Goodbye Jesus

Christian Projection By Godless In Dixie

mymistake

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Yes, Neil is spot on. I like this:

"Christians have become so accustomed to privilege that the tiniest reduction of it feels like persecution."

I really like this blog. He is usually spot on in whatever topic he talks about. This article is no exception. He is apparently a member of this site. I've never seen him post, but I do know he is a member.

The ironic thing is that Christians say they believe in things like prayer, miracles, and life after death and yet they know good and well they have to seek out real medical treatment for their illnesses and they resist death perhaps even more passionately than people who believe this one life is all we get.  They pay beautiful lip service to the notion of trusting God for everything and yet they worry and work just as hard as everyone else at making the things happen which they say they are trusting God to accomplish.  If I were to ignore what Christians say they believe and only look at what they do, I would conclude that they don’t really believe in prayer, or healing, or heaven, or even hell.  If they really believed in those things as much as they seem to think they do, it would produce behaviors that frankly would make it impossible to maintain a normal life of any kind.

Wow. This really hit the nail on the head. If only Christians realized this. It'll never happen, but oh that they would.

Yes, he's an excellent writer and many other members of this site are as well. But he always seems to come up with great topics to blog about. Insightful dude for sure.

Thanks for the post -- great read.  This is the material that gives me some serious hunches that certain people are full of CR*P.

The Patheos link mymistake posted is a blog on the Atheist Channel. Which is fine with me. No problem.

Just wanted to say....they have channels for other belief systems.

Reading is fun :)

Patheos does not support, endorse, or promote any one religion.

The Patheos link mymistake posted is a blog on the Atheist Channel. Which is fine with me. No problem.

Reading is fun smile.png

Who gives a flying fuck whether someone's website meets with your approval or not, or what Patheos supports?

Reading is not only fun, it can be informative. You should try it sometime.  Start with (public) high school science textbooks.

• Like 5

Reading is fun smile.png

How about commenting on the article?  Do you feel that Christians put themselves in the center of their worldview?  Do you think you could admit you might be wrong about God?  Do you crave certainty?  Do you think your faith is infallible?  And so on.  

• Like 1

Or maybe Ironhorse would like to start learning about cosmology, in a few hours time?

That way he wouldn't have to stay in ignorance of how the universe works and could understand it.

Rather than doing what the Bible tells him and just accepting by faith that Genesis is literally true.

How about it, Ironhorse?

If your beliefs are true then you've nothing to fear from the facts, right?

We'll see you in that thread... or take note of your conspicuous absence?

The choice is yours.

My money's on conspicuous absence.  But it's worthwhile to ask the question anyway.

But FTNZ..!

Didn't Ironhorse say that reading is fun?

Are you implying that for him reading is fun - so long as what he chooses to read doesn't challenge his faith..?

wink.png

• Like 1

But FTNZ..!

Didn't Ironhorse say that reading is fun?

Are you implying that for him reading is fun - so long as what he chooses to read doesn't challenge his faith..?

wink.png

Yes, and yes.

;)

mymistake, my answers to your questions:

Do you feel that Christians put themselves in the center of their worldview?

Don't we all put ourselves at the center of our worldview?

Do you think you could admit you might be wrong about God?

No, the universe and life speak to me that there is a God.

Do you think your faith is infallible?

I have had doubts at times. My faith has been a train wreck at times but I never

get far from the tracks.

No.  Most people realize that we are an ordinary species, that lives on an ordinary planet, that orbits a small star, in one of trillions of galaxies.

We are not best friends with the creator of the universe.  Our universe was not created for humans.

• Like 2

We don't.  Theists tend to though.

Can you translate this christianese into English for us?  How exactly do the universe and life speak to you that there is a god?  Why would they be saying biblegod?

I have had doubts at times. My faith has been a train wreck at times but I never

get far from the tracks.

So no, you don't think your faith is infallible.  You've got it all worked out.  You are right.  What a comforting, yet uncurious way to live.

Can you translate this christianese into English for us?  How exactly do the universe and life speak to you that there is a god?  Why would they be saying biblegod?

These things speak to Ironhorse exactly the way John Hinkley Junior figured out that killing Ronald Reagan would win the heart of Jodi Foster.

If many people had shared that belief then it would be a religion.

• Like 2

These things speak to Ironhorse exactly the way John Hinkley Junior figured out that killing Ronald Reagan would win the heart of Jodi Foster.

If many people had shared that belief then it would be a religion.

Ironhorse has made this statement many times on this forum.  It is simply his version of an argument from incredulity, which makes it a fallacious argument.  His religious faith is based on a logical fallacy.

• Like 1

Cosmologists don't do that, Ironhorse.  Wouldn't you like to learn why?

Does cosmology also arrive at the conclusion, Ironhorse?  You could learn the answer. 

get far from the tracks.

Wouldn't you like to compare what your faith you with what cosmology tells us, Ironhorse?

Waits for Ironhorse to fail to respond...

(crickets)

bornagainathiest,

I commend you on your knowledge of cosmology. No doubt you have intensely

studied the subject.

It appears that, for you, cosmology has answered the question of the origin of the universe.

It hasn't for me. I believe God created the universe and life. Can I prove it? No.

Science does have several theories. I disagree with you if you suggest science has a final proven fact.

Check out: The Stephen Hawking Centre for Theoretical Cosmology

bornagainathiest,

I commend you on your knowledge of cosmology. No doubt you have intensely

studied the subject.

It appears that, for you, cosmology has answered the question of the origin of the universe.

It hasn't for me. I believe God created the universe and life. Can I prove it? No.

Science does have several theories. I disagree with you if you suggest science has a final proven fact.

Check out: The Stephen Hawking Centre for Theoretical Cosmology

You display your ignorance, Ironhorse.

(Which is why I strongly recommend that you participate in the cosmology tutorials ongoing here... http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/67151-cosmology-the-science-of-understanding-the-universe/#entry1033183 ...so that you will no longer be ignorant and will stop making such basic errors as the ones I will now outline.)

The science of cosmology never proves anything.

Like all the other branches of science (except math) it provides the best possible explanation of the observed phenomenon and nothing more.  Proofs only exist in mathematics.  All the other sciences work to provide explanations, not proofs.

So you are in error to state that you cannot prove that God created the universe.

Nobody can do that.  However, cosmology can and does provide us with a very good working explanation of the universe's origin.  That explanation is not a proof, never claims to be one and never can be one.  Proofs are not within the remit of cosmological science.

Secondly, I have never suggested that cosmology has provided the final proven facts about the origin of the universe.

So, once again, you err by misunderstanding and/or misquoting me.  Cosmology simply cannot do what you ask of it - because, in your ignorance, you are asking the wrong questions.  You do not understand what it can and does do, either.  But you could rectify that situation by accepting our free offer to learn.

Is this the site you were referring to... http://www.ctc.cam.ac.uk/ ...?

Where this page makes reference to the theory of Eternal Inflation...  http://www.ctc.cam.ac.uk/research/fundamental_theory_and_cosmology.php ...?

So do you understand what an Eternally-Inflating universe (Multiverse) means for Biblical Christianity, Ironhorse?

No?

Would you like to know?

Would you like to be less ignorant of these things than you are now?

You see Ironhorse, when it comes to cosmology, understanding is everything.  

Faith alone is of no help to you.  Faith counts for nothing.  Faith will not help you properly understand the universe and how it works.  Faith will keep you in ignorance.  Faith will not allow to see truth from error.  To distinguish what is real from what is not.

So how can you claim that your faith is strengthened by what you see in the universe - if you haven't grasped even the most basic aspects of cosmology, the science of understanding the universe? 

The simple answer is that you can't.

But you can put that right by learning.

So please take this opportunity to raise yourself out of your state of ignorance and learn about cosmology.  Bhim, the RogueScholar and myself will be happy to help you.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 2

Now you are just being an ignorant fook tard.

I believe the universe was created last Tuesday.  Can I prove it?  No!  But I believe it anyway so I reject all facts that don't support my belief.

• Like 4

I believe God created the universe and life. Can I prove it? No.

BAA already handled the second paragraph. Others have addressed the first.

We continue to wait, quivering with anticipation, for more autobiographical assertions from IH. Reports of his mental states are maximally interesting! Oughtta be a 24/7 website.

Mildly sorry to be snarky, Ironhorse, but not very. Why anyone should care about this or that belief of yours continues to baffle. I don't go on Christian Forums and say that I believe X or Y. Who the fuck cares?

You have never given any reason why anyone should adopt any of your confessional commitments.

You may want to either get serious with BAA and others over cosmology or stop the joke, which has gone far enough. True, the Lions' Den invites comments from Christians, but it's hard to see why yours are of value.

• Like 1

Shallow, narrow and myopic.  What a combination.  Religious indoctrination, particularly when it is repeatadly denied many decades after it occurred, is still religious indoctrination.

• Like 1