Goodbye Jesus

Thanking God

chrisassaf

I was wondering, if an atheist knows of a Christian that thanks God for recovering from a sickness instead of the doctor, that atheist will be pissed.

But, the thing is, the Christian thanks both God AND the doctor.

Also, what would your counter-argument be to someone who told you that God was working through the doctor or that God sent the doctor there, etc?

Goodbye Jesus

Doctors spend about a decade in med school before they can work in a hospital taking first-hand responsibility of patients. What they need to do their jobs is the knowledge in their heads and in the books on their shelves. It's them holding the scalpels, cutting open wounds, sewing them shut, prescribing meds that are poison in wrong doses. It's their hands, their brains, their nerves that are tested every day at their work. 

If a doctor randomly happens to be at a disaster site without anyone calling 911 to get a doctor there, it's a very lucky accident, but still merely an accident. Many disasters happen with no doctors to be seen anywhere without someone calling them there, and there are kind, loving, important people (and lots of Christian people) dying and getting permanently injured in them. Why would God be so random with where to send a doctor to give urgent help? 

Also, doctors fail a lot, unfortunate as it is. I think we all know at least one person who has had wrong medication prescribed or has been in a surgery that's gone wrong, and if not, there are many statistics about that to be found. Again if it's God working through doctors, why do such things happen at all? Why do some people deserve a successful surgery and some don't?

Maybe it's just that the doctors are human too and humans are prone to failing every now and then even though they do their best, and that's all there is to it. It's not about who deserves it.

The explanation that has no God involved just seems so much more fair to everyone. 

• Like 7

I was wondering, if an atheist knows of a Christian that thanks God for recovering from a sickness instead of the doctor, that atheist will be pissed.

Also, what would your counter-argument be to someone who told you that God was working through the doctor or that God sent the doctor there, etc?

First of all you can't have a counter-argument when there was no original argument.  The idea that "God was working through the doctor" is merely a claim.  Without evidence to support this claim it is completely without foundation.  Where is the argument?  No argument was made so no counter argument.  Laughter is optional, of course.

From what I have seen Christians thank God first and perhaps get around to thanking the people who did the real work as an afterthought, if ever.  Just look at what Christians will do at a restaurant.  They make a big show about how grateful they are to their invisible friend who did nothing while they have almost nothing to say to the server or the cook.

As for being pissed . . . Christians as a trend are ungrateful and rude.  You kind of have to get use to it.  The Christian God must be real because Christians don't set off suicide vests or drive car bombs . . . right?

By the way shouldn't this thread be in the Lion's Den?  An ex-Christian topic doesn't strike me as off-topic for an ex-Christian forum.

• Like 4

But, Mymistake, the Christians say that God gave the cook his skills.

yelrotflmao.gif

Yeah.  Make an argument and then I will counter that argument.  If Christians are simply going to make an empty claim all I need to do is laugh.

Meanwhile any of the (not brainwashed) cooks that hear Christians say this will be pissed because of all the years they spent going to school and busting their ass to perfect their skills.  Like I said it is a trend for Christians to be rude.  Of course there will be exceptions but the dogma shapes the behavior of the group.

• Like 3

Really Chris, if some stranger walked up to you and said: "Leprechauns are real!  They create rainbows.  That is how they create gold.  Every time you see a rainbow a leprechaun is making gold with rainbow magic." 

Would you feel the need to make a counter argument?

• Like 7

So... for the patient that dies... does god forget about him? Don't start with god has its own plan.

• Like 2

So... for the patient that dies... does god forget about him? Don't start with god has its own plan.

Don't discount God's plan.

http://mlkshk.com/p/XU0Z

If I kill Baxter this just might work.

• Like 1

And yet those Christians don't generally claim that their god gave a serial killer his skills.

This misattribution of credit for someone's hard work is one of the things that I consider utterly unforgivable.  I find it particularly enraging when doctors and other medical personnel are relegated to the status of pawns, manipulated by the very same micromanaging deity that supposedly allowed the disease or injury to happen in the first place.

Woe betide anyone who gives their god credit for My musical aptitude, as I would not find it inappropriate to resort to fisticuffs in such an instance.

• Like 7

Could one reason why skills are talked about as "god-given" be this: People want to tell themselves that they could do the same if God just gave them the skill one day, so they wouldn't have to spend years learning and perfecting it? 

Non-religious people are sometimes guilty of the same. "Oh he's a natural talent. I'm not." That's just bullsh*t, nobody is a natural talent that doesn't have to practise hours, days, years.  Yes some people have a big interested in something as a kid already and begin practising very young, and that's why they're better than most at it as adults, but that's a result of hard work, not something that was given as a gift.

As I said in another thread there are some hobbies I've had since before I was even going to school as a kid, and I do feel I've learned every little step by myself, sometimes with lots and lots of frustration. Yes I'm pretty good these days, but I did NOT wake up one day to find I had the skill, or feel that a higher power was guiding me to make it easier. I was only very interested.

It could be argued that the wondrous medical knowledge, skills and technology in the world today are based on a foundation of the physical sciences, which developed in spite of the influence of xianity and it's imaginary sky daddy.  Xianity is still holding back scientific progress.

• Like 3

can i say god gives priests penises so they can rape boys?

• Like 2

Astreja, for someone crediting God with your music skills, they will say that God was working through you. I mean, like using you as a puppet.

Oh, and if I ever got into a situation where I needed to be rescued and the person saving me was a militant atheist, I would say "Thank Jesus" in front of that atheist. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

And if he protests, I will say Jesus sent him there and he was used as a puppet to save me (or my fellow Greenlanders)

My question to you is if God really is all powerful as the bible states then why does he need to use the doctor?  Why doesn't he just heal people like he supposedly did in the bible?  

It's the same question I have about evangelizing.  Why do christians need to evangilize?  Isn't god powerful enough to just speak to people and bring them to him?

• Like 3

Astreja, for someone crediting God with your music skills, they will say that God was working through you. I mean, like using you as a puppet.

How ridiculous. Everyone knows that it is the Flying Spaghetti Monster who gives musicians and medical professionals their skills gifts. How dare anyone suggest that it is the God of the Bible when it is clearly the FSM? Those who say otherwise are only fooling themselves because they know the FSM is real, but are just in denial.

I would THINK the christian is wrong about the god part, but I'd keep it to myself. I see no reason to argue about it. It's not my job to try to correct every idea that I think is wrong, and it would be a waste of my time anyway.

P.S. I think my fellow ex-christians gave some really great answers. If pressed, I'd respond similarly. But, otherwise, I wouldn't say anything because I know it would be like this:

Wendybanghead.gif

• Like 1

Oh, and if I ever got into a situation where I needed to be rescued and the person saving me was a militant atheist, I would say "Thank Jesus" in front of that atheist. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

And if he protests, I will say Jesus sent him there and he was used as a puppet to save me (or my fellow Greenlanders)

Militant atheist?  You mean somebody who hijacks airplanes and flies them into skyscrapers in the name of nogod?  Or would a militant atheist round up all the Muslims in Serbia and exterminate them in the name of

nogod?  Did militant atheists run the Spanish Inquisition in the name of nogod?

Oh wait, you mean militant atheists as in people who don't go to church and don't feel ashamed about it.  That kind of "militant".  Well if the EMT who saves your ass doesn't feel shame in not attending church then chances are he will be too well trained to protest when a patient starts babbling about religious delusion.  Because EMTs don't do that.  Because they are trained to not do that when they are busting their ass at school learning all the skills it takes to be an EMT.  

(edited because of the damn autocorrect)

• Like 5

It would be a lot more entertaining if you said that to a militant Muslim.

• Like 5

Why would they assume that?  Why wouldn't they assume a more valid conclusion such as Astreja is a goddess?  After all we can actually see and hear Astreja if we are in the same room.  There is far more evidence that she is a goddess then there is for the idea that an invisible friend does things through her.

Do you get how ridiculous magical thinking is?  Are you starting to see it?  An invisible magic man did it!  Because . . . the invisible magic man did it!  And it isn't just any generic invisible magic man.  They know his name.  They know he hates shrimp and figs and forskin and pork.  He is the invisible magic man that I talk to every day.  Because naturally the creator of the universe would take time out of his day to talk to somebody as interesting and important as me.  And everything you worked hard to achieve actually came from my invisible friend because I am special.  Because magic.

• Like 5

It was once thought that the human body had 4 fluids, and that if you were sick it meant that your fluids were out of balance. So a cut would be made along your vein to let your blood drain out in order to get your fluids back in balance. This was called bloodletting, it was practiced for about 3,000 years and wasn't banned until as recently as the 19th century. Thanks for working through our doctors, god. 

• Like 6

If we're puppets even if we're not Christians, where did our free will go? 

If we're puppets, why is there so much failure to help other people?

If we're puppets, why does it require OUR effort to get anything done, be it creative or hard work? Why do we need to practise at all? 

• Like 4

Hi chrisassaf,

In response to your question, I would have to say that, based on tons of both anecdotal and emperical evidence, I doubt very much that your God has proven to be overly concerned about human health and wellbeing.

Could I let Robert G. Ingersoll speak for me here? He said, "Instead of spending forty days and forty nights with Moses, telling him how to build a large tent, and how to cut the garments of priests, why did God not give him a little useful information in respect to the laws of health."

If I may add to Ingersoll's point--hey god, how about a little bit about curing childhood lukemia and less about how many turtledoves are needed for sacrifice after childbirth? And why, if Your Inscrutableness is so big on human welfare, did you intentionally create the man born blind just so you could show how glorious you are (John 9:2-3)? Wouldn't it have been more to your glory to have simply not created blind people at all? And so on.

But what do I know. According to the bible, God's ways are mysterious. He creates both good and evil, sickness and health. Maybe he cured me in order to more fully torture me later!

• Like 3

"Militant atheist". LMAO.  I know whenever someone uses this term they have no idea what atheist means.  Yeah writing books and giving talks is "militant".  Idiot.

• Like 5

I'm fine with believing that God works through physicians. But I do not believe that this God is Jesus. In fact I believe that people who thank Jesus for any good in their lives are in fact vilifying God by thanking a demonic hell hound who threatens men with eternal conscious torment.

Please state your counterargument.

• Like 1