Goodbye Jesus

Does Being A Devout Christian Make You A Better Person

Guest Ask21771

Guest Ask21771

the Christians claim that being Christian give you a new pure heart did this actually happen to anyone here

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I suspect the heart remains the same, merely the thinking changes and often for the worse as you are forced to circle squares. A book that tells you to hate your family and hate yourself and abandon your children has a funny definition of "pure hearted"

Being under the whip of the christian god who makes all the decisions of who will go to heaven and who will go to hell, makes you more compliant to try and behave in a better fashion. The bible itself says that ''all'' are sinners and really do not want to follow gods' ways. If you look at these 100 scriptures, one can see for themselves that if you are afraid of the christian god, you will stay more 'in line' and fight all your sinful nature, constantly praying for the good lord to cover you with his  'grace', so you won't land up in hell. 

Most humans will want to become a better person because it's just a better way to live and co-operate with the world. Many won't because they really don't care. You will find this inside and outside of the church.

Sins of the flesh........

http://www.openbible.info/topics/sins_of_the_flesh

Nope.

• Like 2

No

• Like 1

Define "pure new heart", but I know my answer is no. 

To add:

It perhaps makes you a better person in Gods eyes, but I submit that if you obey the NT and leave your wife and children behind, proclaiming your hatred of them (as the Bible commands), they would say it makes you a worse person

I agree with Margie. The real motivation is fear, but I think most believers do take their traditions seriously & try to live their lives accordingly. Obviously, they are doomed to failure simply because they are human.

Unfortunately, their beliefs also tend to make them mean & judgemental SOB's & all too often really weird too.

I agree with Margie. The real motivation is fear, but I think most believers do take their traditions seriously & try to live their lives accordingly. Obviously, they are doomed to failure simply because they are human.

Unfortunately, their beliefs also tend to make them mean & judgemental SOB's & all too often really weird too.

I did some mean things even when I had good intentions back when I was a Christian.  It is that world view where up is down, oil is water and my invisible friend is offended by other people's behavior.

(edited for clarity)

No.

One of the biggest realizations of my life was when I recognized that I would be in no way different if I left Christianity behind. Our moral dilemmas are precisely what they were when we were Christians. The only difference is that now we can think about them clearly.

• Like 1

Nope and apparently hasn't worked for my wife. In fact last Sunday she said she hadn't been good enough to go to church.

I can't imagine thinking that there's some invisible dude watching me, judging me on a daily basis as to whether I'm good enough to go into a building.

That's some kind of christian mind fuck right there.

Being a devout Christian only made me feel arrogant. I felt better than all the other lost people. So, my answer is no.

Being Christian teaches you to be servile, which isn't necessarily being a better person

I had a very sudden, profound conversion at a time when I was very immature and self-absorbed (college).  I hooked up with a group of Christians whom I will acknowledge, had some good character traits to share with me.  So, my conversion did mark the beginning of a period where I grew and learned a lot about life - in some ways, becoming a better (more mature, really) person.

The irony is, that 15-20 years after my conversion, I think I ended up sort of stunted in my growth as a person.  Now that I have been "un-born again", I feel like I am getting a much needed, fresh boost in the maturity department.

As far as I can tell, I am still the same person as I ever was, regarding basically caring about, and trying to be "good" towards, my fellow humans.  That was a part of me even before I grew up.  When I was Christian, I gave Christ all the credit for it.  Now, I think it's just who I am, and my parents deserve a lot of credit, too.

No. In fact, I'd argue that it worsens who you are.

I know for sure I've become a better person since I left Christ.

No.  My a-parents are extremely devout Christians and I would have been better off if I never met them or their religion.  They are arrogant, abusive, exploitative, and cruel, and even though they don't drink, they behave like raging alcoholics set off by the most insignificant things.  They are all too much like the Master they serve, who treats everyone like his slaves that exist only to serve his interests, so it looks as though Christianity did live up to it's promise and give them the heart and soul of their Master, but it so happens their Master is a psychopath.   

there is a few exceptions to the rule

I met some very nice devout christians who does not care about evangelization and holding on to doctrines

They are not condescending towards non christians but also be friend with them without any hope of making them christians

they sincerely just want to help and being nice to other

I guess it depends on the person's personalities and what type of church they are going to

quite the opposite.

Guest Furball

No, people are only changed in the way they think, not their actions, which is why there are so many hypocrites in and out of church who "call" themselves christian. Christians say one thing but always do another. Yes, they do some "good" works here and there, but that is not what the bible proclaims will happen to someone who has been truly regenerated. The whole story of christ-insanity is a farce.

No.  I have the same morality and general feelings towards life and people that I always had.  I've matured, as would be expected, but I can't imagine I'd be any different with or without the xianity.

In my experience, there is a lot of pressure on new converts to learn and use the lingo. So Christian-ese becomes like a secret handshake amongst the insiders whereby we recognized and validated one another through the use of the lingo and bible verses. But it should be said that, as we know, the heart itself does no thinking or moralizing or weighing of truth. These are functions of the mind. So to suggest that all of our thinking immediately changes upon becoming a Christian, or even through the devout practice of sanctification, is quite an unsubstantiated claim. I mean, I became a Christian when I was 12. I hadn't even done any really good lusting yet. I actually didn't have much to repent of except for very minor infractions.

What actually happens, IMO, is that our "heart" (thinking) is given over to the group-thought of the church, denomination, or bible. In my case, the group-thought of these three things eventually came to more and more insult and offend my conscious (my true heart) and I found that I could no longer believe in my heart what my head rejected as nonsense or immorality.

there's no transformation. only shame and guilt and accountability groups to encourage you to behave a certain way and police your thoughts.