Goodbye Jesus

Where Does The Universe Come From?

Adam5

If asked that question what would you say?

Would you say, you dont know, or give another explanation?  Thanks

• Super Moderator

Best guess, China.

LOL  ^^^

I created the universe last Thursday.  You can't prove I didn't.

Guest Furball

This is why religion exists. The unanswerable question of the universe's origins, and how we fit into it as well as the who, what, when, where, and why's is why people turn to religion to give them the answers. People don't like to live in a world of uncertainty, they need answers to life's biggest questions, and voila! religion fixes that problem for them, even if they know it is fake. To them, a false comfort is better than no comfort. -peace/Cat

• Like 2

I might say something like I don't know but I think the big bang theory is probably the best thing we've got at the moment although if that changes (and I do hope something more definitive comes along) I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

mwc

• Like 1

I dunno. I dont lose sleep over it. Woyld rather truthfully not know than lie and assume we do

• Like 2

Which universe?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your responses, including the funny ones :D

This is why religion exists. The unanswerable question of the universe's origins, and how we fit into it as well as the who, what, when, where, and why's is why people turn to religion to give them the answers. People don't like to live in a world of uncertainty, they need answers to life's biggest questions, and voila! religion fixes that problem for them, even if they know it is fake. To them, a false comfort is better than no comfort. -peace/Cat

I agree.  False comfort to big questions is the reason why religion exists.

Why does the universe have to come from somewhere?

Time/space don't exist anywhere but in our universe. Therefore there's a very good chance that it doesn't "come" from anywhere. This doesn't bother me, because as a xtian I said the same thing about God, but that was more problematic due to his inherent complexity.

• Like 1

I think if we can discover life in space at its beginnings, we would be closer to solving evolution. If the universe had a beginning, then I believe life did as well. If the universe had no beginning then why should life have to have a beginning? The way we perceive the known universe is that all things have a beginning and no ending (speaking philosophically-religiously, being life after death, reincarnation, that stuff). Some scientists believe our universe will end some day. Humans will be long extinct by then, so what purpose would a god have for continuing the universe with no one around to 'ooh and awe' over his work and make him feel good about himself? Why should the universe end? I think of it as a perpetual creation machine and will never run end. If I'm wrong there won't be anyone around by then to criticize me anyway.  

What if the Big Bang produced life almost instantly instead of billions of years of evolution? What if, what if, what if ...?

The easiest way to reverse-engineer something, including the evolution of the universe, is to start at the present and work backwards. What we see at the present is evidence to support an expanding universe theory such as the big bang, or the really quiet phhftt! Om! Whatever sound you want to give it. So, the current explanation explains our universe had a beginning. Biblically, the universe has always existed and everything we see in the universe was created to suit a god's purpose. Realistically, the universe never existed, and it is space that inflated from the big bang. I would think if something were created, it would have a boundary. What we call 'the universe' (everything created after the big bang) has no physical boundary. We exist like a cosmic dust bunny. You can see the dust bunny and toss it in the air and that would be us as space in the universe. It's a weird thought. I believe our universe had a beginning. I do not believe it was created to serve a selfish self-centered purpose of an all-powerful god. I believe the universe accidentally created life such as ourselves.

I would say that the question presupposes that there is somewhere for the universe to come from. I'm not sure that this is a good assumption, so I'm not sure that the question really makes sense.

Please demonstrate that the universe must come from somewhere, as that is a premise of your question.

And while you're at it, please define "universe" for the purposes of your question.

Hmmm . . . God spoke, and it was done. Ex nihilo. (Translated loosely from the Latin, this means "pulled out of god's ass.")

I could say this. But I prefer to just say I don't know.

• Like 1

Time/space don't exist anywhere but in our universe.

And this is known, how?
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From a singularity that has no effect on the universe actually being created or not. E.g was random.

Means that before the big bang there was no such thing as time meaning the laws of the universe were unstable

Its complicated but the theory of relativity does not hold true for small items only big ones.

For small items things are unstable including space time. Two anti-quarks can put a quark out of existance.

When we have instability then it follows that the singularity must also be unstable. Black holes for example do not work with time and the centre of them is the same as the singularity.

Ultimately if you want an easy answer read stephen hawkings a brief history of time

• Like 1

A singularly in the sense that it is being discussed here is not so much an actual concept with robust physical consequences; a singularity is an area that is not at all understood in any detail. Singularities are where our current understanding breaks down. I think this is a very important concept to understand if we wish to move foreword. When we speak of the singularity of a black hole for example, you should replace singularly with "we don't know what the hell is going on there" and you will be closer to understanding the limits of our current models. To emphasise once more, singularities in a cosmological sense are placeholders or short hand notations for "who the hell knows."

Regarding relativity, you need to be careful how you apply this concept to "small things." Certain aspects of relativity, particularly special relativity are crucial to quantum mechanics ("theory of small things"). For example, relativistic quantum mechanics is needed to explain many types of phenomena. One specific example is how the element Mercury is a liquid at room temperature. Predicting the nature of the Mercury atom would not be possible without relativistic correction factors.

Here's a funny video of an apologist fumbling around with this question to Aron Ra: 

I would say i don't know. I don't exactly know what the universe is comprised of yet to be able to make an assessment of where it came from.

There are always new discoveries and one of those new discoveries might give us better insight to what the universe actually is.

Everytime I wake up I create the universe again, seemingly right I left off when I fell asleep. 

I'm still trying to figure out where that lone shoe in the middle of the road comes from. I'll work on the universe tomorrow.