Goodbye Jesus

"patterns Of Evidence"

FarflungWanderer

My Dad was talking up this movie which stated that the OT was off by 800 years, and if you put it there the entire thing would "click".

Anyone know anything about this, any holes in the arguments, etc.?

I don't have any kind of formal argument, but I can say this: situate the OT any old where you want, and it still would not be true that

Adam and Eve ate a fruit and plunged all humanity into godforsakenness,

The Red Sea parted and allowed people to stroll across dry-shod,

The Israelites went from 70 people to 6+ million in a few hundred years,

Heavenly beings mated with human women and spawned a race of giants,

The sun stood still for a day,

Spotted cattle can be bred by having cattle mate in front of striped poles,

And on and on it goes. There's no place or time on this earth where any of these things are or would be true. I'm really not sure how moving these stories around in time helps their credibility.

• Like 2

I haven't seen that movie but what you describe sounds a lot like an argument made in Exodus Decoded.  The con-artist Simcha Jacobovici claimed that if you just shift the timeline accepted by (secular) archeology and move it a few hundred years suddenly everything in Exodus would fit.

This is not the case.

Guest Furball

Off topic, where is this verse in the bible?

Off topic, where is this verse in the bible?

Genesis 30.

I looked it up online as this was the first I had heard of it.  It blows me away, the kind of crap there is hidden away in the OT.  I really should read the whole of Genesis some time, but I never seem to get around to it, probably because I prefer reading non-fiction.

• Like 1

I don't have any kind of formal argument, but I can say this: situate the OT any old where you want, and it still would not be true [...]

This.

I've never heard about that movie before and chances are I'll never watch it, but if the claim stated in the OP is the entire selling point of the movie then it's a typical morontheist attempt to sell their bullshit - present one point (out of what feels like at least 7.2 million!) that may perhaps possibly somehow be true and claim "see?! It's all true! Glory to gaaaaaaawd!!!1111!!!1oneoneoneone!!!!!".

In other words: zzzZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

Just another attempt out of countless others to shift the goalposts to make things 'click', yet it never does.