Goodbye Jesus

A Question For Christians #1

nukedkitty

For 13 years I held on to my faith that Jesus could/would/should transform me into the spiritual man that the bible subscribed. But this never happened, no matter what I did and did not do, no matter how much faith I had it didn't make me into the likeness of the loving Christ. So I gave up and walked away, then after many years of wrestling with my problems alone an amazing thing happened.

I started to become the loving Christ I couldn't become when I believed in God.

Now I have no choice, I have to reject Christ to become like Christ.

You see the dilemma here?

• Like 4

Note:Text editing is solved.

Can a mod please change the word "and" to "to" in my second last sentence 

Thankyou.

Very soon you will gain the power to edit your own posts.  Love the point you make in your original post.  Back when I was a Christian I thought humanists were the Antichrist.  Now that I have left Christianity I realize humanists are highly ethical and moral people.  Perhaps I am overcompensating but today I see humanists the way I use to view saints.  I put humanists on such a high platform that I think I am not good enough to be a humanist.  So go for it nukedkitty.  Be a better Christ that you could ever be as a Christian.  Back when I had faith my Christianity prevented me from forgiving others.  Yes, even with all the emphasis on the importance of forgiving others I simply could not figure out how because Christianity directed me in the wrong direction.  I only learned how to forgive once I walked away.

@Christians

Any Christians care to dump your lame apologetics and pathetic rationalizations on this?

• Like 2

Can a mod please change the word "and" to "to" in my second last sentence 

Thankyou.

Very soon you will gain the power to edit your own posts.  Love the point you make in your original post.  Back when I was a Christian I thought humanists were the Antichrist.  Now that I have left Christianity I realize humanists are highly ethical and moral people.  Perhaps I am overcompensating but today I see humanists the way I use to view saints.  I put humanists on such a high platform that I think I am not good enough to be a humanist.  So go for it nukedkitty.  Be a better Christ that you could ever be as a Christian.  Back when I had faith my Christianity prevented me from forgiving others.  Yes, even with all the emphasis on the importance of forgiving others I simply could not figure out how because Christianity directed me in the wrong direction.  I only learned how to forgive once I walked away.

@Christians

Any Christians care to dump your lame apologetics and pathetic rationalizations on this?

Thankyou mymistake, what's a humanist.

Thankyou mymistake, what's a humanist.

The short answer is somebody who is good just for goodness' sake.

Humanism is a philosophy.

https://humanism.org.uk

Think for themselves about what is right and wrong, based on reason and respect for others.

Find meaning, beauty, and joy in the one life we have, without the need for an afterlife.

Look to science instead of religion as the best way to discover and understand the world.

Believe people can use empathy and compassion to make the world a better place for everyone.

Even before I left I realized Christianity is a works based religion. You and you alone must learn to live perfectly. You alone must develop the will power to overcome sin. I eventually realized being in Christ was nothing more than words. If you somehow managed to get into Christ you did it all on your own, but getting there is only half the battle. You have to be disciplined enough to stay there too. Fat chance of that happening.

I guess that's why there are Monks that live on mountain tops so they can avoid sin....at least as much as possible. I wonder if those guys ever jerk off or have sexy thoughts and dreams? Either way there has to be some pretty horny Monks on those mountain tops. No wonder the goats avoid them. rolleyes.gif

I understood some of the Christian ideas only when I walked away and started to study other beliefs and finally realized what the Bible was trying to say. 

About overcompensating... just a point I wanted to add.  I still think about many things through the glasses of Chrstianity.  (I don't mean to, but I catch myself later, when I analyze my thoughts).  So I think it's the idea of a sinner vs a saint from Christianity that is still stuck with you. 

Because apart from Christianity, we are all just people, all trying our best, some of us are better and some are worse.  But it's not really our fault.  We were born and shaped by life that way.  We did not choose to be destined to be "a bad apple".  Some of us regret being "not as good as others" but we can't help it and all we are stuck with is regret and it's not fun.  So it's unfair to judge those even on top of them already having to live with this regret.

Judgement comes from Christianity, although ironically the Bible teaches not to judge anyone.  And even Paul himself said: why do you boast about yourself as though it was your doing?  (In other words, even he understood that we don't make ourselves who we are). We can either be happy about the gift of goodness which life gave us (made us a good person). Or feel regret about our being a bad person (a bad gift from life). Or some people can delight in their dark side because they were programmed by life to feel that way.  And they, I am sure, don't like it that goodness prevails and they probably really don't think it's fair that they are persecuted by goodness.

But life is not about being fair.  Life just works, partly randomly.  And we just have to live with it.

Very strong question.

One of the greatest moments of realization I have ever experienced was when it abruptly became apparent to me that my life would in no way be different if I left Christianity behind. Those of us who have moved on have precisely the same moral dilemmas, issues and problems to solve as everyone else. The only difference is that we can consider these issues somewhat more objectively. We also don't think that we are necessarily better than anyone else. Whether we are decent people or not depends on our actions, not our beliefs.

• Like 2

The dilemma I see is that you were trying to "do things" or "works" to be more like Christ.

That approach always fails.

The Christian faith is not about works, but grace.

• Like 1

The dilemma I see is that you were trying to "do things" or "works" to be more like Christ.

Many Bible authors disagreed with you.  But what would they know?  They only wrote the Word of God!  

However grace-based religion is nonsense.  It can't be implemented because any effort is "works".

Furthermore thoughts don't do anything.  They don't accomplish anything.  Thoughts don't change our

environment.  So it is nonsense to have one person saved by good thoughts and another condemned to

eternal torture for not having the right thoughts.  Your religion is stupid and petty.

• Like 1

Nukedkitty, isn't it ironic how moral one can become after leaving Christianity behind? In so many ways I am a better person since leaving religion.

• Like 1

(Fuck it, I clicked on upvote instead of quote.  Oh  well, I guess that's how IH gets most of his upvotes anyway.)

This little gem sounds like something straight out of a Baptist Pastor's mouth, or from his library of apologetic books.  Oh that's right, IH's father was a Baptist Pastor.  Hey, I get it, why think for yourself or consider other theological viewpoints or even belief systems when it's all ready to be spoon fed to you with minimal effort?

I can tell this thinking has been plucked from a perceived authoritative source because it uses words like "always" and "THE xian faith IS x y z".  No, your version of a xian faith is not about works, but grace.  Learn to write properly by saying things like "My understanding of my faith is..."  Have some respect for the hundreds of theological scholars who have debated works and grace for centuries.

Sigh... yet again, an ex-c has a better grasp of theological issues than the xian.  Perhaps that's because I work on having an open mind and looking for a range of points of view instead of parroting what my authority figures taught me.

Ironhorse,

I note that you missed a thread where an invitation has been extended to you.

Here is the link... http://www.ex-christ...y/#.VPlZi_msUuk

Please join us to further your understanding of cosmology.

Thanks.

BAA.

How do you decide this?  Christians can't agree about what the Christian faith is because it is unclear from Scripture.  That's why there are thousands of little Christianities out there.  Luckily they have managed to tone down some of the voilence, but that has taken hundreds of years.  Too bad for the people who were already killed over silly inconsequential issues like whether or not a piece of bread is actually Christ's body or just a metaphor.  I guess they were just born in the wrong century?
  • Like 1

• Super Moderator

Faith without works is dead, according to James 2:14-17.  Did you forget this little detail, Ironhorse?

Is it not also written that "If you love me, you will keep my commandments"?

• Like 1

Guest Furball

Nukedkitty, isn't it ironic how moral one can become after leaving Christianity behind? In so many ways I am a better person since leaving religion.

Isn't that the truth? Since i have left christ-insanity i have found that i am more at peace with both myself and people. All the things the religion of christ-insanity promised i didn't find until i left it. -me(ow)