Goodbye Jesus

Jack Hibbs: The Revival Of The Islamic State

SoulCanvas

My apologies if I've chosen the incorrect place to post this.

Today, my pastor played this video of this message by Jack Hibbs. It was extremely difficult for me to watch. I would greatly appreciate some feedback and thoughts on his words. Thanks guys! 

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
  • Super Moderator

Most of us won't/can't spend time watching long videos. Maybe you could sum it up so people will know what it's about, then maybe some would be interested enough to watch a video.

I'm confused to see you say you have a "pastor." Are you still a sheep?

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm in a hurry to get somewhere so I'll go through later tonight and list off the major parts in the video. 

As for me, I'm a first year college student. Last year I left Christianity, but my parents have yet to find out. So, when I travel back home on the weekends, I'm still required to attend church with them.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching the video now and I'll try and assist in tackling this topic. 

After mid way through the sermon I'm thinking to myself, "Dawkins is right! A full eradication of superstitious religious belief seems like the only way out of this mess." 

Ok, I've watched all the way through. 

If you'll state your concerns I'll try and address them. This shouldn't be difficult to watch from an ex-christian stand point so hopefully I can represent our position on Christians war mongering against Islam (that's the video in a nut shell) in a way that makes sense to you, even though you're still very close in to Christianity and susceptible to the emotional fear being promoted. 

I watched this the whole way through too, SoulCanvas.

It wasn't as bad as I expected, to be honest. It was informative and I learned a lot about how the Church in the US is choosing to handle this current crisis. There's a lot worse out there.

I think he was pretty courageous in attempting to address it. His history was pretty accurate but left a lot out - the ebb and flow of empires, Roman and Catholic expansion. The information was OK but the spin he puts on it obviously serves his own agenda/beliefs. I disagree with his evaluation of Obama's policy on working with Muslims and handling ISIL too. There are a  lot of Muslims on the planet and most of them do not want to live a life of conflict. They see their religious practice as peaceful and disciplined. The whole history of the middle East is so complex. Shared heritages and opposing agendas. Ultimately both the speaker in this video and all the other parties involved are just clawing around for a divine mandate to prop-up political beliefs. It's so past time for the world to move on from this, don't you think?

There's also the small matter of him being a White European male saying all this from California. Oh, the irony. :)  Los Angeles - claimed by Spanish expansionists and Catholic missionaries?

It's all such a shame. What a mess of books and ideas - some good, some terrible. How can anyone navigate all that while clinging onto belief? 

I made a few more specific notes offline which I'll save for later if anything crops up.

Wow, it's been awhile! I feel guilty for not writing that summary I promised. 

A big thanks to the both of you for taking the time to watch this. Your responses were helpful. I'm going to re-watch this sometime soon. I feel that my reaction of the video was more dramatic than it should have been. I guess I was mostly put off by his attitude. I also should have searched for sources for myself before I asked you all to take the time to watch this. 

Thanks again. My journey out of religion is bound to reveal more lessons. 

• Like 1