Goodbye Jesus

Pride Is The Worst Sin Of All... Yet God Is Super Prideful?

Aiyana

This thought hit me the other day. I was thinking about pride, and how we are taught as Christians that it's the worst sin of all. It's the sin that caused Lucifer to fall, and all that. Yet, God (our example, our Father, our Creator, etc.) is prideful as fuck. Why is that okay? I know, I know, he's the bomb diggety, he's the best thing since sliced bread, whatever. Why does that matter? Wouldn't he be a much, much better example for humanity if he could be all that amazingness and yet be HUMBLE about it? I guess that's why the Jesus figure was invented? To be the humble third of the trinity?

It just really struck me as bizarre (like everything about Christianity). I thought of it in terms of the Father thing. If we had a dad who was incredibly prideful (even if he had reason to be... even if he was gorgeous, rich, intelligent, and powerful)... we would think of him as a complete dick if he was prideful and thought we were just the pond scum who should worship him.

If I were super amazing and rich and talented and beautiful, and I invented some kind of virtual reality and created a bunch of AI to live there, wouldn't it be pretty fucked up if I just demanded their worship? Wouldn't I be a much better god(dess) if I were kind and humble?

Anyway. Just a trippy thought while driving the other day.

• Like 5

Thus sayith the Lord your God:

Do as I sayith but not as I doith!

I always liked Mose's comment -- "I, Moses, the most humble of God's servants...".

Ha-ha!!!! Say what?!?

Its funny cuz, when you boast about something, you're being the furthest thing from being humble... Get it? Is it funny, or just me?

• Like 4

Ummm... Aiyana.

If the Christian God always speaks the truth, then He's constrained to always speak the truth about Himself, His nature and His attributes.  So if He is all-knowing, all-powerful, all-seeing, omnipresent, perfectly good, perfectly wise, etc., etc... then when He refers to Himself in these terms He's not being proud.   He's simply stating the truth.

I am (of course) playing Devil's Advocate here and operating on the assumption that the Bible is a reliable source of information about God.

Personally, I don't think it is at all.

Thanks,

BAA.

He created beings to cultivate his garden when he knew many would end up suffering for all eternity. But hey, someone needs to work the fucking ground!

Good point, BAA.

No problem, Aiyana.  smile.png

Sadly, those who wrote the Bible genuinely believed that there was a God who was all-knowing, perfect, good, etc., etc.

But as we both know, even absolute belief in Him doesn't make Him real.

Thanks,

BAA.

Ummm... Aiyana.

If the Christian God always speaks the truth, then He's constrained to always speak the truth about Himself, His nature and His attributes.  So if He is all-knowing, all-powerful, all-seeing, omnipresent, perfectly good, perfectly wise, etc., etc... then when He refers to Himself in these terms He's not being proud.   He's simply stating the truth.

I am (of course) playing Devil's Advocate here and operating on the assumption that the Bible is a reliable source of information about God.

Thanks,

BAA.

It's a nobel effort BAA, but that position has a fatal flaw.

God was so humble that he created a race of being that need to worship God.

Ummm... Aiyana.

Thanks,

BAA.

It's a nobel effort BAA, but that position has a fatal flaw.

God was so humble that he created a race of being that need to worship God.

That would be a noble effort, MM.

A nobel effort might win me one of these... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize

But your point is well made...and well taken.

smile.png

Sorry, I couldn't spell to save my life.  The spellchecker is my crutch but it can't work miracles.   :)

This thought hit me the other day. I was thinking about pride, and how we are taught as Christians that it's the worst sin of all. It's the sin that caused Lucifer to fall, and all that. Yet, God (our example, our Father, our Creator, etc.) is prideful as fuck. Why is that okay? I know, I know, he's the bomb diggety, he's the best thing since sliced bread, whatever. Why does that matter? Wouldn't he be a much, much better example for humanity if he could be all that amazingness and yet be HUMBLE about it? I guess that's why the Jesus figure was invented? To be the humble third of the trinity?

It just really struck me as bizarre (like everything about Christianity). I thought of it in terms of the Father thing. If we had a dad who was incredibly prideful (even if he had reason to be... even if he was gorgeous, rich, intelligent, and powerful)... we would think of him as a complete dick if he was prideful and thought we were just the pond scum who should worship him.

If I were super amazing and rich and talented and beautiful, and I invented some kind of virtual reality and created a bunch of AI to live there, wouldn't it be pretty fucked up if I just demanded their worship? Wouldn't I be a much better god(dess) if I were kind and humble?

Anyway. Just a trippy thought while driving the other day.

I can't disagree with a thing you said here.

My understanding of it is this: Pride is "sinful" because it exalts the self above God. God alone is worthy of all worship praise, since he's omni-everything. A person should give credit where credit is due. When a person is prideful, they look to themselves instead of God and put themselves in God's place. Lucifer fell because he wanted to take the place of God, and God doesn't like that.