Goodbye Jesus

Evil Christian Morality - And An Antidote

Guest Mequa

Guest Mequa

Taking a look at what Christianity teaches, you see the following set down as iron-clad commandments:

- You should always put yourself last and other people first. (Matthew 16:24-25)

- When someone treats you badly, you should turn the other cheek and never fight back. (Matthew 5:39)

- When someone treats you badly, no matter how many times, you should always forgive them. (Matthew 18:21-22)

- God won't ever forgive you if you don't forgive your fellow humans. (Matthew 6:15)

These might seem innocent at first blush. However, don't be fooled.

To say these are open to abuse is a massive understatement.

Let's put these as a benchmark for judging other people in terms of their relationship with me, as many hypocritical Christians are fond of doing, and see how they come out:

- You should always put yourself last and me first. You should sacrifice yourself to me. Or you're a selfish bastard.

- When I treat you badly, you should turn the other cheek and never fight back. Or you're a bastard.

- No matter how many times I treat you badly, you should always forgive me. Or you're a bastard.

- Damn you to hell if you don't forgive me for repeatedly harming you. Your anger is pure evil.

It's no understatement that this is the mentality of a bona-fide psychopath.

It is for such reasons that Nietzsche considered Christian values to be infected with a "slave morality". Open to abuse as a system of control. Take these two lovely Bible passages:

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ." - Ephesians 6:5

"You who are slaves must accept the authority of your masters with all respect. Do what they tell you--not only if they are kind and reasonable, but even if they are cruel." - 1 Peter 2:18

Gotta love that enlightened New Testament.

As an antidote, let me give you four, non-hypocritical ethical guidelines to replace the original four I cited with their wretched New Testament 'slave morality':

- Put yourself first and wisely pursue your own happiness and well-being, without either harming other people or letting them harm you as much as possible.

- When someone genuinely treats you badly, you have a right to fight back with reasonable force. Just as if you treat someone else badly, they have a right to fight back with reasonable force. (Not necessarily physical). Prudently and pro-socially punishing an aggressor with reasonable force can help both others and yourself.

- When someone genuinely treats you badly, especially repeatedly, there is no shame in feeling anger and hating their guts. It's a natural signal to keep them out of your life, and maybe dish out some proportional pro-social punishment when prudent.

- Anger and hate have their place as natural human emotions, but try not to let bitter resentment sour your enjoyment of life.

The slave tablets are thereby broken. The time has come to get off your knees, lift your hands high, and live as a free man or woman like you deserve to. Stand up for your rights, nobody has the right to abuse you with impunity. Jesus was wrong.

Mequa

• Like 4

Good stuff, indeed

Great post, I'd love to see it in the Den.

• Super Moderator

Yes, I'd love to see the xtians' feeble attempts at responding to this too.  (So Mequa, if you want me to move your thread to the Lion's Den, just let me know.)

Guest Mequa

Sure, go ahead, let's stick this in the Lion's Den. Provided they can keep personal mud-slinging out of the discussion.

Last time I debated this issue with Christians, they just quoted Jesus's guilt trip:

"Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it." (Matthew 16:24-25)

I call this a cult of death. The Cross is quite rightly a symbol of death.

Anyone disagree?

• Super Moderator

Thread moved to Lion's Den.  Please honor the OP's request to keep the personal mud-slinging out of the discussion.   Thx

My dad was an agnostic, a well meaning caring man, who would prey to god every night "in case he was out there". He put me in Sunday School, even though he never went to any of the church Sunday sermons. My 5th grade teacher taught me both "turn the cheek" and "you must forgive others if you want to be forgiven too". Then..she died in a small plane accident.. and this programming was permanently a part of my mental operating system...until I succeeded in reprogramming myself fully 3 years ago.

What this meant was a life of always....and I mean always turning the other cheek. It meant being treated like a total doormat... and not understanding why. It meant praying EVERY DAY for god to forgive EVERYONE who had harmed me THAT DAY. Day, after day, after day. Yet... these folks...almost all of the Christian folks... kept harming me, using me, abusing me, and belittling me... day after day after day... and still I DID NOT KNOW WHY.

Well, now I fully know why, and I feel sooooo stupid stupid stupid stupid. I lived a life of fear, huge anxiety, and abuse..all because I need to placate an invisible, never talking, always oddly disingenuous, often mean spirited... "all powerful" "person/god/spirit "out there" who I ascribed my very existence to in a spirit of gratefulness to him.

Now... all I can say to all of that is OMg WTF! Why did I do that to myself?? Stupid, stupid, stupid me.

I have lived a near 100% anxiety free life for about the last 3 years. :) :) :) :) ;). No anxiety medication At all. Finally, everything around me makes sense. I am loving life and making the most of the remaining years of this only life. I am expressing empathy to others in a much more meaningful way. And... lol funny... my old Christian friends..who of course I have to keep in the dark if I wish to maintain a relationship with them HAVE COME TO BOTH LIKE ME AND RESPECT ME MORE since I stopped believing and stopped turning the other cheek. Now...why would they respect this atheist version of me over the Mathew chapter 5 version of me? Hummmmm.

I encourage any Christian who sees only marginal or negative benefits from their belief set to dive deep into what they think they believe, Google things like "god is imaginary". Read. Process. Understand. And then make the choice to override your mental operating system to the knowledge that god.... or at least the knowledge that the Christian god does not exist. You will then have an opportunity to live in the real world, where "random" is the simply explanation for the "bad things" that happen to you; a world of no false anxiety. A world where you can look upon all of the law abiding people who are not like yourself and for who you will nolonger recent or hate who they are ir what they do....cause nothing they are doing actually negatively impact YOU in any way, shape or form.

• Like 1