Goodbye Jesus

Which Is The Stronger/better Force, Belief Or Knowledge?

ConsiderTheSource

I don't have a lot to add.  All I know is that when decision points are processed through one's belief set before they are processed through one's knowledge set very odd, often inaccurate, and biased conclusions are the result. 

Any ideas on how we can get folks to process in the most effective.... the "correct" order?

That's a tricky question. I think that education is very important, but of course that only works for certain situations.

For example: it is my belief that the preachments of the catholic church regarding the use of condoms being tantamount to murder have contributed to (or at the very least, have not done anything to quell) the spread of HIV/AIDS in Africa. We know that condoms are a very effective way of reducing the risk of HIV transmission. The church believes that the use of condoms is a sin, and it does what it can to convince its members of this. Consequently, there are many people in the world who believe that the use of condoms is wrong. Some of these people know that using condoms is also helpful, but some don't. In this case, an increase of high-quality secular education may lead to more people making sound choices.

There are other cases, however, where individuals already know the facts and still choose to act according to their beliefs regardless of their knowledge. In these cases the problem is much more difficult to solve. I'm not sure I have a good solution. I'll have to give this some more thought.