Goodbye Jesus

Do You Have A Safety Plan If You Get Discovered?

TheBluegrassSkeptic

What an excellent blog and thread.  Thanks Zomberina :)

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Zomberina is really smart, for a girl. zDuivel7.gif

Thanks Z! That article is excellent and i am sure that if anyone in this situation takes the advice of the article it is bound to save some major headaches and might make it a non problem.

I am fortunate to be a fully responsible for myself fiananclly if the trouble should ever arise but it also helps you to prepare emotionally. You never know how the closest people in your life is going to react once this information reaches them.

Once again great article and excellent writing style.

• Like 1

Great post!

• Like 1

Zomberina is really smart, for a girl. zDuivel7.gif

Shush, I'm a smart ass. Period.

• Like 1

I hope it helps anyone that needs ideas on where to begin the process of getting out. It is a scary prospect sometimes.

Bump! Can this be pinned?

Bump! Can this be pinned?

Done! Excellent for the Ex-c newcomers. Thanks zomb...awesome job!!

8db02790ad2cfb19ad0df922935beb3c26486963

I'm being a touch of a smart-arse, but if worse comes to worse, I'll just hold the line.

• Like 2

Thought I'd suggest a book that gave me a lot of courage to come out to my family and friends, which expands on some of your points in the linked thread:

"Mom, Dad, I'm an Atheist: The Guide to Coming Out as a Non-Believer" by David McAfee.  You can order it on Amazon or download the Kindle version for just a few bucks.

• Like 1

Lot of really good info here.

Don't forget to use incognito or in-private browsing mode when viewing sites like this one.

Also read as much as you can about gays and lesbians who have come out, and read up on Muslim apostates. The day will come, I think, when the Christian evangelical and the Muslim extremist will no longer fight with each other but create quite the unholy alliance. I mean, we sort of have, with Saudi Arabia and such, but I mean acceptance into each other's fold against the common enemy -- us.

Coming out at any age has different challenges -- divorces, loss of parental rights in some jurisdictions, etc. But for the young and not yet self-supporting I'm convinced it's got to be very difficult.

Read some Dale McGowen also, he's secular but tries to explain the secular mindset to religious people, and tries to explain what it is the religious are really after. Much of this was news to me, although looking back I see it all pretty plainly now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. I'll just deal with it. My parents and probably most everyone in church know, but they haven't thrown a fit in recent years. Eh.

• Like 1

The fact that anyone would think they need a safety plan says a lot about Christianity,........and what it says ain't good. That noted, I understand why someone would be concerned about leaving their faith. Them loving, merciful, grace filled Christians, like the God they worship, have a nasty streak in them too. They tend to be mean & vindictive a-holes when their "beliefs" are challenged or when one of their sheep leave the fold.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Monotheistic systems are faith systems of empire, and no empire wishes to lose subjects. Paul wrote about being a slave often. As a Christian I could relate to the passage about vessels for noble use and vessels for common ( or dishonorable, depending on whose translation you read) use. And I felt always like the latter.

Human beings are collateral for God's contest, and are the lien on the loan known as free will, which makes the abuse victim's abuse a viable stock in trade for the deity's currency in free will and "voluntary" subjugation.

Remember, when someone is robbed at gunpoint, they chose to commit suicide rather than hand over their money. Just like nonbelievers choose to go to Hell.

I've certainly learned a lot getting to know a few anonymous ex-Muslims trying to break out of their religion. It's easy to see their situation as far graver than ours. They can, after all, be stoned to death or beheaded, just the perfect orgy of perversion the gods must enjoy if they existed at all. But one of these guys messaged me once and said something like, "You know, Leo, I don't know what it must be like being constantly tested for right belief. When I faked it as a Muslim all I had to do was go to public prayers and recite what I had to." And that's just it: with Christianity, it's all this Orwellian thought policing. the "questions" about "what you think" of various things, just to see how quickly you respond with the right responses. And if you're off, or if you're slow to be properly morally upset / play the victim or properly indignant, you are a suspect character.

So yes, I'd advocate anyone still having to play in that pool to be very circumspect in your doings. Empires fear treason, and they fear loss of capital. Capital in this case may not be money: it's the humans for collateral, the human shields for causes, the numbers at the ballot box, the human children as merit marks for the parents. I cannot believe to this day the types of oppressive actions my own Wife faced by fellow moms. The home schooling kind are, of course, first class and have the box seats in the arena. But second to that, who lets their kid do what, and so forth. I used to wish often that Her opponents in this struggle for dominance were males, so that I could make a proper defense of Her.

• Like 1