Goodbye Jesus

Faith Mind Vs. Fact Mind

mymistake

Okay I know this is an opinion piece but it was written by an anthropology professor from Sanford and the thing she describes is something I observe (to my own extreme annoyance) in the real world.  I have too many family members who act like they are running on their religious mind set.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/19/opinion/sunday/t-m-luhrmann-faith-vs-facts.html?_r=1

And yet a broad group of scholars is beginning to demonstrate that religious belief and factual belief are indeed different kinds of mental creatures. People process evidence differently when they think with a factual mind-set rather than with a religious mind-set. Even what they count as evidence is different. And they are motivated differently, based on what they conclude. On what grounds do scholars make such claims?

Anyway food for thought . . . 

If true, this doesn't bode well for the future of the human race...

...which will require coordinated simultaneous international action on many global issues to ensure that future.

If too many people are incapable of understanding the facts underpinning these issues - then we are finished.

It's even possible that some religiously-minded people will welcome this end and do all they can to bring it about!

I've long suspected that superstition, religion and irrational beliefs will be the death of the human race.

Man, I'd hate to right!  sad.png

From the article:

[...] The danger point seems to be when people feel themselves to be completely fused with a group defined by its sacred value. [...]

One way or another this shit always leads to tribalism doesn't it?

BAA, methinks that there's a chance to get rid of this shit for good... but only if humanity as a whole realizes that it's indeed a battle of mindsets, and one mindset cannot be tolerated any longer in this modern world where the wrong kind of belief, shielded by willful denial of reality, can very well destroy our entire civilization and even worse.

It's making them realize this that'll be the hardest part.

You'll never get humanity as 'whole', Thuriasz.

Some folks don't want to realize anything.

They'd rather die (and take everyone else with them) than give up on their religious beliefs.

Like a suicide bomber holding a dead-man's switch.

Negotiation is impossible and taking them out only sets the bomb off.

:(

Aye it's sickening.