Goodbye Jesus

Bono Talks Jesus

ironhorse

If interested there's a lot more you can read on Bono and his faith.

Why would we care about Bono's delusion?

But kudos to you for identifying yourself as a Baptist.  We like to understand where you are coming from.

I've just PMed Duderonomy's and my questions to Ironhorse. (See # 22 and 25)

According to the Bible he has a responsibility to answer them.

Let's see what's more important to him.

Doing what God's word tells him or doing what he wants and ignoring his responsibilities to God and to us. 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

I've just PMed Duderonomy's and my questions to Ironhorse. (See # 22 and 25)

According to the Bible he has a responsibility to answer them.

Let's see what's more important to him.

Doing what God's word tells him or doing what he wants and ignoring his responsibilities to God and to us. 

I admit I haven't been around for a while, but surely you're not suggesting that TinPony is going to fulfill his scriptural obligations and actually answer any questions... or have things changed in my absence?

I didn't realize that they were already performing again after Bono's God-ordained bicycle accident a while back.

If interested there's a lot more you can read on Bono and his faith. Several videos on YouTube.

A couple of quotes from his Irish band mates:

“People seem to think Christians are incredibly pious, arrogant, superior individuals, but that’s not true at all – I’m a very normal, very real person.”

~The Edge

“I am a Christian and not ashamed of that.

~Larry Mullen

Concerning a few comments about me:

I have never voted for any presidential candidate with the last name of Bush, Clinton or Obama. I consider myself an Independent and lean towards a Constitutional based libertarian view of government.

I am a member of a Baptist church. Currently I’m working on a thread creatively titled “Why I am a Member of a Baptist Church” and will post it soon.

I was part of that religion for 25+ years (not counting when i was a child). http://www.centralfwbchurch.org/

Fire and Brimstone teaching from a southern pastor(Rev.) or whatever you want to label him. My whole family went to that church and only 2 out of 43 of us escaped, my older brother and myself. I never felt comfortable there due to the fact that there was so much gossiping going on about everyone and if all this baloney about God was true that shouldn't have been happening.

I was an 8 year old kid and i seen it then. Pretty sad an 8 year old knows more about politeness than most of the adults that attended. Never returning to church was one of the best decisions i made in my life.

• Like 2

It seems The Edge just fell off the edge of the stage. Part of God's plan, apparently. And no, he still hasn't found what he's looking for.

http://time.com/3860084/u2-edge-falls-off-stage/

He's distracted by all of the persecution he's been getting in California lately. Just look at this!

http://www.latimes.com/local/westside/la-me-edge-malibu-20150515-story.html

or this (esp. paragraph three)

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/10/why_is_u2s_the_edge_so_determined_to_ruin_a_malibu_bluff.php

Yup, the Edge, as Ironhorse quotes him above in #50 is just an normal, very real person. I'm sure his plan is to sell what he has and give it to the poor as soon as his property appreciates in value. What a shrewd Christian he is!

I should also throw in that Ironhorse has us talking seriously about his god U2. Who would have thought? Only the Holy Ghost can impart the kind of evangelical wisdom and zeal Ironhorse is showing here. It's second only to the Sunday Bloody Sunday Dispatch thread he so ably helmed not so long ago.

Long live U2, and may their Glory and Wisdom continue to spread by the dedication of the humble Ironhorse.    

• Like 1

Haha...just cross reading this thread after some months of Lion'sDen break...and it is still as amusing to go through the posts engaging Ironhorse than always.

So everyone bitches about Bono and Ironhorse offers to help with material on him in case anyone would be interested. Is this not quite some narcissist behavior.

Like he is not even reading what people say and then posts something totally unrelated.

I really do wonder Ironhorse if you can't see this? Why do you think anyone was interested in your links (that if anyone was interested, who has internet, which is everyone on this forum, and has a basic knowledge of how to do some research, can find on his own) about Bono when it is obvious that no one who expressed his opinion here is really fond of Bono?

As for me, I don't really care about Bono. I like some of the songs and I think he can wear whatever glasses he wants to and go wherever he likes to and say whatever he says...so what? Does not affect me. All I do care is people who I can engage and who are part of MY life. People I can interact.

Why should I care about words someone says who has a life that is so far away from what most people's lives look like? What value do those words have to me? None. Because I live a very different life and what some "societal almost god" is saying has hardly anything to do with me.

• Super Moderator

Bono's had an on-again, off-again relationship with jesus since the very beginning.  But just because a person of great celebrity believes in something doesn't necessarily make it true.  Bono also believes in feeding the hungry and giving to the poor.  How many christians believe in doing so?

• Like 2

Jesus also expects his followers to give away all they own, follow him and spread the gospel.

Not many christians around, actually.

And for that matter Ravenstar, true Christians like Ironhorse are expected to give an answer when asked for the reasons why they believe.

Duderonomy and I have asked him this several times.

His reply...?

(Crickets)

I've even PMed him the Dude's and my questions.

His response...?

(More crickets)

As if one cricket ain't enough...

Don't worry!  Tinpony will be back on Sunday to share some song lyrics.

I am one of those non believers who really likes U2; and I think Bono is actually a pretty down to earth guy based on interviews I've read back when I used to pay more attention .. Wake Up Dead Man is a pretty swell song.

Nothing wrong with enjoying music.

I use to play "Wake up dead man" when I am really really down. Somehow it has a calming effect on me. And no...it is not the holy spirit. It is just the sound mood combined with that expression of how this world is fucked up and all...and that wish that someone came and got some order into it again.

That said...I still find it disgusting how Ironhorse just blurts out his stuff without really trying to understand people and somehow thinks songtexts will do magic tricks or so.

• Like 1

Waiting for A-1 Steak Sauce's and Tin Pony's promised manifestos.........

We need more entertainment around here.

• Like 2

from...

http://www.muorji.com/U2MoL/Pop/wudm.html

This haunting closer to the album is a prayer, quite obviously calling for the return of Jesus to the world. ("Jesus, Jesus help me") Bono as the speaker feels alone and hopeless in a world he can no longer stand. ("I'm alone in this world / and a fucked up world it is too") He yearns for the reassurance of religion, the gospel, and the sweet eternal life promised by the Bible ("Tell me, tell me the story / the one about eternity / and the way it's all gonna be"). He calls out for the resurrection or return of Christ ("WAKE UP WAKE UP DEAD MAN").

He seems to have been waiting for this for a while, trying his best to trust in the Lord, but his doubts about God/Jesus' capabilities are increasing ("Jesus, I'm waiting here boss / I know you're looking out for us / but maybe your hands aren't free"). He acknowledges God's power and Jesus's spiritual authority and asks for a personal favor from Him ("your Father, He made the world in seven / He's in charge of heaven / will you put a word in for me") and then repeats the fundamental plea of the song: WAKE UP DEAD MAN. These lines begin to increase the oft-discussed "selfish" orientation of the song.

Bono in the third stanza creates a picture of a few things worth hearing in a cacophonic world

("listen to your words ... over the rhythm", "listen to the reed ... over the hum of the radio ... over sounds of blades...", "listen through the traffic and circulation ... as hope and peace try to rhyme ... over marching bands playing out their time"). The words (the Bible's Scriptures) over the rhythm of the world. The reed representing music (one of the principal ways of God) over the hum (static and distortion) and the blades (helicopter blades, representing technology and conquering of the elements) and the traffic's circulation. Hope and peace "try to rhyme" as oompah bands obscure their melding, "playing out their time" blindly without regard for the world. WAKE UP DEAD MAN repeats again.

The fourth stanza expresses more plainly Bono's doubts about the power, or more appropriately, the interest of Jesus in the world's affairs. Clearly he acknowledges His power, but seems to be moving in more of a deist direction, looking at a God that doesn't care and doesn't involve Himself in human affairs ("Jesus, were you just around the corner? / did You think to try and warn her? / or are you working on something new?"). Perhaps this refers to a sudden death or upheaval in Bono's life involving a woman that he feels wasn't fair - that God should have "warned her." He feels instead that God was moving on to other, "new", more interesting projects, and away from his old standby, humanity. He restates his deist doubts ("If there's an order in all of this disorder"), then challenges the nature of time - after all, if God is so powerful, can't he roll time back to sometime more pleasant? ("Is it disorder"), then challenges the nature of time - after all, if God is so powerful, can't he roll time back to sometime more pleasant? ("Is it like a tape recorder? / can we rewind it just once more") He wants to find a better time and place where he can be happy - sometime in the past where he was happy. He finishes the song by repeating the refrain, WAKE UP DEAD MAN.

A prayer from a doubting Thomas, demanding for visible proof of God's love and power. Bono feels wronged by God, that God is apathetic and distant, and he is calling for a direct return of God to Earth such as there was in Jesus' time. He wants a third coming - WAKE UP DEAD MAN.

Bono is calling for the end of the world. He sees the glory and bliss associated with Jesus' final reign as perfection, heaven ("and the way it's all gonna be", "eternity"). This will be his final reunion with the God he fears has abandoned him... he will no longer be "alone in this world."

Of course, the very phrase "the end of the world" conjures a connection with "Until The End Of The World" on Achtung Baby. There, Jesus was killed, but Judas ends the song knowing that Jesus will wait "until the end of the world" for Judas' redemption, to forgive him. This is what Bono wants... that final redemption and forgiveness, in the end of the world.

Ironhorse, whats YOUR point? Did you even read and think about what people where saying here? How about who cares about what Bono actually meant with this song? Or any song? Really, I don't. I put my own meaning to songs.

I would highly recommend you to take a class in how to listen to people and interact with them. You will find conversations to become way more fulfilling if you get where people come from instead of blurting out some monologue about something no one really cares...

Just saying.

• Like 1

Ironhorse (aka Tin Pony aka Pewter Jackass) demonstrates once again that he knows how to cut and paste.  That's an impressive skill.

Nice monolog Ironhorse!

Now try answering the questions put to you in this thread!

He apparently lives through the thoughts and statements of others -- an emotional and intellectual slacker.

• Like 1

Ironhorse, whats YOUR point? Did you even read and think about what people where saying here? How about who cares about what Bono actually meant with this song? Or any song? Really, I don't. I put my own meaning to songs.

I would highly recommend you to take a class in how to listen to people and interact with them. You will find conversations to become way more fulfilling if you get where people come from instead of blurting out some monologue about something no one really cares...

Just saying.

Ironhorse doesn't care what we think.

OK...somehow tried to quote and it went wrong on my phone...editing it the way I wanted to was somehow impossible and now there is this post I can't delete either so I just do this.

Just saying.

Ironhorse doesn't care what we think.

Exactly...that's what shines through since his appearance here on exC...

He doesn't care what we think but expects people to care about "his" words. A true Christian as we know them...

• Like 1