Goodbye Jesus

Happy Easter

ironhorse

Thank you CeilingCat, I misplaced the two words. I was running in and out of the house at the time.

I did mean seek comfort (pleasure would actually be a better word).

And before anyone else accuses me of being blissfully ignorant on this,

please consult a dictionary and explain why my statement on Epicureans is incorrect.

This is not a matter of a dictionary, you ass.  Go start with Diogenes Laertius book 10.  Then add Diogenes of Oenoanda.  If you still have a mind left by that point of exertion, try Cicero, De Finibus book 1. 

Jesus fucking Christ.

• Like 3

Thank you CeilingCat, I misplaced the two words. I was running in and out of the house at the time.

please consult a dictionary and explain why my statement on Epicureans is incorrect.

This is not a matter of a dictionary, you ass.  Go start with Diogenes Laertius book 10.  Then add Diogenes of Oenoanda.  If you still have a mind left by that point of exertion, try Cicero, De Finibus book 1. 

Jesus fucking Christ.

Quoted for truth. Epicurean thought, while you  can poke fun at it a little, isn't what one might think it is. There's a certain stoic nobility to it, though I'm probably using words terribly inaccurate to what it is that will likely piss off anyone who knows more about it than I.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Tin Pony's research skills seem limited to the Bible, certain websites, lyrics from certain music and, now, let's add the dictionary.

This is additional evidence that Tin Pony's statements are shallow, myopic and narrow.  Willful ignorance is hard work.

• Like 3

from freedictionary.com:

epicurean

Devoted to the pursuit of sensual pleasure, especially the enjoyment of good food and drink.

from freedictionary.com:

epicurean

Devoted to the pursuit of sensual pleasure, especially the enjoyment of good food and drink.

Dude, is "epicurean" the word you use to describe "normal" people?

If you meant normal then it is better to just use the word normal.

Tin Pony's research skills seem limited to the Bible, certain websites, lyrics from certain music and, now, let's add the dictionary.

This is additional evidence that Tin Pony's statements are shallow, myopic and narrow.  Willful ignorance is hard work.

from freedictionary.com:

epicurean

Exhibit 1.  Right on cue.

You know, would it really hurt a member's reputation if they agree with me that the definition I posted is

what you will find in a dictionary

I understand the hostility to my Christian faith. That is part of the terrain here.

What I don't understand is this avoidance of us agreeing on something as simple as the definition of a word.  

I understand the hostility to my Christian faith. 

Nobody is hostile to your Christian faith.  We are only hostile to your efforts to enslave others.  As for your word

usage it is inappropriate to substitute epicurean when you are actually trying to describe normal people.

You know, would it really hurt a member's reputation if they agree with me that the definition I posted is

I understand the hostility to my Christian faith. That is part of the terrain here.

What I don't understand is this avoidance of us agreeing on something as simple as the definition of a word.  

Is that what it means in the original Greek, Ironhorse?  

Now why don't you answer what I asked in post #26?  Can you do that for me please?

duderonomy,

I can't read Greek. I don't think the word epicurean would have a different meaning in Greek?

Your questions in #26 were off topic.

duderonomy,

I can't read Greek. I don't think the word epicurean would have a different meaning in Greek?

They were off topic? On a Happy Easter thread, your Happy Easter thread, questions about Jesus coming back from the dead as found in the Bible are off topic?

The ancient Epicureans used to say that the wise man is happy even on the rack.

Ironhorse, this Epicurean stuff started with the above statement of mine.

Later on I referred to the ancient school of Epicurus.

I was not talking about later senses of the word "epicurean" in English.

I invite you to read Lucretius' On the Nature of Things, which is an epic poem about all of reality.  It was written in the first century BCE by an Epicurean, Lucretius.

You may also profit from reading the sources that I cited in #51 above.

Even St. Paul is portrayed in Acts as talking to Epicurean and Stoic philosophers.  If you're going to use such terms, it would be a good thing to use them as they were used by the people who coined them.

The word Epicurean is just an adjective formed from the name, Epicurus.  Epicurus was the founder of a philosophical school in Athens around 300 BCE.  He proposed many insightful things about human life, happiness, friendship, religion, and other important topics.

Later on, his name became bowdlerized in English into an adjective that usually refers to people who subscribe to the "eat, drink and be merry" view of life.  That was not Epicurus'.  And you'll see that if you investigate the texts I suggested.

That's because for many words, "Epicurean" being one of them, you are too lazy to look beyond the closest dictionary.  The point being is that many words have content and meaning well beyond how they are briefly described in a dictionary, and in many cases, such as regards the word "Epicurean", there exists an entire historical philosophy behind the term, something you obviously have not bothered to recognize or study in all those years (you claim) to have investigated things other than your infantile religion.

But I'm not telling you anything you, or anyone one on this forum, doesn't already know.

Your admission that you "don't understand" is informative, at least to me and others, if not to you.

I don't think...

I just had to quote mine this.  Please forgive me.

• Like 1

duderonomy,

They were off topic? On a Happy Easter thread, your Happy Easter thread, questions about Jesus coming back from the dead as found in the Bible are off topic?

Yes they were off topic.  Tin pony created this thread so that he could brainwash people into slavery.  

Exposing the flaws of Christian theology goes against the very purpose of this thread.

58.gif

Nice work!  Keep it up.

duderonomy,

And there are many of us here who do read Koine, Ironhorse.

Not modern day Greek, but the Koine that was used and written in New Testament times.  There are also Ex-pastors, Ex-lay preachers and Ex-missionaries in this forum who are well-schooled in NT Greek.

You're like a grade school kid trying to tell a college professor how to do their job!

Agrammatoi idiotai.

Agrammatoi idiotai.

Did you just call him an aggravating idiot?

I really don't know, but I would think its funny if I'm right cuz I'm just guessing.

I'm not saying here, Fwee.  wink.png  Ironhorse can do the work for himself if he wants to understand what those words mean.

Or he can try understand them by faith, not knowledge.  Wendyloser.gif

Just as he 'understands' the hand of god at work in the universe by faith, not knowledge.  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

But I'll PM you the meaning asap, ok?

Thanks,

BAA.

If I remember my random-access knowledge correctly, the word idiotia meant "common man" or something like that rather than, well... moron.

But I might be misremembering that.