Goodbye Jesus

Point Of Inquiry Podcast - Letting Go Of The Soul, With Julien Musolino

webmdave

• Admin
Intuitively, it can feel as though the essence of our thoughts and feelings exists separate from the body and brain, and that essence is what is normally referred to as the soul. Empirical evidence, however, forces us to reconcile our intuitions with reality. As the science of the brain and consciousness advances, the case for the existence of a soul deteriorates.

This week on Point of Inquiry, Josh Zepps talks to Julien Musolino, psychology professor and author of The Soul Fallacy: What Science shows We Gain From Letting Go of Our Soul Beliefs. Musolino discusses why there isn’t room for belief in the soul in modern science, and how moving past that belief might make the world a better place.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/pointofinquiry/Julien_Mussulino_final.mp3

• Super Moderator

I doubt the belief in "souls" will ever disappear. The hope for immortality of some kind, the desire for things to be "righted" after death, the need for there to be "something more" seems a basic part of humankind; just look at those who have logically dismissed Christianity yet hang on to this final bit of magic.

I'm still on the fence about ghosts, which I would think requires a soul, but I don't believe a ghost would go to Heaven or Hell upon finishing whatever their reason for staying here is. I don't know if I really believe in ghosts, though, and so I'm not sure about the soul, either.

I'm still curious about space, time, space/time, dimensions, what drives/motivates, what brings about consciousness, ego, broader consciousness--as far as an ego, complete with memories and human reasoning outside of a human body, however, not so much.

Guest Furball

I'm still on the fence about ghosts, which I would think requires a soul, but I don't believe a ghost would go to Heaven or Hell upon finishing whatever their reason for staying here is. I don't know if I really believe in ghosts, though, and so I'm not sure about the soul, either.

the person who believes in ghosts would tell you that if ghosts exist, it proves that people don't immediately go to heaven or hell upon death. The christian would say that those aren't ghosts but demons trying to deceive you.