Goodbye Jesus

In My Ignorance

Castiel233

When I was younger I thought it strange that good people were afraid of a good god. It was not until I ventured to examine the faith a little closer that I discovered He appeared to be a bad god, full of wraith and vengeance against His own creatures.

Nothing we could do could ever appease Him  it seemed, and his rules came across as petty and beneath the dignity of an all powerful creature.

Back then I was sure that good people go to Heaven and bad people go to Hell.....it seems (at least) to me that all are bad in Gods eyes.........

When I learnt that The Bible says that to break one command is to break all of them (631 commands by some estimates), I knew, just knew this was a rigged game with it all but guaranteed to end in failure.  It was like God telling you to run 20 miles after having no sleep for 24 hours and then get into a boxing ring with your hands tied behind your back, fight and beat a trained pro and at no time hit the canvass or take a punch....you seemed set up to fail right from the off..........

Also I could never understand how a being with absolute knowledge and absolute power, could be jealous......this indicated wants on His part, and these wants, coupled with His desire to be worshipped and feared by defenceless creatures made no sense in light of His power.

The whole lot just looks crazy, when sold as a message of love. 

• Like 2

I wonder if someone came up to you on the street or at your house one day and tried to sell you Christianity (assuming you had lived your life as an atheist who had never heard of religion before). this time, when he tells you about Christianity, he gives you a complete picture of the bible and the faith. every bit of information presented to you, no social pressures,coercion,giving incomplete information,emotion inducing music, or other forms of manipulation or persuasion. pretty much the bible as it is, what going to church is like etc. how would you react?

i would punch him in the face, save myself years of trouble,confusion and wasted opportunities.

if you read the bible without the christian goggles, it sounds absolutely nonsensical and idiotic. even when i was a christian, i hated how people just brushed aside my concerns for how erratic, insane,evil or perhaps just weak his behavior, teachings and rules were and just insisted he is good and loves us very much. if you compared the god as indicated by the bible writings and general state of reality on earth to the god everyone insists he is there is no similarity between them.

if/when i do something bad i have the decency to be honest about the fact that maybe i am a bad person. doing bad stuff while claiming your good and therefore all the bad stuff you do is good by extension is damaging bullshit to society and makes whatever you did a lot worse.

In my opinion, Christianity would make much more sense without the whole "but he loves you" bit. If God were posited to be a terrible being of terrible power that we must all obey and fear lest He torture us, that would at least make some sense. It still wouldn't be very nice, but oddly enough, it would perhaps be not quite as sinister as the alternative. It certainly wouldn't be as incredibly silly.

• Like 2

In my opinion, Christianity would make much more sense without the whole "but he loves you" bit. If God were posited to be a terrible being of terrible power that we must all obey and fear lest He torture us, that would at least make some sense. It still wouldn't be very nice, but oddly enough, it would perhaps be not quite as sinister as the alternative. It certainly wouldn't be as incredibly silly.

Exactly.