Goodbye Jesus

Bono Talks Jesus

ironhorse

I think he's said that he's Baptist, which of course doesn't tell us much more about his beliefs than "xian" supposedly does.

I think he's said that he's Baptist, which of course doesn't tell us much more about his beliefs than "xian" supposedly does.

Ironhorse is extremely 'careful' about how he words his posts and what information he discloses, FTNZ.

He also never, ever responds to any requests to say why he believes X, Y or Z.

All he says is what he believes, not why he believes it.

Smell something?

• Like 4

Ironhorse is extremely 'careful' about how he words his posts and what information he discloses, FTNZ.

He also never, ever responds to any requests to say why he believes X, Y or Z.

All he says is what he believes, not why he believes it.

Smell something?

Yes. 

Guest Furball

I thought someone, maybe him, mentioned he was catholic. I could be wrong. 

Hey CoolCat!  What about this angle?

Why don't we treat Ironhorse as a catholic from now on? 

If he isn't one and doesn't want us to think he is, that might prompt him to break his radio silence and say that he isn't. 

Ok, on the flip side, he may not actually say what he is. Only what he isn't.  But if we keep this tactic going and treat him as a Seventh Day Adventist or a Methodist or a Christian Scientist (and so on) then eventually, by a process of elimination, we'll discover what kind of Christian he really is.

So how many Christian denominations, cults and sects are there for us to get thru?  25,000?  30,000?  40,000?

Alright...it'll just take some time.  But if we persist, we might get to find out what kind of Christian Ironhorse is by the turn of the century. 

Unless, of course, he tells us himself?

Wendyshrug.gif

Hey CoolCat!  What about this angle?

Why don't we treat Ironhorse as a catholic from now on? 

If he isn't one and doesn't want us to think he is, that might prompt him to break his radio silence and say that he isn't. 

Ok, on the flip side, he may not actually say what he is. Only what he isn't.  But if we keep this tactic going and treat him as a Seventh Day Adventist or a Methodist or a Christian Scientist (and so on) then eventually, by a process of elimination, we'll discover what kind of Christian he really is.

So how many Christian denominations, cults and sects are there for us to get thru?  25,000?  30,000?  40,000?

Alright...it'll just take some time.  But if we persist, we might get to find out what kind of Christian Ironhorse is by the turn of the century. 

Unless, of course, he tells us himself?

Wendyshrug.gif

That never seemed to work for Thumby.

Christians can be very deceptive when they put their mind to it.

It starts with self deception.

Remember those days pre-deconversion?

Sad days

Not a problem, MM.

Part of the fun of being a Lion is exposing the deceit of 'resident' Christians like Ironhorse.

Doing so has other benefits too.  The lurkers get to see his deceit as well.

Which, if you think about it for a moment... is an excellent argument for Ironhorse NOT being a "true" Christian.   

After all, if he were a "true" Christian he'd never behave in such a deceitful way in front of other Christians, would he?

Wendyshrug.gif

IIRC, Ironhorse has stated on this forum that he disagrees with some of the religious dogma and tenets of the church he attends.  I've concluded that Ironhorse's religion has one member - Ironhorse.  That's a bit tounge-in-cheek, but his frequent use of the No Scotsman Fallacy to criticize other professed Christians and to promote himself as a True Christian™ supports this conclusion.

• Like 2

Guest Furball

Concerning CoolCats comments:

-From what I have read on Bono he is sure of his faith.

-I was not expecting his celebrity to magically convert. I know many U2 fans who are not Christian.

Thank you for answering my questions. It does seem in that article though, that bono isn't so sure of his salvation. He might be secure in his faith,but per the article, it does seem like if there is a judgement day that he hopes to make the cut. I was not aware that christians were allowed to listen to secular music. When i was a christian, i told another christian that i listened to p.o.d. and creed because i thought they were christian bands, but was immediately told they were christian in name only, but were actually secular music that was forbidden. I dunno, it's all beyond me now so.... -Cat

What does he say about politics so I'll know how to vote?

• Like 1

Guest Furball

He'd probably tell you to vote republican, or which ever bush is next in line. sad.png

He'd probably tell you to vote republican, or which ever bush is next in line. sad.png

Bono or Ironhorse is going to tell Jeff how to vote?

I hope you mean Ironhorse, Mister "Cool Cat"!   Bono doesn't hate anybody except haters, and he even has an eye problem besides.

I hope you mean Ironhorse, Mister "Cool Cat"!   Bono doesn't hate anybody except haters, and he even has an eye problem besides.

Bono still hasnt found what he's looking for....due to the glaucoma.

• Like 1

Bono's guitar player, The Edge, also has impairments. He can't perform onstage without a stocking cap on, and he was born with an acute delay pedal where his guitar should be. Yet somehow they soldier on just like Jesus and the Apostles, because God is love.

The more I learn of Ironhorse's theology, the more it makes sense, unless I'm sober. Or awake. Or breathing. 

• Like 5

Worse than that even. His delays have delays... Poor man.

If he hits a bad note it can go on forever.

Think of the stress!

• Like 1

Christianity foists itself upon people who don't want it. 

U2 foists their shitty music upon iPhone users who dont want it. 

Similar.

• Like 4

Bono still hasnt found what he's looking for....due to the glaucoma.

Hahahaha.. I saw what you did there!  :D

Bono's only god is himself

• Like 2

Bono's only god is himself

It's only because he's blind and cannot see.   I predict that his popularity will wane, because he just can't commit to Jesus.

Then, once he does, he will sing many songs of praise.  The poor blind bastard. I wish Jesus was here right now to spit in his eyes and mix it with mud make them whole.

:D  You are a kind and loving person dude

Bono talks - always a painful thing.

How many members of U2 does it take to screw in a light bulb?  One - Bono holds the bulb and the world revolves around him.

• Like 2

If interested there's a lot more you can read on Bono and his faith. Several videos on YouTube.

A couple of quotes from his Irish band mates:

“People seem to think Christians are incredibly pious, arrogant, superior individuals, but that’s not true at all – I’m a very normal, very real person.”

~The Edge

“I am a Christian and not ashamed of that.

~Larry Mullen

Concerning a few comments about me:

I have never voted for any presidential candidate with the last name of Bush, Clinton or Obama. I consider myself an Independent and lean towards a Constitutional based libertarian view of government.

I am a member of a Baptist church. Currently I’m working on a thread creatively titled “Why I am a Member of a Baptist Church” and will post it soon.