Goodbye Jesus

Excuses Christians Use To Explain Former Believers

Brother Jeff

Hey everybody,

I could use some help with a list of excuses Christians commonly use to explain those of us who have fallen away and rejected the Christian faith. I know the "you were never really a Christian" excuse, but what are some others? 

Thanks for the help jogging my memory. Glory!

My mom believes I was a real Christian.  But now Satan has fooled me and lulled me into a false sense of security because Satan isn't attacking me anymore.  And one day I'm going to need God so I shouldn't be afraid to call out to God on that day.  God will welcome me back with open arms at any time.

• Like 4

you are just back sliden,,,,,,

• Like 2

Guest CutiePie

What mymistake said, my mother believes that people are working evil magic on me, that satan is attacking me so I would get off god's path and ruin his plan for me and not get me to reach my purpose in life or call. For one, my calling or purpose, or whatever, for starters...that "calling" is my passion, and my purpose is whatever I make it to be. :) 

You just want to sin.

You have hardened your heart. 

You're rebelling against God. 

You just don't want to submit to God's authority anymore.

You want to live however you want no matter what is right and wrong. 

(All of these kind of boil down to the same thing, in my opinion--a proud and rebellious spirit that will accept advice from no one.)

• Like 3

We hate God.

We are angry with God.

We just want to sin without any feeling of guilt.

What R. S. Martin said. A toast to us "proud and rebellious spirits"!

• Like 1

"You'll come back 'round."

"See, I told you--that's what you get from thinking too much."

• Like 1

Your ego wants to play god because you can't be under authority. 

I've heard both proud spirit and holding the sins of the religious against God.

Anyone got a good response to the latter?

I've heard both proud spirit and holding the sins of the religious against God.

Anyone got a good response to the latter?

Ask them why they hold the bad behavior of children against Santa Claus.

• Like 3

The person who has rejected Christianity is seen either as backslidden or as never having been a "true believer".  I've never come across another category suggested - save to say that both are subcategories of being "carnal", "fleshly", "proud" and "sinful".

• Like 1

The person who has rejected Christianity is seen either as backslidden or as never having been a "true believer".  I've never come across another category suggested - save to say that both are subcategories of being "carnal", "fleshly", "proud" and "sinful".

Quite true. They're forbidden to even consider the possibility that Christianity may just happen to not be true.

We think too much, don't listen to God's voice, and want to copy other atheists or agnostics. I heard all of those on the GCN smh...

• Like 2

I've only ever heard Christians acknowledge that someone legitimately walked away from the church when the person who left is coming back into the fold, and even then i's made to sound like they either weren't really Christians, or weren't really leaving.

Some I've heard, either referring to myself or others:

-You have let Satan in by doing (insert sin)

-That's what you get when hanging out with the wrong people

-It reads in the holy book  too that many will make their hearts cold during the End times, so this also confirms the book is true!

Hey everybody,

I could use some help with a list of excuses Christians commonly use to explain those of us who have fallen away and rejected the Christian faith. I know the "you were never really a Christian" excuse, but what are some others? 

Heres a nasty one christians use to manipulate people who turn from christianity.

Jesus loves you.

Hey everybody,

Heres a nasty one christians use to manipulate people who turn from christianity.

Jesus loves you.

Jesus loves me?  But he never bothers to call me on the phone.  

• Like 2

Hey everybody,

Jesus loves you.

Jesus loves me?  But he never bothers to call me on the phone.  

Hi mymistake, hows things.

that we believed what we read on the internet about the bible/god/jesus/christianity being fake,man made, etc. (insert excuse here____)

Incidentally, it was the Bible that opened my eyes, not the internet. In fact, when I did look at religious themed stuff on the internet, it was from Christians.

I often heard, "It's ok to question things, everybody has questions," but then nobody ever answered the questions with a logical, sensible answer!

And apparently you were only supposed to ask the questions to the pastor, who could give you the long-winded apologetics til you were worn down.  I don't think you were supposed to get answers by reading and researching on your own, outside of church-approved sources and books! 

• Like 1

I often heard, "It's ok to question things, everybody has questions," but then nobody ever answered the questions with a logical, sensible answer!

And apparently you were only supposed to ask the questions to the pastor, who could give you the long-winded apologetics til you were worn down. I don't think you were supposed to get answers by reading and researching on your own, outside of church-approved sources and books!

This is why I refused to talk to my pastor when others kept trying to make me go to him, upon my deconversion.