identify us to 'god', after we died. Our memories, our personalities and our very being will die and rot in the ground with our corpse - there is no doubt about that. There is no magical cloud-based non-biological area where our memories get uploaded each night and where our personalities are saved as backup for when our physical bodies die. Again, medicine and science have proved time and again that all of who we are as individual personalities, is physically stored in our minds and we know that this biological machinery decays on death. If this isn't the case, than why do old folks sometimes change their personalities completely, once their minds start to decay? Which personality is uploaded to their soul? Why do anti-depressants work, if we have souls for personalities?

So what the hell is heaven then?! :) I truly don't understand how xtians, or anybody else for that matter, can still believe that they continue living after death! How would you even know, since all your memories are rotting in the ground with your brain?! Without your memories - you aren't you...

When we turn the question to Yahweh (or any spirit-god) it gets even more ridiculous. Here's some so-called 'facts' about Yahweh as I was taught them (strict, Reformed):

• He's emotional (angry, happy, sad, jealous...)
  • He's just (able to make decisions, moral choices...)
  • He's male (able to impregnate a women and donate chromosomes)
  • He has a son
  • He's eternal and outside of time
  • He's a spirit, but can come to visit earth in physical bodily form
  • He's outside of our physical universe
  • He can create and interact with our physical universe in any way imaginable, including going against all laws of it (i.e. make the sun stand still, walk on water...)

I could go on and on but this is enough junk ideas to deal with already.

How can a non-physical, timeless being even HAVE emotions?! How come nobody ever asks this question? Emotions are electro-biochemical reactions in our physical brains (neural network) that can be controlled (easily) by medications / drugs! It is literally impossible for a non-physical being of ANY kind to have emotions. If artificial intelligence ever gets emotional, it will still be physically based and controlled. This means that god cannot be angry, jealous or even loving. It's literally not possible by definition.

How can god make decisions? There are tons of issues with this side of god. First of all, he has to exist within time, since decisions involve a 'before' and 'after' state. Every decision starts with more than one option and ends with a decision on one of them. This means time must pass. In a timeless state, no decisions can ever be made. Secondly, how can a spirit without emotion or a physically connected neural network capable of abstract thought, make a decision? A moral decision? Again, not possible by definition!

Obviously god can't have a sex (male) or have sex (with a virgin). But this raises another very important point about god. God cannot interact with a physical universe - again, by definition. A timeless, bodiless spirit can NOT physically interact with anything or anyone (think of 'ghosts' going through walls etc). First of all, there is no 'before' or 'after' for god since he's timeless - so he can't have sex or donate chromosomes. Secondly, there is a fundamental barrier between a physical universe and a nonphysical one, kind of like the fact that we can't see past the leading edge of our expanding universe. The cute imaginations of god interfering physically with humans doesn't work - he doesn't have 'hands' to tweak things. He doesn't have a 'mind' to make decisions about things. He doesn't have the emotional capability to even give a crap about anything - and he can't do anything in order, since there's no time for him to work within.

I'm sure I'm not correct in some of my thoughts on life and non-life (probably wrong about a LOT of it actually) but surely the things I've mentioned here should be enough for most modern humans to abandon the idiotic ideas we have about 'god'? We're going to have to be a lot more creative than humans were 3,500 years ago in order to come up with something that at least makes sense. 

Sorry for the rant, but this is the 'Rants & Replies' section so I'm not really sorry. :D

• Like 2

Guest Furball

Something I've noticed over the past few years of my deconversion from xtianity is that people don't meditate very much on what they claim to believe. They don't THINK very much on the details either! I really tired of everyone around me spouting off crap that they can't possibly really believe if they thought about it for 5 minutes.

Sorry for the rant, but this is the 'Rants & Replies' section so I'm not really sorry. biggrin.png

Hey burny. great rant. This is why christianity continues to this day. They have convinced themselves and others that thinking and questioning the bible is a guaranteed one way ticket to hell. Simple propaganda technique, as with any cult is, don't question what were telling you or ELSE!    It's a ploy that starts the brainwashing into effect. We and we only have the truth is what they teach people. Religious indoctrination comes in 3 steps: 1. you are wrong in all your beliefs / 2. we are right in all our beliefs / and 3. don't question what we tell you about our beliefs. 

Don't ever be sorry for your rants burny, that's what this section is here for. Your rant was intelligent and well thought out. Keep up the great posts friend. -me

• Like 1

I have beat my head against a brick wall trying to reason with Xtians about the silliness of their faith. I might as well have been arguing against the brick wall. The reasoning of the two is the same. Rip

• Like 1