Goodbye Jesus

Whos Perfect?

nukedkitty

Christians say "Theres not one perfectly good person"

I say "Theres not one perfectly evil person"

Exactly.  Everyone has the capacity for behaviour that harms others and behaviour that doesn't harm others. 

I think there are a tiny minority of people, usually diagnosed as sociopaths or similar, who could be seen as "perfectly evil", or at least highly likely to make choices that harm others.

Exactly.  Everyone has the capacity for behaviour that harms others and behaviour that doesn't harm others. 

I think there are a tiny minority of people, usually diagnosed as sociopaths or similar, who could be seen as "perfectly evil", or at least highly likely to make choices that harm others.

Do you think that perfect human (good or evil) is possible.

No.

except joker tongue.png

he is perfectly evil

No.

I think so to, but why do you think its not possible NZ.

except joker tongue.png

he is perfectly evil

:P

I think it's not possible that anyone is perfectly good or evil because we have evolved over millions of years to survive and reproduce and I think our behaviour comes from those drives.  If you imagine a group of people living more than say 10,000 years ago, in order to survive and reproduce they would have had to choose "good" or "evil" behaviour at different times, depending on the situation.  For example, supporting and nurturing their kin group would have increased the chances of survival and reproduction.  It would also have been necessary to kill people from other groups if they were attacking the kin group.  This could be considered evil.  Although it could also be considered good, because it served self-preservation.  I don't find terms like good and evil to be useful.  Behaviour is on a spectrum: at one end it can harm others, at the other end it doesn't harm others.

• Like 1

The only perfectly good or perfectly evil people are imaginary.  That is because perfect is an ideal and ideals can't exist in the real world. 

• Like 2

I can't believe that somebody could be perfectly ANYTHING over even a short life span.  Even a generally bad person has to slip up once in a while and do something nice, and vice versa.

I also never understood the Sermon the Mount, specifically the beatitudes, for this reason.  You know, the poor in spirit and the meek and the gentle and the pure in heart, etc.  I mean, who is MEEK their entire life?  Even a meek person might stand up and fight for their child.  Who is in mourning their entire life?  Who is gentle their entire life?  Did jesus just mean a generally meek (or whatever) person?  But over a lifetime, we could describe ourselves as many things and other people would see us in different ways at different stages of our lives.  I just never understood that, but maybe I've missed something when I read it.  Or maybe it's xian gobblydeegook.

• Like 1

Guest Furball

I can't believe that somebody could be perfectly ANYTHING over even a short life span.  Even a generally bad person has to slip up once in a while and do something nice, and vice versa.

I also never understood the Sermon the Mount, specifically the beatitudes, for this reason.  You know, the poor in spirit and the meek and the gentle and the pure in heart, etc.  I mean, who is MEEK their entire life?  Even a meek person might stand up and fight for their child.  Who is in mourning their entire life?  Who is gentle their entire life?  Did jesus just mean a generally meek (or whatever) person?  But over a lifetime, we could describe ourselves as many things and other people would see us in different ways at different stages of our lives.  I just never understood that, but maybe I've missed something when I read it.  Or maybe it's xian gobblydeegook.

I wondered the same thing. No one can live up to any of the christian standards. Christian evangelist ray comfort tried to get around this by saying that the beatitudes were written as a standard of perfection so as to show us, like in a mirror, our imperfections. In other words, god wants us to look at the sermon on the mount as a list of perfections no one can attain, there by humans seeing that they fall short and need a savior. His explanation didn't make sense to me even when i was christian , but i am with you, i never understood it either. -cc

• Like 1

who's to say everyone has the same version of good and evil anyways? so it's impossible for one person to have perfection in the opinion of everyone. 

Every time I see this thread topic, I remember all the sermons I've heard where it's said at least once that jeeeeeeesus was perrrrrrrfect. jesus.gif

I never understood how Satan could go from an angel who had jealousy to being perfectly evil? The Angels are meant to be perfectly good but one flaw and you switch to perfect evil? If there really was a heavenly battle it really sounds like the winners wrote the history books.

The way I interpret "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth," Matthew 5:5 is one of the few verses in the bible that actually says something that makes sense and is worth thinking about.

I see "meek" in this verse as being ascribed to a whole group of people (hence the plural "they") rater than to an individual. If a whole group of people are meek, they will not be aggressive, and they certainly won't instigate wars.

Also consider the word "inherit." The only way anyone can inherit anything is if the owner has died and the thing in question is then passed on to a new owner.

So, I interpret the verse as saying that after the aggressive, war-favoring people who currently "own" the earth (i.e., those currently in charge) eventually kill themselves off (which could apply to losing their regimes or power, not only to dying), the non-aggressors will be left to run things. (Of course, unlike the bible writers, I realize that if this scenario played itself out, it wouldn't be long before those meek people turned into aggressors, with the cycle repeating in an endless loop.)

I came up with this interpretation on my own as a teenager trying to find something in the bible to hold onto. I could be totally wrong. So, I can't declare that my interpretation is what "Matthew" had in mind.

But it should have been. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I don't know if I am perfect but I have never sinned. 

“People aren't either wicked or noble. They're like chef's salads, with good things and bad things chopped and mixed together in a vinaigrette of confusion and conflict.” 
― Lemony SnicketThe Grim Grotto