Goodbye Jesus

When Old Habits Pop Up

LukeExChristian

I play Magic: The Gathering, a trading card game. I was at a tournament last friday with some friends I play with a lot. In conversation, I hear about a guy who made it far in a large tournament at a convention. And it turned out he had been cheating.

My first reaction to it made me feel kinda off... worse than I should have felt. I realized that during my indoctrinated upbringing, breaking social rules like lying, cheating, gossiping, or otherwise doing anything frowned upon had more than negative consequences... they infringed on devinly inspired law. The angels in heaven shutter at your actions.

This led to me worrying about other's decisions too much becuase they did not realize the supernatural repercussions! Can anyone relate?

I play Magic: The Gathering, a trading card game. I was at a tournament last friday with some friends I play with a lot. In conversation, I hear about a guy who made it far in a large tournament at a convention. And it turned out he had been cheating.

My first reaction to it made me feel kinda off... worse than I should have felt. I realized that during my indoctrinated upbringing, breaking social rules like lying, cheating, gossiping, or otherwise doing anything frowned upon had more than negative consequences... they infringed on devinly inspired law. The angels in heaven shutter at your actions.

This led to me worrying about other's decisions too much becuase they did not realize the supernatural repercussions! Can anyone relate?

Magic: the Gathering?  My old fear was that touching something so evil would invite demons into your life.  

Good thing I don't believe in demons anymore.  Oh . . .  and cheaters suck unless it's a one player game.

• Like 1

Well to be honest lying, cheating and gossiping are not very becoming qualities and I would think less of a person who embodied them. While it's not pissing off any angels, it's not surprising that, as a fellow human being, you were turned off. And I don't think that's a bad thing. Now we can worry less...because they won't be roasting in hell, they'll just be making this world a little more unpleasant.

Cussing used to bother me a lot, especially if someone used a particularly blasphemous cuss word/phrase, like "cunt of christ". Like, didn't they know what amazing things they were blaspheming?

Well, my own vocabulary now has cuss words. I'd still not feel natural about saying "cunt of christ" but I don't worry about others using it anymore.

Back in the early 1980's one of my friends had a bunch of hard cover Dungeons and Dragons books. He brought them over and we would play. After he left my mom said that those books are bad and i shouldn't play that game, lol. After that every time i have seen my friend with his books i was worried he was going to "burn in hell" for worship of "insert reason here".

I totally understand what you mean by still having that thought in the back of your head when you see someone doing something "evil". Took me years to shake the hardcore thought of it but still have a slight twinge every now and again. I shake it off pretty fast though.

Edit: spelling correction

Back in the early 1980's one of my friends had a bunch of hard cover Dungeons and Dragons books. He brought them over and we would play. After he left my mom said that those books are bad and i shouldn't play that game, lol. After that every time i have seen my friend with his books i was worried he was going to "burn in hell" for worship of "insert reason here".

I totally understand what you mean by still having that thought in the back of you head when you see someone doing something "evil". Took me years to shake the hardcore thought of it but still have a slight twinge every now and again. I shake it off pretty fast though.

I occasionally play both Magic: the Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons. I ran into this same sort of irrational gag reflex from my mother when she found me with one of those books of witchcraft. Naturally, I lied and said it was from the public library and that I'd return it. (This was impossible, since the head librarian at the time was just as misinformed about D&D.) Until I was out on my own, I just hid my interests better.

But on topic. Cheating in a competition is certainly bad form. You don't need a god to tell you that. But yes, that indoctrinated gag reflex can linger for quite some time. Whenever you have that sort of reflex reaction, try to catch yourself and ask why you feel that way. Give your rationality every opportunity to overrule indoctrination. Eventually, it will become your new reflex.

• Like 1

I used to think that God cared about the bad things we did on a day to day basis. So someone cheating is not just pissing off the other players, but God himself is offended by this. And someday there would be some divine retribution of some sort. So when I hear about people doing something bad, I would think about how strange it is they aren't worried about god at all.

I remember a girl explaining to me that I was stupid because I paid for my drinks in the honor system drink fridge at camp. You get a drink and put money in a can. She said the can amount always comes up short and nobody knows who isn't paying so it's stupid to pay. She volunteered that she never pays. I said, "That's stealing and they'll just take the sodas away if people keep doing that. Plus I don't want to anger God over a can of Coke." She didn't have a response to this.

The honor system drinks did go away, but I guess god never gave a crap since he wasn't really there to begin with.

• Like 1