Goodbye Jesus

Things Atheists Post On Facebook

Castiel233

• Super Moderator

I just read "A Letter I Gave My Believer Wife" on the main blog. ( http://new.exchristian.net/2015/05/a-letter-i-gave-my-believer-wife.html

Webmdave posted the following picture to go with the article:

Blessed his he who smashes kid against rock.jpg

(I'm not on Facebook, so I don't know if the pic is making the rounds there or not, but it sure fits in this thread.  jesus.gif  )

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

1535737_775121579184605_666463585_n.jpg

There are a lot of great images in this thread, but this one is actually quite bad. The concept is good, but it was executed poorly. Just look up the first couple Bible references and it will become quite obvious that whoever created this image didn't even attempt to honestly represent what the Bible says. All that distortions like this do for Christians is confirm their preconception that atheists don't know what they're talking about.

Since this one came up again, let's look at the references that are problematic here. The first one is the worst one.

Matthew 18:6

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

That does not say to drown children. It says that the punishment for men who harm children will be worse than drowning. Using this in the chart above is an egregious distortion and demonstrates a lack of honesty on the part of whoever decided to include it.

Lamentations 2:20

Behold, O Lord, and consider to whom thou hast done this. Shall the women eat their fruit, and children of a span long? shall the priest and the prophet be slain in the sanctuary of the Lord?

This is questioning by the Israelites during distress. While not as problematic as the prior reference, it's still clearly not a command for mothers to eat their daughters.

Genesis 9:24

And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.

Leviticus 10:3

Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that the Lord spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace.

These say nothing about fire. Obviously the wrong references were given here.

Nahum 3:10

Yet was she carried away, she went into captivity: her young children also were dashed in pieces at the top of all the streets: and they cast lots for her honourable men, and all her great men were bound in chains.

This is merely telling part of a story, not a command to do such or praise for doing it. A better reference would've been Psalm 137:9, which is a song praising the act of dashing infants against rocks.

Obviously there are good references on the the chart, but the chart as a whole suffers from these errors, especially the highly egregious distortion of the very first reference.

Guest Furball

I just read "A Letter I Gave My Believer Wife" on the main blog. ( http://new.exchristian.net/2015/05/a-letter-i-gave-my-believer-wife.html

Webmdave posted the following picture to go with the article:

attachicon.gifBlessed his he who smashes kid against rock.jpg

(I'm not on Facebook, so I don't know if the pic is making the rounds there or not, but it sure fits in this thread.  jesus.gif  )

It is a great picture. And it is one of those verses that christians do everything to sweep under the carpet. Thanks for the link and the pic. I too am not on facebook, and from time to time, i get a little fearful that i may have posted duplicate pics. I don't want to get stoned for it. (fingers crossed)

Enjoy tomorrow everyone!

11083671_424569557712710_695963938331377

Unfortunately, I have to go to my younger brother's baptism tomorrow :/

Guest Furball

Enjoy tomorrow everyone!

11083671_424569557712710_695963938331377

Unfortunately, I have to go to my younger brother's baptism tomorrow :/

I'm at a loss for words...sorry =(

d691ff64a7136ed49f42aa7dd24e2521.jpg

• Like 4

17d92e480e42faea9e3d1e0370d097e5.jpg

• Like 5

THIS ONE MAKES ME SO MAD

Luckily it hasn't happened recently, but I've gotten a lot of 'your artistic ability is a god-given talent' at which I'm just like: NO, I practiced and studied for hours and hours every day for YEARS to be able to draw half as well as I do now.'' Don't give credit to /him/ give the credit to me, because I did all the work.

• Like 3

As much as I wish this were true, Groban didn't say that and has personally refuted this quote.