Goodbye Jesus

A Little Q&a

Castiel233

They have an answer for everything:

Q: Why doesn't God cure illness

A: Well He does, He works through the Doctors and Nurses and guides them in their work.

Q: A child gets burnt in a house fire and the fireman only just gets to him in time

A: God is again working through the fire brigade, plus the suffering of the child will help him grow in spirit

Q: The child dies in the house fire

A: God knew that his suffering and pain would be too much to live with, so He allowed the child to suffer for just a few minutes so that He could take that child to Heaven

Q: A serial killer  tortures a woman for years, why doesn't God intervene

A: Because we have free will God cannot over ride it. Anyway there are  serial killers because we have turned away from God. If everyone worshiped Jesus then all crime would vanish

Q: Why are there rich Christians, what with the camel and the eye of a needle warning

A: I think God is speaking more about the love of money than actually having money, I think that is what the Lord is saying

Q: When I have prayed to God, I have never felt His presence

A: You must pray harder, more devoutly and with a more humble heart

Q: Why are there counter points against Christianity, such as other thriving religions as Islam

A: Because God wants to test our faith, He allows Satan to trick humans in false hood

Q: I thought that God wanted ALL to be saved and to come to Him

A: He does, very much so, but because Heaven is such an awesome prize, God has to make it a bit of a challenge so that only the truly worthy get in

Q: When something bad happens, why do some Christians pray rather than roll up their selves to help.

A: We trust God in all things

Q: The Bible says to give to anyone that asks. I have asked a Christian for money and was rebuffed, why?

A: Clearly you might spend that money on sinful things, like cider and Katy Perry Cd's. The Christian was merely protecting you from yourself

Q: I suffered with a mental illness, the more I prayed for it to go away, the worse it got, then I had to go into hospitol

A: Satan knew you were reaching for God so he tightened his evil grip. when you went into hospital, that was God helping you to get better.

Q: If God really loves us why are nearly all of us going to Hell

A: Because God is wise and just and Holy and mysterious

Etc, unto forever.................

• Like 5

As a christian just last year, I would have answered most of these with "because we were cast out of the perfect garden and into the evil world where bad things happen". That was my explanation for suffering, and yet I never once doubted things such as evolution. I took the book of genesis as more of a symbolic story than a literal one, and yet that means that there was no garden to be cast out of and jesus died over... what a symbol? Why the crazy story anyway and not just what happened? I look back at what my mind must have been doing to make this stuff make sense and it's terrifying. 

• Like 1

Guest Furball

I look back at what my mind must have been doing to make this stuff make sense and it's terrifying. 

Limited you are so right, i look back on all the nutty stuff i believed and i shutter that i actually believed what i did. To be honest, i would be afraid to go back into that religion. It's scary how my mind bought into the christian propaganda so easily. -glad to be free

Guest Furball

Castiel, you are correct, they have an answer for everything. This crazy religion has built in excuses for everything. It amazes me that no matter how many christians i ask questions to about their beliefs, i get almost verbatim the same exact "stock" answers in return. if you keep questioning them they get frustrated and walk away, or they just get mad and say i'm going to hell, then they do anything to end the conversation out of fear that their beliefs will be exposed as falsehoods.

Limited, I hear you. Interestingly, the churches we attended claimed that if you didn't believe in Genesis it all came apart. But I'd acknowledged evolutionary theory for the past 15 years, including reading such contraband as Francis Collins and pointing to the passages in C. S. Lewis's "Mere Christianity" where he alludes that evolution might well be an explanation for our existence.

I think a lot of us feel like we wasted a lot of energy trying to reconcile the irreconcilable. Ironically perhaps, I now believe the fundamentalist Christians more than ever about what they claim, even though I don't believe their claim: Without a supposed fall, there can be no supposed salvation. And in order for that supposed fall to happen, there couldn't have been the evolutionarily derived species as we now see them. I simply don't follow them to their conclusion. They're wrong and we're right.

It troubles some of us because we were trying to be the "reasonable" kind, reconciling both. I even went for the Francis Collins explanation of "Science describes the How, and faith describes the Who and the Why." You know who ratted me out on that? Not atheists, not cynics, not antitheists, not snarky people. Christians. Christians totally ratted me out as inauthentic. I couldn't even reliably pass their beliefs checklists, and that was really what spelled the end, even though it took some years of figuring to get me there. I say this with no shame and no bitterness towards the Christians: they helped me deconvert by remaining so stolid in their thinking, and only allowing the few,the gullible and the bravado to remain.

You just tried to be reasonable, maybe you had some relationships you wanted to hold intact. Hell that's human, we all do this. You really ought to give yourself credit: look, now you're deconverted and no longer trying to make sense out of the nonsense. Really, you should give yourself some credit for thinking it through.

Katy Perry CD's...  *snicker*

• Like 1

As a christian just last year, I would have answered most of these with "because we were cast out of the perfect garden and into the evil world where bad things happen". That was my explanation for suffering, and yet I never once doubted things such as evolution. I took the book of genesis as more of a symbolic story than a literal one, and yet that means that there was no garden to be cast out of and jesus died over... what a symbol? Why the crazy story anyway and not just what happened? I look back at what my mind must have been doing to make this stuff make sense and it's terrifying. 

that garden was not even perfect

there was no wifi in that garden :P

Spot on, Castiel.  Christians can rationalize anything to fit their Bible.  Because their Bible has to be true no matter what.

And if they ever see something they can't rationalize they become ex-Christians like us.

Q: The Bible says to give to anyone that asks. I have asked a Christian for money and was rebuffed, why?

A: Clearly you might spend that money on sinful things, like cider and Katy Perry Cd's. The Christian was merely protecting you from yourself

lmao_99.gif

Spot on, Castiel.  Christians can rationalize anything to fit their Bible.  Because their Bible has to be true no matter what.

And if they ever see something they can't rationalize they become ex-Christians like us.

Oh no! At that point, most of them say "God works in mysterious ways," and look at you damningly if you don't just accept it. I think it's the ones who want answers who become exChristians. 

A: Because we have free will God cannot over ride it. Anyway there are  serial killers because we have turned away from God. If everyone worshiped Jesus then all crime would vanish

Um, no. According to statistics, most criminals are religious and a large number are Christian. 

This answers makes me question whether perhaps the answerer is into shady stuff because who wants to co-exist with violent crime? Oh I forgot--people whose eternal welfare depends on convincing earth's human population how degraded it is. But still...

Xtians can rationalize valid arguments alright. But there is no evidence to support their rationalizations. Try following the life of a severely burned  person to see if this terrible injury  helped improve

her life, spiritually or otherwise. It's all bullshit. So ask the Xtian who comes up with these bogus arguments to name specific people that became better as a result of severe burns.  Of course there are people who use Xtianity to escape from the mental torture they suffer from as a result of burns and  other tragic injuries, but that is mental "compensation" (to use a psychological term) to help them cope.  And if it helps them cope I'd say to the injured, "good for Xtianity". But you and I know they would give anything to be back  where they were before. Rip

Um, no. According to statistics, most criminals are religious and a large number are Christian. 

This answers makes me question whether perhaps the answerer is into shady stuff because who wants to co-exist with violent crime? Oh I forgot--people whose eternal welfare depends on convincing earth's human population how degraded it is. But still...

If you're a Calvinist, the answer is that the torture's occurrence is the sovereign God's gracious will and pleasure.  The woman is already damned in Adam.  And if she's one of the elect, she'll go to heaven, so what's the problem?

You oughtta deal with your own self-worship and repent, while you're at it, R.S.

So "not."

Makes me want to throw up.

• Like 1

Seems like John Calvin took that passage in Romans about Esau being damned and Jacob chosen just because God said so, and ran with it. I used to have serious problems with that passage and wanted it explained but never got an explanation that held water for me. Someone said the Bible doesn't say Esau went to hell but I thought it was strongly implied. My people acted like that passage didn't exist even though it was in the NT and they had to read around it for their own favourite passages.

To add:

Something bad happens, its down to sin or Gods ways are not our ways

Something good: Praise be to Jesus 

I once was at a sermon that was about the trinity of god, son, and the holy spirit. It ended with the priest saying, "So, are you feeling like you understand it now? Well let me tell you, in that case you have gotten it completely wrong! It's BEYOND our understanding, praise god!" fun_84.gif

• Like 1