Goodbye Jesus

What's The Age Of Accountability?

amateur

What is it?  The actual age, I mean.  

Growing up and attending church, I never heard that phrase.  It was either "accept Jesus as your lord and savior" and go to heaven, or don't accept him and go to hell.  

Is there an actual age?  Like any other xian concept, is there any agreement to what the actual age is?  Is it a distinct number, like you have until your seventh birthday?  Or do they take into consideration maturity, relative intelligence, circumstances of upbringing (being a severely abused child could easily put someone behind), mental illness?

Is this an actual biblical concept, or just something people made up to excuse babies, toddlers, and severely mentally challenged people from hell?

Just wondering.  Thanks for any answers!

It isn't in the Bible but Christians would point to the Jewish tradition.  It's that mitzvah thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_and_Bat_Mitzvah

Were Adam and Eve below the Age of Accountability (spiritually speaking) before they sinned?

If so, why did God hold them fully responsible for their sin?

And why did God also punish them with curses that he'd made no mention of when he first warned (only) Adam about the tree?

Thanks for the answers!  

Were Adam and Eve below the Age of Accountability (spiritually speaking) before they sinned?

And why did God also punish them with curses that he'd made no mention of when he first warned (only) Adam about the tree?

After reading what I read in the sites posted above, I would say that Adam and Eve were below the age of accountability because they sincerely would not have understood the concept of doing wrong or sin or death.  I can't answer the other questions!  I bet xians could twist stuff around until they had long-winded answers!

The Bible doesn't say if the Fall of Man happened 13 years after creation or sooner.  The flow of the story implies that it happened very soon simply because there were no other events worth mentioning prior to the fall.  However without eating the magic fruit the humans would never understand good or evil so they couldn't be accountable.

Obviously the Genesis story was an older myth that a newer religion was stuck with.