Goodbye Jesus

Nearly Everything Is Evil...

Lucy

I'm wondering if anyone here ever met the sort of Christian who thought nearly everything was evil and sinful. Or maybe you were the sort that thought that? These are the types of things that would seem crazy to even most Christians.

I remember being told the following things were sinful and I'm risking going to hell for liking them.

Unicorns - The horn represents Jesus's penis. There was a big long gruesome story accompanying this. I was told this when I as a child.

Rainbows - They turn you gay. That's why they are a gay pride symbol.

The color "red" - It's the color of harlots and Satan.

The Lion King - Basically any movie where problems are resolved without someone praying to god. The lions were saved by Simba which is entirely unacceptable. The movie should have ended with the lions praying for Jesus to save them and then some miracle happening. The person telling me this went on and on about how movies that aren't glorifying god are ruining our country.

All Disney movies - They all have subliminal penises in them. These subliminal penises are placed there to make children more agreeable to seduction by pedophiles.

Eating without utensils - Heathens and animals do this.

Eating with chopsticks - This was started by Buddhists so it's against Christianity. Eating with chopsticks is glorifying Buddhist teachings. Christians must not eat with chopsticks. 

Refrigerators - The bible says you should put trust in god and don't worry about tomorrow. If you are trying to preserve any food you are not trusting that god will feed you. Eat what you have today and throw away leftovers. Don't save any money either. Spend it as soon as you get it. God will provide. These people actually lived without refrigerators, without savings, without stored food of any kind.

The word "lucky"  - It's Satan's nickname. That's why it has to do with gambling which is also evil. Never say that something was lucky. Never say "good luck." You are never "lucky." You are "blessed." If you use "blessed" you are glorifying god. If you use "lucky" you are giving credit to Satan for the good things in your life. "Lucky" is Satan's nickname which comes from his name "Lucifer." The name "Lucifer" is evil. The names "Lucille" and "Lucy" are feminine forms of Lucifer and are also evil.

These sort of things used to stress me out when I was young because the people telling me this were so adamant about it. And yes, an adult said to me as a child that I'm sinful for my favorite color being red. They went on and on about how red is evil. I actually started telling people I like the color purple for awhile because it worried me.

Does this sound totally foreign to you all? Or maybe you can add some of your own things to the list of nonsensical sinful sins...

• Like 1

You were "told" a bunch of nonsense.  It's a good thing that you figured that out and no longer believe those bald assertions.

Lucy, i was pretty much told all of those things when i was growing up. The one with perserving food, i hear my dad left refrigerated food uncovered and when my brother said something to him about it, he got the response that no one should worry about it the lord is looking over me.

I think my parents religion and upbringing(the were farmers when growing up in WV) had a lot to do with their beliefs. As a matter of fact my mothers side had 13 brothers and sisters living in 1 house with no electric or running water and only 1 bedroom. I think their religious belief boarded on baptist/amish at times. In conclusion, i have heard some whoopers when it comes down to "what you can go to hell for".

omg these are hilariously crazy! I'd love to hear more about the Unicorn story. Never ever heard anything like that before. I honestly haven't heard most of these and I grew up in a pretty fundy environment. What type of xtianity did you grow up in? The eating with chopsticks thing is ridiculous and sounds xenophobic and ethnocentric. Better not be a missionary in Asia if you have that mindset. Idk how people can reach anyone for jebus with this nonsense. The only thing i heard even remotely close to these is that Harry Potter is evil. I got ganged up on and picked on by a bunch of other girls at church because I had read Harry Potter. Funny thing is that at least two of the girls had read LOTR..... 

The people who say and do these stupid things don't just walk out into traffic because they don't want to get ran over.  Where's the lord then?  Oh, we're not supposed to test him?  Blah, blah, blah.  Mindless idiots.

mwc

Some of these things are familiar to me, growing up in a fundy church.  Others are new, like the refigerator thing.  Thanks for sharing this list, it's always good to be reminded in detail how cray cray fundy thinking is.

The anecdote I'd like to add goes like this.  I was at a church social event and I said something and ended it with "fingers crossed".  I was admonished for this, because believing in luck is not of god, apparently.  The same woman told our home group that we should avoid things like acupuncture because it is "of the East" and therefore not of (the xian) god.  She also claimed to have been miraculously healed of a chronic illness, and how blessed she was, while I and many others in the church were battling illnesses like depression, with zero answers to prayer.

Wow. That list is truly insane.

But this....

Refrigerators - The bible says you should put trust in god and don't worry about tomorrow. If you are trying to preserve any food you are not trusting that god will feed you. Eat what you have today and throw away leftovers. Don't save any money either. Spend it as soon as you get it. God will provide. These people actually lived without refrigerators, without savings, without stored food of any kind.

this is actually offensive. Throw away leftovers and spend money as soon as you get it? Why not instead make it a point NOT to waste food since there are, you know, starving people, probably in your own neighborhood... and maybe use that money to help, oh, I don't know...someone in need? What is the money being spent on? I'm surprised they weren't told to donate any money directly to the church.

And cool, no stored food of any kind...so now you need to go grocery shopping every single day? Or does God mysteriously deliver food to the doorstep of those who truly believe?

Lucy...I'm so glad your rational mind has taken over!

• Like 2

I remember being warned that being too fond of the earth's animals is a sin, as you're not focusing on god himself if you're focusing on god's creation.

Also um... Not warning your friends when they sin, like when they copy CDs! (i wonder how many felt their ears burning, as Xtian praise music was spread around among teenagers in the form of copied CDs. Kind of ironic.)

Lucy, i was pretty much told all of those things when i was growing up. The one with perserving food, i hear my dad left refrigerated food uncovered and when my brother said something to him about it, he got the response that no one should worry about it the lord is looking over me.

I think my parents religion and upbringing(the were farmers when growing up in WV) had a lot to do with their beliefs. As a matter of fact my mothers side had 13 brothers and sisters living in 1 house with no electric or running water and only 1 bedroom. I think their religious belief boarded on baptist/amish at times. In conclusion, i have heard some whoopers when it comes down to "what you can go to hell for".

I'd never heard of most of these warnings. I think the one about utensils is the weirdest. How do they think Jesus and friends ate bread at the Last Supper?

BTW, even the Amish have refrigerators (sort of), either kerosene-powered or old-fashion ice boxes.

Man -- no wonder our economy is f*****d, when certain Americans consider it a religious duty to spend every dollar they get as they get it?  CRAZY!  Do they buy life insurance, health insurance? Auto insurance?  No wonder they hate the idea of nationalized health insurance -- they would prefer the ad hoc version where they make no plans for the future, but show up at the emergency room when the problems become too big to handle.

If your own first name is Lucy, and they have told you that it is demonic, that would be a terrible thing to tell a person who was given the name Lucy. But perhaps you picked that screen name just for the "hell" of it.  In any case, I think that the name Lucy is actually quite beuatiful, and it does not ring true to my mind that there is any connection between the name and Lucifer.  I suppose one means "Light" and the other means "Light-Bearer" -- even so would this mean that the statement "God is Light" 1 John 1:5 means that Yahweh is Satan?  Maybe?  There is no having a discussion with a person who has thrown out reason at the beginning.

What other things were evil?  Here are a few that I heard about:

1.  Government income tax.  Apparently God has a mandated tax policy, and he hates the income tax.

2.  Premarital Sex.  It's a sin.

3.  Homosexual Activity.  It's a sin.

This thread reminds me of the Pet Shop Boys Song:  "It's a Sin!"

When I look back upon my life
it's always with a sense of shame
I've always been the one to blame
For everything I long to do
no matter when or where or who
has one thing in common too

It's a, it's a, it's a, it's a sin
It's a sin
Everything I've ever done
Everything I ever do
Every place I've ever been
Everywhere I'm going to
It's a sin

Holy fuck, this is a crazy list... I do know a family that won't let their kids (teenagers, actually), watch Disney movies, although I've never heard the explanation why. I think it has more to do with magic themes than subliminal penises, lol.

Wait, rainbows?

Dafuq?

Doesn't the Bible say that God made them?

• Like 1

I also once heard an explanation that premarital sex was wrong because you were "worshipping" your sex partner, treating them as an idol and putting them before Jesus in your life.

I've also heard the same about putting animals on a pedestal and being concerned about the environment. Apparently you don't trust God and you are too concerned with "this world" rather than God's wonderful kingdom waiting for you if you successfully give the least amount of shit possible about this world.

What a fucking mental disorder.

Will say that funnimental chix are hard to catch, much tougher to bed. Big However is when she finally catches that illusive first orgasm given her by someone else, nothing else matters... When she has ralized that OH GOD has nutting to with space spooks.

Hearing all my young life that carnal satisfaction was a SIN, my widdle mind was messed up until an older Lady fixed my thinking with several years of training.

All those damming words and attitudes towards early exploration of sexual urges has fucked more people than almost anything else. Got out? Learn to enjoy whatever you can.

kL

omg these are hilariously crazy! I'd love to hear more about the Unicorn story. Never ever heard anything like that before. I honestly haven't heard most of these and I grew up in a pretty fundy environment. What type of xtianity did you grow up in? The eating with chopsticks thing is ridiculous and sounds xenophobic and ethnocentric. Better not be a missionary in Asia if you have that mindset. Idk how people can reach anyone for jebus with this nonsense. The only thing i heard even remotely close to these is that Harry Potter is evil. I got ganged up on and picked on by a bunch of other girls at church because I had read Harry Potter. Funny thing is that at least two of the girls had read LOTR..... 

When Jesus was killed and he went to whever it was he went for 3 days, his corpse was desicrated. His penis was cut off and put on the head of a demon horse. It used its horn to rape virgins. This is supposedly the origin of unicorn fables which later became less morbid. She didn't believe this actually happened. She just thought it was the unicorn origin fable, so unicorns are evil.

Eating with chopsticks is because supposedly Buddha didn't like knives at the table and thought it was inappropriate to have a weapon to eat with. So that's why he introduced the idea of chopsticks. This came from some documentary about Buddism, so the origin of the reason for use of chopsticks being assocaited with Buddha may be true. But since they are associated with Buddha, they are evil.

this is actually offensive. Throw away leftovers and spend money as soon as you get it? Why not instead make it a point NOT to waste food since there are, you know, starving people, probably in your own neighborhood... and maybe use that money to help, oh, I don't know...someone in need? What is the money being spent on? I'm surprised they weren't told to donate any money directly to the church.

And cool, no stored food of any kind...so now you need to go grocery shopping every single day? Or does God mysteriously deliver food to the doorstep of those who truly believe?

Lucy...I'm so glad your rational mind has taken over!

These people were really really poor. They used the money they got to buy food and gas for their RV. They lived in an RV so that they could move in a hurry if need be. You never know when the apocalypse is coming and you might need to move in a hurry.  If they had a lot of money they would buy more expensive food. So if you earn a lot of money today you eat expensive steaks. If you didn't earn much, eat bologna. And they said people give them food often. Their income came from going to events and videoing the event then selling DVDs of it.

Holy fuck, this is a crazy list... I do know a family that won't let their kids (teenagers, actually), watch Disney movies, although I've never heard the explanation why. I think it has more to do with magic themes than subliminal penises, lol.

This one was shown to me as an absolute undisputeable one that "everybody knows."

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/mermaid.asp

Crazy lady said when she saw it she burned her copy of Little Mermaid. She went through several disney movies looking for phalluses and the word "SEX" can be seen in the Lion King (Disney claims it says SFX). You can find a lot of the subliminal Disney sex crap online now, but she was big into it in the 90s. She made a big long list of every offensive Disney scenes in all the most popular movies, then burned all the copies she owed.She was absolutely convinced that this was turning little girls into sluts.

If your own first name is Lucy, and they have told you that it is demonic, that would be a terrible thing to tell a person who was given the name Lucy. But perhaps you picked that screen name just for the "hell" of it.  In any case, I think that the name Lucy is actually quite beuatiful, and it does not ring true to my mind that there is any connection between the name and Lucifer.  I suppose one means "Light" and the other means "Light-Bearer" -- even so would this mean that the statement "God is Light" 1 John 1:5 means that Yahweh is Satan?  Maybe?  There is no having a discussion with a person who has thrown out reason at the beginning.

I had said I wanted to name my cat Lucy. So I was repremanded for this. I thought it was a pretty name.

I've been told I needed to change the spelling of my real name before. My mother spelled it the heathen way apparently.

Some of these things are familiar to me, growing up in a fundy church.  Others are new, like the refigerator thing.  Thanks for sharing this list, it's always good to be reminded in detail how cray cray fundy thinking is.

The anecdote I'd like to add goes like this.  I was at a church social event and I said something and ended it with "fingers crossed".  I was admonished for this, because believing in luck is not of god, apparently.  The same woman told our home group that we should avoid things like acupuncture because it is "of the East" and therefore not of (the xian) god.  She also claimed to have been miraculously healed of a chronic illness, and how blessed she was, while I and many others in the church were battling illnesses like depression, with zero answers to prayer.

I was told not to cross my fingers because it's bad too. Weirdly it's origins are Christian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossed_fingers

I always felt bad when someone would tell how god healed them. There is always an implication that those who aren't healed are either unworthy or don't believe strongly enough. Or else god wants them to suffer for some greater plan. Or just suffer now so that you can see how great heaven is by comparison.

• Like 1

When Jesus was killed and he went to whever it was he went for 3 days, his corpse was desicrated. His penis was cut off and put on the head of a demon horse. It used its horn to rape virgins. This is supposedly the origin of unicorn fables which later became less morbid. She didn't believe this actually happened. She just thought it was the unicorn origin fable, so unicorns are evil.

Hahhahahahahahah!!!!! Omg. That is ludicrous! So funny how xtians are so obsessed with sexual things... Where on earth did this story come from?!

• Like 1

"Writing on yourself" was another one. I was told i was defacing my body which is "Gods temple". I was told that by my teacher when i was in second grade. I was writing my friends phone number on my hand and i got that lecture for it and guess what? That was in a public school!!

"Writing on yourself" was another one. I was told i was defacing my body which is "Gods temple". I was told that by my teacher when i was in second grade. I was writing my friends phone number on my hand and i got that lecture for it and guess what? That was in a public school!!

I was told about that too, as a kid.  And anyone with tattoos was treated like a second class citizen.

If I need to write something on my hand, I still feel a little naughty, lol.

Just read a thread on a Pentecostal forum where they're super concerned about parents talking to their young about studies, careers and love, when they should be talking to them about eternity and warning them that there is hell awaiting for them unless they focus on the blood of jesus.

Just read a thread on a Pentecostal forum where they're super concerned about parents talking to their young about studies, careers and love, when they should be talking to them about eternity and warning them that there is hell awaiting for them unless they focus on the blood of jesus.

"Blood of Jesus" should be made into a Stephen King type horror movie with the main story line not focused around religion or goodness. Main story should be about him actually materializing from the dust somewhere and go on a killing spree to get revenge for being cruicified. Then have a plot twist on the end where the main characters have to run for their lives and summon Satan to combat Jesus to save the world.

Crazy how people want to rush in and get kids involved with religion. Kind of seems like mental child abuse in a way.

• Like 2

*Facepalms*

• Like 2

Well, the Lion King has the word "sex" written in the sky in a few frames of the movie. I remember Christians going nuts about that. It's actually there, too.

• Like 1

Growing up, I was taught that playing musical instruments was sinful. Also, worshipping god with musical instruments was sinful because accodring to the Bible, we are supposed to sing and make melody in our hearts ONLY (Ephesians 5:19). Forget about the instruments in Psalms. That was the Old Testament.

I was also taught that burning candles was sinful because that is what Catholics do, and they are going to hell.

How in the world do people live with themselves and these stupid teachings?

• Like 2