Goodbye Jesus

Book Reccomendations?

Rose

Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask. I am looking for some of your favorite atheist/ex-christian/deconversion books. What books helped you most to solidify your beliefs and feel confident in leaving?

I read "The God Delusion" several years ago, but I have not read anything since. I think I'm ready to be more open with my husband in that I am exploring other options. I'm tired of feeling like I shouldn't feel this way and I should just suck it up and believe. As much as I can read online (or in the Bible...), I still don't feel confident enough. Maybe if I can find something truly impactful, I can share it with my husband and bring him along with me on this journey.

Recommendations, stories, or insights are appreciated. Thanks!

I liked "The God Delusion". Also good is just about anything from Bart Ehrman. Also look up "A Manual for Creating Atheists" by Peter Boghossian. Hope that helps. Glory!

As a former christian I found that books written by ex-christians resonated with me, like Godless by Dan Barker and Why I Believed by Kenneth Daniels

My favourite - Biblical Nonsense, by Dr Jason Long.

I am writing an atheist/ex-christian/ deconversion book.  I shall let you know when I unleash it to the world!

Critical Historical Reading / Courses about Christianity and the Bible.

I'm finishing this one on youtube.  There is a reading list with lots of suggestions attached to the course:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL279CFA55C51E75E0

For me, I have found that this sort of enquiry, and actually reading the Bible through a Critical Historical lens goes right to the source destroying its credibility.  A collapse from within if you will.

Stuff like the God Delusion, is like an outside attack.   Valuable, but for me, not as effective.

A lot of university theology courses (from secular institutions) also have good reading lists published for students.  Critical Historical analysis is one of the major / standard methods used in academia.

Deconverted by Seth Andrews

Welcome, Rose!

Why I became and Atheist by John Loftus and Jesus, Interrupted by Bart Ehrman are my favorites.

Trying to finish Why I Believed by Kenneth Daniels right now. As much of an intellectual as I like to think I am, some of his stuff goes over my head, so be prepared! He's very thorough and thought provoking.

Thanks guys. It seems that my local library is strongly lacking in this department. I made an Amazon wishlist with all of your suggestions and I'm excited to get started. Now only to explain to my husband why I am buying them. He's pretty laid back, so I'm not too worried.

Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe (Greg Epstein) -- Mainly focused on a humanist worldview/ethics

Atheist Universe: The Thinking Persons Answer to Christian Fundamentalism (David Mills) -- This book has a lot of responses to common christian views

Disproving Christianity and Other Secular Writings (David Mcafee)

A Manual for Creating Atheists (Peter Boghossian)

Heres a few books I've gotten recently and plan on reading:

The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture (Darrel Ray)

Thinking Fast and Slow (Daniel Kahneman)

If you purchase books on Amazon, they automatically start suggesting other related ones that you can check out... :) It's nice because they always have the books reviewed and rated.