Goodbye Jesus

Sightseeing Arkansas And Mississippi?

Cousin Ricky

I plan to attend the American Atheist conference in Memphis next month. I thought it would be nice to knock a couple other states off my bucket list during this trip.

Arkansas is right across the river from Memphis. I consider Bill Clinton to be the best president of my lifetime. I know, it’s pretty pathetic, but Kennedy was murdered before he could accomplish anything, and Johnson (who accomplished more in a few months than Kennedy did in almost 3 years) blew it with the Vietnam War. Obama adamantly refuses to rectify Clinton’s biggest mistake, the financial deregulations, compromises before he starts his negotiations, and plays the very political games he promised to end. Carter, perhaps the most kind-hearted president we’ve ever had, just didn’t get it done. And don’t get me started on the Rethuglicans.

So yeah, the Clinton Library.

There are also the hot springs and the raw diamonds, though they are more out of the way. Steering well clear of Bentonville.

I have seriously considered forfeiting Mississippi because, well, you know, Mississippi. Other southern states say, “At least we’re not Mississippi.” But still, I can find several redeeming features of the state:

• Morgan Freeman
  • Malcolm Butler
  • Strictest childhood vaccination law in the country (Mississippi!?)
  • The Natchez Trace Parkway (so I imagine)

So, assessing that the risk of my exiting Mississippi alive isn’t all that much lower than other states, I’d still like to check it off my list.

The most obvious plan of action would be to rent a car in the days before or after the conference. Alas, I have no credit card nowadays, and I’ve found reserving a car without one to be hit or miss. A miss would cost me hundreds of dollars in insurance premiums.

Or should I save myself the expense and Greyhound it? Less freedom, less flexibility, and I’d miss out on scratching the freeway itch (I haven’t driven one since 2011). I won’t have to negotiate with and among rent-a-car companies, but on the other hand, I’d have to figure out bus schedules, and finding a convenient motel would be harder if I can’t just drive up to it. But I’d save a ton of money.

Or maybe find someone who’s interested in exploring with me?

Any ideas on how to pull this off? Planning and logistics are not my strong suits.

These American Atheist conferences have fast become the highlight of my year. I highly recommend them.

No, I didn’t forget Tupelo. Graceland’s not on my itinerary either.

Atheist Conference in Memphis? That's amazing. I might like to go to that. Will the National Guard be there to defend against the fundamentalists?   Rip

If you end up driving, although it might be too far out of your way, the Natchez Trace Parkway is a beautiful ride.  It goes from the Nashville, TN area down to Natchez, MS.  I drove the leg from Jackson to Natchez back in the 90s once.

At some point it would be worth it to visit a plantation. There are a number of them around that are open for tours. Seeing the mansion and the slave quarters is a sobering experience. And check Rent-A-Wreck. They might be able to work with you on a cash deal.

While you're looking at bus companies, they should be able to tell you what kind of hotels and other accommodations are close to their routes. Also how to make the necessary connections for where you want to go, what attractions you may want to take in while you're in the area, etc. They're trained for that sort of thing.

On my US-travels I usually look on craigslist for ride shares. Never had a bad experience with it. But that might be pure luck, don't know.

On my last trip I did airbnb and it was great. Though it takes quite some time to look into profiles and see if what they offer is what you are looking for.

Then hosteling was always a good experience. I usually look them up on hostelworld.com, read the recommendations, the bad ones first (in consideration of where the person comes from and what age the person is, male or female...), then the good ones and also I take a look what area it is in, how it is located according to public transport etc. They usually know the bus and other options to travel because that is what people in hostels are there for :). So they might offer day trips to interesting sites and know what other options you have to get there. You can team up with others who are interested in going there too. And you meet interesting people from all over the world...join them on a pub crawl or whatever...

And I also did some couch surfing, had good experiences too. But like airbnb it takes a while to find someone who you feel would be a good host and you need to send tons of requests out and maybe one or two will get back to you. Also you need a good profile yourself with a few pictures of you where you look like a good and nice person. Also your success in finding a host is better if your profile is filled in and you sound like an interesting and real person who has many interests especially in getting around and share experiences.

So if you want to have a good trip and not spend too much money and are not afraid to meet other travelers I recommend the above...fully conscious that it is not for everyone. While renting a car gives you more freedom and time to just go where you feel like, hosteling and ride shares gives you the opportunity to get to know things you would not have found alone...and to not do it all alone.

Or one idea just came to mind...maybe you find some people at the conference who have the same intentions? Maybe you can ask the people organizing the conference if there is a forum or something where you can find others who too would be in for some exploring or people who go there from your area you could give or get a ride there and therefore split costs for the rented car.

• Like 2

Chattanooga, TN has a really cool freshwater aquarium that might be neat to visit, if you're going that way. Most aquariums are marine, but this one is all about rivers, creeks, and lakes. Nifty.

Arkansas, too, has some neat history going on. Aside from Hot Springs National Park, which you mentioned, there's also the earthworks ruins of a few Mound-builder culture cities (Mississippian and Caddo). 

Most of the impressive caves and geology are going to be towards Tennessee and Kentucky (limestone karst terrain with caves and fossils) and to the East (the once-massive Appalachian Mountains, and all their exposed strata in the road cuts). But it seems like all the cool Mississippian city-states were in, well, mostly Mississippi. There's Cahokia, though, if you go just a bit North-West to Illinois.

Edit: and the Mississippi State Fossil is Basilosaurus, so it can't be all bad. I also just found out that Mississippi has a Petrified Forest, with fossil collection, so if you want your fossil fix, that's where it's at.

• 5 weeks later...

I rented a car and toured Little Rock, Hot Springs, the civil war battle site in Vicksburg, and the Natchez Trace Parkway. Renting the car was actually easier than returning it! The parkway was far more than I expected, and I'm so glad I made the trip. In fact, this road is fifteen thousand (15,000) years old, and has a lot of history behind it. As it turned out, I did spend the night in Tupelo, as it is on the parkway and was a convenient stopping point. I saw no sign of Whatshisface in Tupelo, not that I had my eye out for him.

On this road trip through four five Buybull Belt states, only three people mentioned my atheist T-shirts: two skeptics and one curious Christian.

Nashville has a fantastic-looking skyline.

I met Neil Carter at the convention.

• Like 1

At some point it would be worth it to visit a plantation. There are a number of them around that are open for tours. Seeing the mansion and the slave quarters is a sobering experience.

I visited the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis at the former Lorraine Motel. At one of the lectures, I met a (white) woman who seriously didn't know that slaves were considered merchandise. The look of shock on her face told it all. There were children at the museum, and I seriously hope they appreciate the sacrifices made by their grandparents' generation. My own relatives of my parents' generation tell me that black Americans of my generation are already starting to forget.