Goodbye Jesus

What Advice Would You Give A Newbie Christian?

Justus

So you base your opinion that I am a Christian on what, the icon on the left?

Personally I go by what they fill in for their "have any Gods" answer.  The Holy Ghost originated with Christian traditions.  I've noticed you won't answer question about your faith so all we can do is guess.

If you would like to enlighten us regarding what type of religion or faith you have feel free at this time.

The Holy Ghost originated with Christian traditions.

That's is your opinion. The Phasma did not originate from Paul or the disciples. Neither did the Phasma impregnate the female married to Joseph.

If you would like to enlighten us regarding what type of religion or faith you have feel free at this time.

Nope.

Justus,

Please provide an explanation of what you mean by the word, 'Phasma' and also citations of where that word is used by others in exactly the same way as you use it.

Thanks,

BAA.

That's is your opinion. The Phasma did not originate from Paul or the disciples. Neither did the Phasma impregnate the female married to Joseph.

hmmm... Who said anything about a phasma?

375px-Both_wings_open.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink-winged_phasma

Wowsers. This is the first time ever that I hear a Christian say that

So you base your opinion that I am a Christian on what, the icon on the left?

That, and that below the icon you say your God is the Holy Ghost. Please do correct me, since it seems that I got you wrong. 

The advice I'd give to a new Xtian? Listen, yes - listen to your senses and your own heart. Don't force yourself to be like the others. Don't take relationship advice from people who don't know you. Read your Bible and see for yourself what it is, be honest to yourself about how it makes you feel.

Yet everything written in it is a lie thought?

I didn't say exactly that. I mean that one should not lie to him/herself about what they're seeing, hearing and reading. If reading the Bible makes one feel bad, why is it? Is it because of lack of faith, because of sinning too much, or because it is a book full of stories to make us feel bad and scare us into submission?

If not mistaken, I  did.  So you think the Aboriginal Australians came up with the name for the phasmid pictured? I would consider that it was probably coined that name after the 1600's.

That is just as relevant as the Jesus lizard that walks on water which according to the Archimedes' principle should sink in the water.  

lizard.jpg

That is just as relevant as the Jesus lizard that walks on water which according to the Archimedes' principle should sink in the water.  

Wait, relevant to what?  Relevant to guessing the religion of a guy who refuses to tell us his religion?  Justus we really don't care.  If you don't want to be called a Christian you have the option to inform us as to what the proper title would be.  If you want to play coy we will just write you off as a Christian. 

That, and that below the icon you say your God is the Holy Ghost. Please do correct me, since it seems that I got you wrong.

No problem since I do appreciate your response. But no, I do not subscribe to the theological doctrine of the Christian faith, from the Trinity for one to the Big Bang. Just because one doesn't subscribe to the Trinity they are accursed and evil according Christians, and just because one might not subscribe to the belief in the Big Bang theory, which not all do since the Big Bang theory was given that nickname in the 1950's by physicists who refuted the theory.

I didn't say exactly that. I mean that one should not lie to him/herself about what they're seeing, hearing and reading. If reading the Bible makes one feel bad, why is it? Is it because of lack of faith, because of sinning too much, or because it is a book full of stories to make us feel bad and scare us into submission?

That is why I asked, since most here hold that it is a lie from Genesis 1:1 to Revelations 21:22.

Wait, relevant to what?  Relevant to guessing the religion of a guy who refuses to tell us his religion?  Justus we really don't care.  If you don't want to be called a Christian you have the option to inform us as to what the proper title would be.  If you want to play coy we will just write you off as a Christian.

Since you would not accept my word that I wasn't a Christian then why should I believe anything you say. If you don't care then why do persist in questioning, are you in charge of some inquisition. {Rhetorical-please feel free not to respond]

Since you would not accept my word that I wasn't a Christian . . . 

Of course I accept your word that you are not a Christian.  We call you Christian because you refuse to tell us what you are.  If you don't like it then you know how to fix it.

If you don't care then why do persist in questioning . . . 

Because I am helpful.

No problem since I do appreciate your response. But no, I do not subscribe to the theological doctrine of the Christian faith, from the Trinity for one to the Big Bang. Just because one doesn't subscribe to the Trinity they are accursed and evil according Christians, and just because one might not subscribe to the belief in the Big Bang theory, which not all do since the Big Bang theory was given that nickname in the 1950's by physicists who refuted rejected the theory.

You've ****ed up again, Justus!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hoyle

Fred Hoyle rejected, but did not refute the Big Bang theory.

In fact, as this latest update shows, scientists are closing in on which model of Inflationary theory (which incorporates Big Bang theory) is the correct one.

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/66611-cosmic-inflation-evidence-no-go-stardust/page-4#entry1028754

Please get your facts right!

However, I see you take into account all the possibilities before making your decision.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/refute

1. To prove to be false or erroneous; overthrow by argument or proof: refute testimony.

2. To deny the accuracy or truth of: refuted the results of the poll.

Usage Note: Traditionally, the verb refute has two meanings. The first is "to prove to be false or erroneous," as in Charges of institutional bias against women were refuted by an analysis of the employment data. In this example, it is clear that an argument was mustered to demonstrate the falsity of the charges. This usage is well established as standard. The second meaning is "to deny the accuracy of," and in this use there is no mention or implication of mustering evidence or detailed reasoning. Rather, the refutation exists as a simple statement or claim. This second use has been criticized as incorrect or inappropriate since the early 1900s, despite being common. A majority of the Usage Panel accepts the use as a synonym of deny, but not by a wide margin. In our 2002 survey, 62 percent accepted the example In the press conference, the senator categorically refuted the charges of malfeasance but declined to go into details. This suggests that many readers are uncomfortable with this usage and would prefer to see deny in these contexts. Beyond these two meanings, refute is sometimes used to mean "to deny the validity of, repudiate," as in Observers are expecting the appeals court to refute the Microsoft breakup. The Panel has scant affection for this usage. Some 89 percent rejected the example just quoted in the 2002 survey.

Since you would not accept my word that I wasn't a Christian then why should I believe anything you say. If you don't care then why do persist in questioning, are you in charge of some inquisition. {Rhetorical-please feel free not to respond]

It says the following right below your avatar:

"Authentic Christian Believer".

If that is not correct, you should ask a moderator to change it.

However, I see you take into account all the possibilities before making your decision.

1. To prove to be false or erroneous; overthrow by argument or proof: refute testimony.

Usage Note: Traditionally, the verb refute has two meanings. The first is "to prove to be false or erroneous," as in Charges of institutional bias against women were refuted by an analysis of the employment data. In this example, it is clear that an argument was mustered to demonstrate the falsity of the charges. This usage is well established as standard. The second meaning is "to deny the accuracy of," and in this use there is no mention or implication of mustering evidence or detailed reasoning. Rather, the refutation exists as a simple statement or claim. This second use has been criticized as incorrect or inappropriate since the early 1900s, despite being common. A majority of the Usage Panel accepts the use as a synonym of deny, but not by a wide margin. In our 2002 survey, 62 percent accepted the example In the press conference, the senator categorically refuted the charges of malfeasance but declined to go into details. This suggests that many readers are uncomfortable with this usage and would prefer to see deny in these contexts. Beyond these two meanings, refute is sometimes used to mean "to deny the validity of, repudiate," as in Observers are expecting the appeals court to refute the Microsoft breakup. The Panel has scant affection for this usage. Some 89 percent rejected the example just quoted in the 2002 survey.

So the Big Bang theory has been refuted only in the sense that it might very well be true but those who don't like it are going to take their ball and march home?  Thank you for clarifying, Notchristian.

I don't think the Bible is a lie, it's a 1000 year collection of; oral tradition, myth, legends, fables, morality plays, social engineering, a little history and geography (very little - but it's there), poetry, political and social propaganda and ancient Hebrew tradition… as well as quite a bit of astrotheology, syncretistic religious evolution and creative editing.

I don't think any intelligent person would say it was a premeditated fabrication (well, not all of it anyway). It's an important piece of literary and cultural reference, at least in the West. 

Is it the infallible WORD OF GOD?  No.

Science does not proceed by consensus of opinion, Justus.

Your cited example is therefore irrelevant and cannot be applied to Big Bang cosmology or any other branch of science.

My advice is that the Bible with the thinnest pages can make a life-time supply of rolling papers. Otherwise there is not much use for one. Reading pissy verses that only promotes one's doctrine is hardly Bible study. I would recommend a new Christian start out reading a good astronomy book and perhaps some anthropology books first, paying attention to the length of time it takes for the formation of planets, stars, and galaxies. If space isn't interesting to them, then they should find a good geology book explaining continental drift and earth quakes.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Justus:

Define "Holy Ghost."

In our culture it is generally connected to Christianity. Do you use the term in another sense, such as the Bahai or Islamic version? Did you make up your own definition? We really don't know where you stand or what you're talking about. If this matter isn't cleared up your threads are simply a waste of everyone's time.

If not mistaken, I  did.  So you think the Aboriginal Australians came up with the name for the phasmid pictured? I would consider that it was probably coined that name after the 1600's.

Are you referring to the Latin then?  Is the holy ghost an apparition?  Wouldn't that imply that somebody had seen it?

Justus:

Define "Holy Ghost."

In our culture it is generally connected to Christianity. Do you use the term in another sense, such as the Bahai or Islamic version? Did you make up your own definition? We really don't know where you stand or what you're talking about. If this matter isn't cleared up your threads are simply a waste of everyone's time.

Florduh,

Justus uses the definitions and meanings of words, as given to him by the Phasma/Holy Ghost.

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/65394-the-only-begotten-bastard/page-5#.VO9LS_msUul

I challenged him about his private interpretation of scripture in post # 70, but look what he writes in # 95... 

Try reading the next verse [2 Peter 1:21] The Holy Ghost has the final, or rather private interpretation.  

See how it works, Florduh?

Justus listens only to the Phasma's private interpretation of things.  This applies across the board , not just to religion but also to science and to whatever the Phasma tells him.  Justus knows the truth from the Phasma and we don't.  Whenever we disagree with Justus, we're automatically in error because we're not disagreeing with the Justus - we're disagreeing with the Phasma.  That's why every time I've corrected him with science facts, with data and with evidence - it makes no difference.  I'm always going to be wrong because I'm not receiving the truth from the Phasma - as he is!

That help?

Justus:

Define "Holy Ghost."

Florduh,

Justus uses the definitions and meanings of words, as given to him by the Phasma/Holy Ghost.

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/65394-the-only-begotten-bastard/page-5#.VO9LS_msUul

I challenged him about his private interpretation of scripture in post # 70, but look what he writes in # 95... 

Try reading the next verse [2 Peter 1:21] The Holy Ghost has the final, or rather private interpretation.  

Justus listens only to the Phasma's private interpretation of things.  This applies across the board , not just to religion but also to science and to whatever the Phasma tells him.  Justus knows the truth from the Phasma and we don't.  Whenever we disagree with Justus, we're automatically in error because we're not disagreeing with the Justus - we're disagreeing with the Phasma.  That's why every time I've corrected him with science facts, with data and with evidence - it makes no difference.  I'm always going to be wrong because I'm not receiving the truth from the Phasma - as he is!

That help?

The Phasma told me that Justus is full of crap.

Justus:

Define "Holy Ghost."

Florduh,

That help?

The Phasma told me that Justus is full of crap.

NO, MM!

That's your private interpretation, not the Phasma's.

Guest Furball

That's why every time I've corrected him with science facts, with data and with evidence - it makes no difference.  I'm always going to be wrong because I'm not receiving the truth from the Phasma - as he is!

BAA - Your a really smart guy, one of the smartest guys on this site. I am curious, as to your quote above, after using all the science facts, with data and with evidence, and admitting that it makes no difference, why do you keep debating him? Why not just ignore him and let him get bored so as to eventually give up and leave this site for good? I have no problem with you, or even with you continuing to debate him or any of the other christians on here. I am simply curious as to why you know it will never make a difference, yet continue with it knowing that it will never be a fruitful endeavor? Please don't kill me for asking, i am just curious is all.

• Super Moderator

Cat, BAA can answer for himself, but I will say that we often continue hopeless discussions with the True Believers of this or that whacked belief because other, often unseen, readers can benefit from it. I know this to be a fact.