Goodbye Jesus

Block Block Block

1AcceptingAThiest1

Soo I was wondering if there something wrong with me. No matter how hard I try I can't STOP believing? Am I brainwashed? Idk if that's possible because I came to Christianity on my own not a preacher or church or even a bible.

Am I deceived? I don't think so i had no teacher or mentor for christianity so no one taught me but myself.

So idk. Just because i heard about chrisanity as a kid doesnt mean it influenced my decision 20years later.

Just like you can be surrounded by dudes and male oriented activities and shows and movies etc and all ur life from a baby and still grow up not wanting NOTHING to so with that.

I always been the type to question everything. So what's wrong???? Why can't I become atheist?

I'm blind and I'm stupid? Im not open? I'm not a critical thinker?

I am not blind and I'm not stupid and I'm open to listen to anything or change my mind and I am skeptical of many things

So whats the problem?

Nothing's wrong with you. You just believe.

It's fruitless to try to stop believing something. Either you really believe it or you don't. I never wanted to stop being a Christian, but one day I realized that I wasn't anymore. This happened despite all of my best attempts to continue believing. I had been a Christian for my whole life. It was all I had ever known. When I started studying science, I gradually came to a point where I had to discard some of my superfluous beliefs (age of the earth, etc). This happened against my will. Very slowly, other beliefs began to fall away. Yet I clung to my faith. I began to see that the arguments all fail. One at a time, every single reason that I had to believe was stripped away. But I still believed. Then, one day I realized that there was nothing left: the only reason I was still a Christian was because I had always been one. I only believed because I had been told it was true; there was no other reason. That's not a good reason to believe anything. It was only a half step from there to the realization that I didn't actually believe anymore.

My advice is to stop trying to believe or not believe. Look into the evidence and the arguments, and try to evaluate them honestly. Then draw the conclusion that you have to.

If I may ask a question, why do you believe? What reason do you have?

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
I'm not a critical thinker?

Not in this specific area at least.

Why can't I become atheist?

Atheism isn't a goal. It's a conclusion reached after finding no evidence for gods. If you have evidence, please present it. I could change my mind, but remember that atheists have a higher standard of evidence than believers who find their evidence in emotion and confirmation bias.

Soo I was wondering if there something wrong with me. No matter how hard I try I can't STOP believing? Am I brainwashed? Idk if that's possible because I came to Christianity on my own not a preacher or church or even a bible.

Am I deceived? I don't think so i had no teacher or mentor for christianity so no one taught me but myself.

So idk. Just because i heard about chrisanity as a kid doesnt mean it influenced my decision 20years later.

Just like you can be surrounded by dudes and male oriented activities and shows and movies etc and all ur life from a baby and still grow up not wanting NOTHING to so with that.

I always been the type to question everything. So what's wrong???? Why can't I become atheist?

I'm blind and I'm stupid? Im not open? I'm not a critical thinker?

I am not blind and I'm not stupid and I'm open to listen to anything or change my mind and I am skeptical of many things

So whats the problem?

I had no idea you wanted to deconvert.  You were not born with Christian ideas.  They had to reach you from somewhere.  I find it much more likely that you have blocked or even lost the memory of your indoctrination.  Most people can't remember all of their childhood, especially the bits that didn't seem important at the time. Anyway, becoming an ex-Christian is about losing your faith.  The way you lose your faith is to overcome the emotional hooks that Christianity uses to control your thinking.  It's not something that we have direct control over.  

• Like 2

As has been said above.. believing or not believing is not the goal. The goal, from what I've come to see, is to pursue truth. Whether that ends up with you still believing or not… who knows? 

Gain knowledge… read, read, read.. and be critical of what you read. Just because something is written down doesn't make it true. Consider the source. I always ask myself this, "what does this person have to gain by writing this?", "do they have any legitimate credentials", "What do their peers say?", when I read something someone wrote. Learn about confirmation bias.

Be honest with yourself about your fears, hopes, wishes and dreams. Tough - but it can be done.

It's been said many times here on this site but I think I will emphasize it.. we didn't intend to become non-believers, it was a byproduct of following a desire for truth.

For me it was deeply studying the Bible… without the 'interpretations' from other believers, just on my own… and my curiosity about history and mythology that led me to where I am today. When it became apparent that historically - most of it just did NOT happen - then I had to look deeper. I didn't just wake up one day and realize I was an non-believer, it's been a slow and sometimes painful journey. My path led me through several different 'level' of belief too.

Just follow the evidence, and realize that FEELINGS are not evidence, they are reactions.

• Like 3

Hmm interesting guys thanks

Never once tho have I believes something just because I was tops. A statement isn't true just because you stated it. I held that philosophy today and then.

I believe in God because if his consistency and reliability in my personal life.

Like your *trusted* mom or dad being there for u

Or like relying on a ball to drop to the fllor every time

I have had constant constant constant things that make me believe in God.

That is why I believe I believe based on consistently effectiveness

Hello 1A

I was another one who was not looking to disprove the bible and Christianity in general. Like other said if you read the bible like a book should be read you will find tons off errors historically, just start with adam and eve. I didn't get very far into it when i said" Woah Woah Woah". Where did Cain and Abel get their wives?? That intrigued me as a Christian and i just wanted to know the answer. The more i searched the more questions i found and the "house of cards" started to shake.

Noahs Ark was another big one for me too.

This is a short cartoon but the reality hit me when i seen it. Warning, there is colorful language in it. It isn't very long but it makes a lot of sense.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BzWUuZN5w

You can't become an Atheist because you are 1 of the 144,000 people that god is going to let into heaven.

Lucky you.

• Like 1

When u stick ur hand in an electric socket and get hurt. You don't do it again it.

This I how I feel with Christianity I been shocked with soooo much evidence its mind blowing. Me going back would be irreprehensible I don't even know if that's even a word. Lol.

I read like 100 *Supposed* contradictions of the bible and found out they actually wasn't.

This is what intrigues my search for truth and knowledge.

The biggest barrier between Christians and atheist is this repeated cycle.

Atheist will say we have heaps and mountains of evidence you have none.

The Christian will say no you have NOT a shred of evidence of x or x or x

And the atheist say dude what the %#$%# are u talking about we have so much evidence your head will explode.

Then the atheist says it is actually YOU that doesn't have a shred of evidence.

The Christian present evidence the atheist says that's not evidence. That's like saying this rock is a baby. No its not a baby its a rock. So your evidence is just not evidence.

Then the atheist present his evidence and the Christian says No dude...bro.. That's not evidence!

See the patter here?

Neither side accepts the other sides evidence and then..... Claim that Their standard of evidence is higher and better and more reliable.

Each claiming they exact same thing while both denying the evidence form either side.

Accusing each other that I heir evidence is not even evidence on the first place to began with

Each claiming they have books scientist museums documents and fossils of evidence each claiming the same thing an rejecting the other party.

The pattern can't be broken

For thousands of years it hasn't been

So why would it now?

• Like 1

A1. Present your evidence!

A1 presents evidence

Dude....that's not evidence.

Same ole patter a for centuries.

I have all stock answers and questions u all heard before I'm not special

Nothing I said to u is nothing new so why bother asking lol

When u stick ur hand in an electric socket and get hurt. You don't do it again it.

This I how I feel with Christianity I been shocked with soooo much evidence its mind blowing. Me going back would be rreprehensible I don't even know if that's even a word. Lol.

I read like 100 *Supposed* contradictions of the bible and found out they actually wasn't.

This is what intrigues my search for truth and knowledge.

The biggest barrier between Christians and atheist is this repeated cycle.

Atheist will say we have heaps and mountains of evidence you have none.

The Christian will say no you have NOT a shred of evidence of x or x or x

And the atheist say dude what the %#$%# are u talking about we have so much evidence your head will explode.

Then the atheist says it is actually YOU that doesn't have a shred of evidence.

The Christian present evidence the atheist says that's not evidence. That's like saying this rock is a baby. No its not a baby its a rock. So your evidence is just not evidence.

Then the atheist present his evidence and the Christian says No dude...bro.. That's not evidence!

See the patter here?

Neither side accepts the other sides evidence and then..... Claim that Their standard of evidence is higher and better and more reliable.

Each claiming they exact same thing while both denying the evidence form either side.

Accusing each other that I heir evidence is not even evidence on the first place to began with

Each claiming they have books scientist museums documents and fossils of evidence each claiming the same thing an rejecting the other party.

For thousands of years it hasn't been

So why would it now?

I think the answer to that might be TIME.

I wonder how long it took humans to figure out the earth is a sphere,(Some actually still believe it is flat!!).

You are correct. Both sides are very hard headed when it comes to their beliefs or lack of evidence for belief. Took me almost 30 years to going from being a Christian to where i am today. I use to look at the bible as an absolute truth but now i see it no more important than any other mythological book.

A1 presents evidence

Nope.  Try this instead:

Christians get brainwashed so that they think that real evidence isn't evidence but fallacies are evidence.

Christians then present fallacies as evidence that their religion is true.

Fallacies do not persuade free thinkers

Christians tell themselves that something is wrong with free thinkers.

• Like 5

I believe in God because if his consistency and reliability in my personal life.

Hi A1,

Yes, believers and non-believers have gone back and forth over the evidence, and it can be something of a waste of time to hash over the same arguments.

And while I'm sure your personal experiences of god's "reliability and consistency" would fall into some general categories that have been discussed before, because they are personal they are unique to you, and I would like to hear more of your personal anecdotes. I think it would help you to try to lay out your evidences in black and white, so you can see them, step back and examine them, see if they hold up under scrutiny.

We're not asking, "Why do some people believe in god?" We are asking, "Why do you, A1, believe in god? What are your reasons?" You might ask yourself why you are reluctant to lay out your personal reasons for belief here for us. (Especially since the writer of I Peter instructs believers to "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.") Is it really because you think this line of inquiry is fruitless? Or is it rather because you know deep down that the "evidence" for god is vanishingly small?

Sure it can.  One side uses fallacies.  The other doesn't.  Anybody can learn logic provided you are not afraid of the religious consequences.  Once you know the difference between a valid argument and a fallacy you will see one side had no evidence and the other side has all the evidence.  But you can't get there if the fallacy side scares you too much.

Here is a hint:  Scientists are not demanding 10% of your income.  

• Like 1

Sure it can.  One side uses fallacies.  The other doesn't.  Anybody can learn logic provided you are not afraid of the religious consequences.  Once you know the difference between a valid argument and a fallacy you will see one side had no evidence and the other side has all the evidence.  But you can't get there if the fallacy side scares you too much.

Here is a hint:  Scientists are not demanding 10% of your income.

So sassy, mymistake. I'm really loving the sass these days lol.

So sassy, mymistake. I'm really loving the sass these days lol.

And I always love the energy you bring with your posts.  I envy how you have come so far, so soon.  Keep it up!

• Like 1

A1, I also used to think that there was evidence for God in my life. But then one day I asked myself (and I mean really asked myself) if I had had a single experience which could not be explained without resorting to Christianity. When I was honest with myself, I realized that I had not. I would suggest that you ask yourself a similar question.

Sure, there are probably lots of things that can be attributed to God, but is there anything which specifically and explicitly requires Him? If so, then please share it. If not, then you don't really have any evidence, just faith. It's as simple as that.

A1 presents evidence

If you won't accept our standards of evidence A1, that's your problem - not ours.

A1, you believe because you haven't looked at the evidence for God existing. When you realize there is no evidence, you will stop believing in the myth. When you stop believing in the myth is when you will find "god".

A1 imagine for a minute that you were born 4500 years ago in the city of Ur.

When you are awake you see no direct evidence of the gods.  Yet everyone you know had taught you ever since your childhood to believe in the twelve main gods.  They all believe in the twelve gods.  And the priests bring crops from the ground which prevents the whole city from starving.  And the old scriptures tell of the gods.  And when you look for it coincidences happen in your life after you pray to the gods so you can see the hands of the gods in your own life.  Yet when you sleep you experience the dream world for yourself so you know the gods speak to you.

Does this evidence mean that the Sumerian gods were real?

Anu, Enlil, Enki, Ereshkiga, Inanna, Nammu, Ninhusag, Nanna, Ningal, Ninlil, Ninuta, Utu

Why won't you believe in these gods today, A1?  The evidence for them is about the same as for the God you believe in.  Why are you an atheist for the Sumerian gods?

• Like 1

You guys are really encouraging I appreciate that.

So I think I need to make a distinction tho......

First off people have different standard of evidence so then who's evidence am I suppose to satisfy in the amongst of 15people here? Are y'all saying you all are Exactly the same? Of course not.

Why is it that the same evidence is interpreted differently by a prosecutor and defense attorney.

The exact same evidence leading to two different conclusions... What then?

If I am dead and yet you Dont have evidence of me dead....does that mean I am actually alive then? And not dead???

Look I'm not trying to downplay evidence I'm saying people can look at the same evidence and get different results. There are scientists that are Christian and Biologists and archeologists that are Christian that get different results by looking at the exact same thing.....what then?

Christian or not....one does not enter a high end professional field ad a scientist and be a dumb are that can't think or do research.... Clearly they know how to Read use match and examnine evidence

Are u saying every last scientist that is Christian is incapable as a non Christian?

Bigotry much?

If I lived with a god or stories of a god 4500 years ago and things that were similar happened and I automatically attributed all coincidence tosaid God that would be confirmation bias.

But when every day news across the world events come true on a consistent and reliable basis that's more than coincidence. Eventually coincidence becomes a weak argument

If I lived with a god or stories of a god 4500 years ago and things that were similar happened and I automatically attributed all coincidence tosaid God that would be confirmation bias.

But when every day news across the world events come true on a consistent and reliable basis that's more than coincidence. Eventually coincidence becomes a weak argument