Goodbye Jesus

Hi I'm Back! Let Me Tell You About My Ex-Christian Life...

Jaseph

...it's AWESOME! smile.png

It's been 1.5 years since I deconverted, but for some time I've been noticing that it's getting easier... I think that I am through most of the traumatic/difficult part. I really don't care so much about what people think about my deconversion. Now I don't think there might be something wrong with me (for not believing), but that there's something wrong with the christians (actually quite a lot). Many of them are very naive, hypocritical, manipulative, closed-minded, judgemental, etc. Of course also a lot of people outside of faith have those traits, but they xtianity virus somehow infects them to show many of these traits. Some are worse off then others. Some turn out to be really wonderful, loving, intellectual, open people. These are the ones that are still my friends. I don't see them as xtians, I see them as friends and just fellow humans - they doubt xtianity to some extent (everyone does), but have not managed to put in the massive effort needed to get rid of it. I don't push them to do so.

Last week two friends (now ex-friends) were pushing/manipulating me to come back to xtianity. They have already done this a lot and I've told them multiple times that I don't like this. When I realized that they were doing it again I told them that I am so glad that I left this horrible religion behind, that I am so happy that I don't have to believe that the people around me are in danger of hell and that I have to convince them to get saved, without any proof. I told them that the story is absurd - a loving God, threatening us with hell, sacrificing his son as some kind of solution, but not showing himself to us, or any evidence, expecting us to take a good guess or face eternal torment. I told them that this isn't a loving God, this is a monster. They didn't respond to this of course. I left the house and I will not meet with them again, even though I see them as very nice people, but they have really been brainwashed too much. Their whole life is built around God. I've been there. But I don't want that in my life again.

I've found out a lot about what I like and value and have been building my life around that. My life is becoming more and more productive, enjoyable, exciting, fulfililng, etc. I wouldn't have been able to do so as a xtian. As a xtian, the gospel was most important to me, because if it was true then people would go to hell if they didn't believe in him, so I had to find the evidence and show it to people. No wonder that my life was going very poorly at the time, I invested in the wrong things. Fortunately I now see the light (of reason)! biggrin.png

Science, I love it more and more. My thinking has been sharpened a lot because I no longer see the world as magical. I see it as something that can be studied, and should be studied, because it's fascinating! My grades at university have skyrocketed! smile.png

Ok, there are some difficulties, but not many. Talking with my parents about unbelief is still not easy. But I've decided that I don't need it. They mostly keep quiet about it so it's not really an issue. Would be nicer if we could talk openly about this, but I know that it's not the time right now. Fortunately, we are with 5 children and everyone has left xtianity, so we can talk about it with our siblings! wink.png

I could tell you a lot more! I just love my life right now! I thought I'd share this, perhaps it's nice for those who recently deconverted... you may know that the trauma and difficulty that you experience is just temporary... there are better times ahead!

• Like 7

Thanks for the update!  Glad to hear about your success at school and your growing appreciation of science.  If all five of your siblings are secular, then no doubt your parents did a lot right, even if they now may have some concerns about the results.  Christians aren't wrong when they say that a guess at the riddle is in order, but they are wrong about what is the right guess and what the consequences may be for a wrong guess.  They say that we must guess Yahweh or suffer his pout forever.  You learned that you must guess no God or have tangled thinking forever, investing in the wrong things.

Kinda down today and this cheerful report of happiness is nice to read.

Congrats to you!

• Like 1

Sounds great!  I'm happy for you!

• Like 1

I echo your sentiments! I remember thinking that things wouldn't get better but after 2 years I am also delighted with my ex-c life! Never been happier or more content. And none of our many siblings have come close to leaving yet either. That would be very nice but I'm not holding my breath... :)

• Like 1

Jaseph, I´m happy to hear that it is going well. I can relate on the science part. It has been like a big fog has been lifted. Like the world, the big universe is so much more special without a touch of magical fary spinkle dust.

This new perspective really grabbed me by the arms while deconverting, but sadly I think I sort of have gotten used to this new atheist-agnostic view? Like people who died almost, then had this big shift in their thinking (what is important and what isn't) but this shift in experience faded away? Any thoughts? :) 

I'm glad you can talk about it with your siblings! 

That's awesome that it's getting easier for you and that you're finding better things to invest your time in. :)

Sounds like you're weeding out the extreme people, as they're now ex-friends. That's a healthy choice, there's no need for people like that in your life.

It's unfortunate that you can't communicate openly and objectively on the topic of god/religion with your parents, but at least they leave you alone about it (unlike some of the ex-friends).

It's nice to hear stories about people who have went through the de-conversion process and are enjoying their life a hell of a lot more than when they were stuck in Christianity.
Keep us updated. =)

Thanks for your replies and for your positivity! :D

@dutchie - yeah I can imagine that this new worldview will eventually become normal... but still the world is so much more interesting and there is so much to learn and discover! Some things I was interested in after deconversion aren't as interesting to me now as they were back then... like evolution. I just get it and accept it now. I'm interested new findings about the topic, but I'm no longer obsessed by it! ;)

I'll keep you posted!