Goodbye Jesus

A Catholic's Challenge To Atheists/ex-Christians

ficino

What has made me somewhat angry, suspicious and sad is the Catholic Church's refusal to allow universal access to the wealth of documents it holds in the Vatican library and archives.  Millions of pages of ancient documents are there and I do not have access to them.

Think of the wealth of information that could be provided to the world if the Catholic Church were simply to say, "Here, we have made digital images of every page in our possession and you can access all of them on this website  Enjoy!"

• Like 1

What has made me somewhat angry, suspicious and sad is the Catholic Church's refusal to allow universal access to the wealth of documents it holds in the Vatican library and archives.  Millions of pages of ancient documents are there and I do not have access to them.

Think of the wealth of information that could be provided to the world if the Catholic Church were simply to say, "Here, we have made digital images of every page in our possession and you can access all of them on this website  Enjoy!"

Because then they couldn't brainwash the millions if ALL the truth was out about these documents. They are hoarding these documents for reasons other than historical purposes.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, the Vatican Library has now digitized many manuscripts of ancient texts. I don't know about documents from the Archive.

This guy is a former evangelical, then Anglican, now a Catholic priest.  He argues that Protestant fundamentalism has become identified -- wrongly -- with all of Christianity in the eyes of the liberal media, atheists, and others who reject the faith.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/how-protestant-fundamentalism-destroys-christianity

He says that he never sees articles debunking Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy.  If there is anything, he says, it's perhaps something about priests abusing children.  So he thinks Catholicism stands essentially unexplored and unrefuted by many who have rejected Protestant fundamentalism.

As an ex-fundy and later ex-Catholic, I can understand both where he's coming from and where he has not yet gone.  But does anyone else have a view?  Fr. Longenecker sounds pretty confident.

Catholicism? That's that liberal Christianity, right?

For what it's worth, the Vatican Library has now digitized many manuscripts of ancient texts. I don't know about documents from the Archive.

That's good.