Goodbye Jesus

Most De-Cons Have Been Traumatized

Penguin

I am not providing a diagnosis. If you feel--based on the information provided--that you might have PTSD, see a licensed therapist. I am not licensed, nor can I provide a diagnosis. I can draw comparisons, but only as a layman.

As someone with PTSD, I get the speech from time to time. "It makes sense you're not a Christian. A lot of people who fall away have been traumatized, but they blame it on the Church/on God/on Christians." Let's take a moment and consider the diagnostic criteria for PTSD from the DSM-V:

Criterion A: stressor

The person was exposed to: death, threatened death, actual or threatened serious injury, or actual or threatened sexual violence, as follows: (one required)

1. Direct exposure.
  2. Witnessing, in person.
  3. Indirectly, by learning that a close relative or close friend was exposed to trauma. If the event involved actual or threatened death, it must have been violent or accidental.
  4. Repeated or extreme indirect exposure to aversive details of the event(s), usually in the course of professional duties (e.g., first responders, collecting body parts; professionals repeatedly exposed to details of child abuse). This does not include indirect non-professional exposure through electronic media, television, movies, or pictures.

So a person has to somehow be exposed to the threat of death or the threat of serious injury. Check!

Criterion B: intrusion symptoms

The traumatic event is persistently re-experienced in the following way(s): (one required)

1. Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive memories. Note: Children older than six may express this symptom in repetitive play.
  2. Traumatic nightmares. Note: Children may have frightening dreams without content related to the trauma(s).
  3. Dissociative reactions (e.g., flashbacks) which may occur on a continuum from brief episodes to complete loss of consciousness. Note: Children may reenact the event in play.
  4. Intense or prolonged distress after exposure to traumatic reminders.
  5. Marked physiologic reactivity after exposure to trauma-related stimuli.

"Intense or prolonged distress after exposure to traumatic reminders." Check! I also know people who fit B.1. and B.2. I even met a few who claimed B.3.

Criterion C: avoidance

Persistent effortful avoidance of distressing trauma-related stimuli after the event: (one required)

1. Trauma-related thoughts or feelings.
  2. Trauma-related external reminders (e.g., people, places, conversations, activities, objects, or situations).

"Persistent effortful avoidance of distressing trauma-related stimuli after the event...trauma-related thoughts or feelings." So, you're told you're going to burn in Hell if you don't become a Christian, so you become a Christian. You are then told you'll face severe punishment and consequences for your sins if you don't stay on the straight and narrow, so you stay on the straight and narrow. You are told you will have overwhelming guilt (demonstrated by so many in the Bible and reinforced by the mob mentality), and so you do what you can to avoid that feeling. I think we can say -- CHECK!

Criterion D: negative alterations in cognitions and mood

Negative alterations in cognitions and mood that began or worsened after the traumatic event: (two required)

1. Inability to recall key features of the traumatic event (usually dissociative amnesia; not due to head injury, alcohol, or drugs).
  2. Persistent (and often distorted) negative beliefs and expectations about oneself or the world (e.g., "I am bad," "The world is completely dangerous").
  3. Persistent distorted blame of self or others for causing the traumatic event or for resulting consequences.
  4. Persistent negative trauma-related emotions (e.g., fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame).
  5. Markedly diminished interest in (pre-traumatic) significant activities.
  6. Feeling alienated from others (e.g., detachment or estrangement).
  7. Constricted affect: persistent inability to experience positive emotions.

"Negative alterations in cognitions and mood that began or worsened after the traumatic event...persistent (and often distorted) negative beliefs and expectations about oneself or the world (e.g., 'I am bad,' 'The world is completely dangerous')...Persistent negative trauma-related emotions (e.g., fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame)." Yeah, check!

Criterion E: alterations in arousal and reactivity

Trauma-related alterations in arousal and reactivity that began or worsened after the traumatic event: (two required)

1. Irritable or aggressive behavior
  2. Self-destructive or reckless behavior
  3. Hypervigilance
  4. Exaggerated startle response
  5. Problems in concentration
  6. Sleep disturbance

Okay, so reactions on this are probably mixed across the population of former Christians, but I think all of us can identify with at least two of these six. I identify with all six, but as directly related to the Church, I had E.3. (constantly worrying about whether or not I was sinning or doing something wrong) and E.6. (I spent many nights trembling in bed because the demons were going to come get me), so check!

Criterion F: duration

Persistence of symptoms (in Criteria B, C, D, and E) for more than one month.

Well, 24 years is longer than one month, so check!

Criterion G: functional significance

Significant symptom-related distress or functional impairment (e.g., social, occupational).

"Significant symptom-related distress." Well, when I started smoking, I thought, "I can't commit suicide without going to Hell, but this will kill me faster." Does that count? (Check!)

Criterion H: exclusion

Disturbance is not due to medication, substance use, or other illness.

Check!

So, yes, I was traumatized because of the religion I was suckered into with cute pictures and stories of miracles and happiness and promises of Heaven. I can say the Church is partially responsible for my PTSD because my therapist stated as much in his diagnosis. Even if that had not been stated, I can say--in my layman's observation--that my religious experience fits the diagnostic criteria for PTSD. I wouldn't call that a diagnosis or go around saying, "I have PTSD because of the Church" without a therapist's diagnosis, but if these criteria ring true, I'd certainly visit a therapist.

So the next time a Christian pulls the "a lot of former Christians were traumatized and just wanted to blame the Church" bullshit, tell them you know of someone who was actually diagnosed with PTSD, and it's partially the fault of the Church. If they don't believe you, send them my way.

• Like 7

Excellent post and I can relate,

I suspect a lot of Christians and former Christians have mental health problems combined with low self esteem.

Take a religion that tells you that you a worthless, that tells you that even being born automatically insults your Creator. That pounds into you the idea that even thinking certain thoughts greatly increases the already certain risk that you are bound for hell anyway and how could you not develop a mental health problem.

Its a nasty faith, portraying a nasty god, that tries to preach that you are the nasty one......

In short, its nasty

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree that some ex-christians were traumatized. But, I believe that term is far too dramatic to describe the vast majority of us.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree that some ex-christians were traumatized. But, I believe that term is far too dramatic to describe the vast majority of us.

Agreed. I must admit to a bit of link-baiting with my thread title; it's an opinion I've heard often, but it's not my personal viewpoint. I just figured it would attract attention.

The de-conversion process did not traumatize me, but my study and research into religious history sure as hell pissed me off. The more I read and studied the madder I got, and also more than a little embarrassed by how stupid and gullible I had been for forty freaking years! Wendybanghead.gifWendyDoh.gif

• Like 1

I think i felt traumatized while i was inside the religion (born and raised in it), when i was really going all out for a god who wouldn't acknowledge my existence i.e. my most fundie days, just before i left for good.

nowadays (about three years later) i just feel emotionally dead/exhausted/tired/lethargic. seeing a therapist weekly who is good.

maybe scientists should do a study around the mental damage caused by religion because i'm pretty sure there is a relationship between the two.

The de-conversion process did not traumatize me, but my study and research into religious history sure as hell pissed me off. The more I read and studied the madder I got, and also more than a little embarrassed by how stupid and gullible I had been for forty freaking years! Wendybanghead.gifWendyDoh.gif

Yes, it's tough when you realise that there's no one to blame but yourself.  In some ways it's harder than if you can blame your family, or your pastor, or whomever.

Try and find a way of getting through the angry phase as quickly as you can.   It's natural to be angry, and embarrassed, but they can both be toxic if allowed to persist.

There is life afterwards, make the most of it.  Best of luck.

I think i felt traumatized while i was inside the religion (born and raised in it), when i was really going all out for a god who wouldn't acknowledge my existence i.e. my most fundie days, just before i left for good.

nowadays (about three years later) i just feel emotionally dead/exhausted/tired/lethargic. seeing a therapist weekly who is good.

maybe scientists should do a study around the mental damage caused by religion because i'm pretty sure there is a relationship between the two.

These are my feelings, too lately. And more anger at myself for not getting away from my family esp mother sooner. Just so bitter lately. I'm looking into picking up therapy again. I really do just feel drained from everything. 

Hey Geezer, I am only slightly less stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid than you as it took a good 30 years for me to figure out what seems to be so obviously so verifiable now.  But, I am sooooooooooooo much happier now.  :).

Yes, most of the youthful years life was immersed in their crap; but I figure I have another 35 or so to make up for lost time. 

I think it depends on your level of devotion to your now lost faith. If you gave it your all, no way in mythical hell you're going to come out of it without some issues. For me, it was sadness followed by anger followed by a feeling of being betrayed by those you entrusted your life with even though they (some of them) had no idea WTF they were doing and then the great many of those that stand at the pulpit and know the shit they spew is a lie. Fuck those people the most.

• Like 1

The night I sat here and wrote my ''Please Forgive Me'' letter, I was totally in shock that I was writing this farewell to god letter. I am am cursed with an extremely sensitive personality, so any hurt or lies I've been told completely devastate me. It takes me a long time to recover. Thus this paragraph of that letter.....

Quote: '' It’s not that I want to reject you – I just don’t trust you anymore. Trust is reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, of a person or thing; confidence. It is the confident expectation of hope that someone really cares for your well-being. It gives you confidence in the certainty of the future. It is a loving person on whom one relies. It is the condition of one, to whom something has been entrusted with, like custody or care. It is a commitment of love, and that love would not hurt you.....

Please forgive me for not trusting you anymore.

There's no greater pain for me than when trust is broken.

I think if we weren't directly traumatised by the religion, we may have been traumatised by the fact that our parents used the religion as justification for physically and/or emotionally abusing us.

• Like 1

I have known atheists who grew up in good homes. They were not maltreated, but their assessment of religion led them to their atheism. Unfortunately, I have known far more who had negative experiences because of the Church. Most of those who had a "good transition" to atheism came from backgrounds that did not adhere to Fundamentalism, and the circumstances of their life were not difficult.