Goodbye Jesus

Unitarian Universalists

Rauliscool

Hello everyone! Has anyone on here had any experience with the Unitarian Universalists? If so, what were your impressions? I've heard that they are very open-minded, have very little creed/dogma, and some congregations even are humanist in orientation. I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences.

Several members of the forum are Unitarian.  The churches are very open and inclusive and tend to focus on social justice.  Some former Christians find it to be a good fit, but it's not for me.  The ones that I've visited seemed to me like gatherings of liberal activists pretending to have a traditional church service.

• Super Moderator

Not for me, either. If I don't have a god to worship, why would I have a "church?" There are plenty of organizations and clubs I can enjoy that don't pretend to be churches or religions.

Keep in mind I'm a crotchety and pragmatic old fart, so YMMV.

Not for me, either. If I don't have a god to worship, why would I have a "church?" There are plenty of organizations and clubs I can enjoy that don't pretend to be churches or religions.

Florduh you said once that you have "the spirituality of a brick", so I must ask: why do you post in the spirituality forum?

• Super Moderator

Florduh you said once that you have "the spirituality of a brick", so I must ask: why do you post in the spirituality forum?

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened. 

Thanks for the replies! I suppose I'd still like a form of community that is similar to a church, but without all the supernatural and dogmatic baggage. I've never been to one, so I might have the same reaction with it being too church-y.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened. 

*cough*

I am a Unitarian Universalist. :) Yes, you're right, there is no creed, and though I can't speak for all UUs, my congregation is humanist. There is an order of service just as there is in a christian church. For me, community is essential for personal reasons. I lived without a community for years, and have found over time that I need it. I'll quote the UU "statement" to give an idea of where the focus is.

"Love is the doctrine of this congregation. The quest for truth is our sacrament, and service is our prayer. To dwell together in peace, to seek knowledge in freedom, and to share our strength in fellowship, thus do we covenant."

• Super Moderator

Orbit, I'm flattered that you follow me so closely.

As to the topic, as others have said, UU isn't for everybody and the various groups of them have distinctly different flavors. My neighbors went to one that was basically just "Christian Light" and they switched to another group that focused on New Age and Pagan stuff. Again, I'd say if you hold Pagan beliefs you'd be better off with a Pagan group. Raul says he has "no gods" so I don't see the point of going to a faux church.