Goodbye Jesus

Bono Talks Jesus

ironhorse

Ironhorse, whats YOUR point? Did you even read and think about what people where saying here? How about who cares about what Bono actually meant with this song? Or any song? Really, I don't. I put my own meaning to songs.

I would highly recommend you to take a class in how to listen to people and interact with them. You will find conversations to become way more fulfilling if you get where people come from instead of blurting out some monologue about something no one really cares...

Just saying.

Indeed, for less than a few bottles of Cheerwine (although I have no idea what that costs) IH could learn some listening skills in the comfort of his own home.  

Course Description
Did you know that there is a difference between hearing and listening? There is! Have you ever been told that you just don't listen? Most people have at some point in their life, so you probably have experienced it as well. But the problem is that good listening skills are not something we are born with. Nor are we taught it in school. They are habits that we create, starting in our childhood, that are carried with us throughout our adulthood. Your listening skill habits can impact every area of your life, including your personal relationships and your career. Being a good listener can earn you respect, appreciation and help you build stronger relationships in your social and business dealings.

https://www.universalclass.com/i/course/listening-skills-101.htm

• Like 1

from...

http://www.muorji.com/U2MoL/Pop/wudm.html

This haunting closer to the album is a prayer, quite obviously calling for the return of Jesus to the world. ("Jesus, Jesus help me") Bono as the speaker feels alone and hopeless in a world he can no longer stand. ("I'm alone in this world / and a fucked up world it is too") He yearns for the reassurance of religion, the gospel, and the sweet eternal life promised by the Bible ("Tell me, tell me the story / the one about eternity / and the way it's all gonna be"). He calls out for the resurrection or return of Christ ("WAKE UP WAKE UP DEAD MAN").

He seems to have been waiting for this for a while, trying his best to trust in the Lord, but his doubts about God/Jesus' capabilities are increasing ("Jesus, I'm waiting here boss / I know you're looking out for us / but maybe your hands aren't free"). He acknowledges God's power and Jesus's spiritual authority and asks for a personal favor from Him ("your Father, He made the world in seven / He's in charge of heaven / will you put a word in for me") and then repeats the fundamental plea of the song: WAKE UP DEAD MAN. These lines begin to increase the oft-discussed "selfish" orientation of the song.

Bono in the third stanza creates a picture of a few things worth hearing in a cacophonic world

("listen to your words ... over the rhythm", "listen to the reed ... over the hum of the radio ... over sounds of blades...", "listen through the traffic and circulation ... as hope and peace try to rhyme ... over marching bands playing out their time"). The words (the Bible's Scriptures) over the rhythm of the world. The reed representing music (one of the principal ways of God) over the hum (static and distortion) and the blades (helicopter blades, representing technology and conquering of the elements) and the traffic's circulation. Hope and peace "try to rhyme" as oompah bands obscure their melding, "playing out their time" blindly without regard for the world. WAKE UP DEAD MAN repeats again.

The fourth stanza expresses more plainly Bono's doubts about the power, or more appropriately, the interest of Jesus in the world's affairs. Clearly he acknowledges His power, but seems to be moving in more of a deist direction, looking at a God that doesn't care and doesn't involve Himself in human affairs ("Jesus, were you just around the corner? / did You think to try and warn her? / or are you working on something new?"). Perhaps this refers to a sudden death or upheaval in Bono's life involving a woman that he feels wasn't fair - that God should have "warned her." He feels instead that God was moving on to other, "new", more interesting projects, and away from his old standby, humanity. He restates his deist doubts ("If there's an order in all of this disorder"), then challenges the nature of time - after all, if God is so powerful, can't he roll time back to sometime more pleasant? ("Is it disorder"), then challenges the nature of time - after all, if God is so powerful, can't he roll time back to sometime more pleasant? ("Is it like a tape recorder? / can we rewind it just once more") He wants to find a better time and place where he can be happy - sometime in the past where he was happy. He finishes the song by repeating the refrain, WAKE UP DEAD MAN.

A prayer from a doubting Thomas, demanding for visible proof of God's love and power. Bono feels wronged by God, that God is apathetic and distant, and he is calling for a direct return of God to Earth such as there was in Jesus' time. He wants a third coming - WAKE UP DEAD MAN.

Bono is calling for the end of the world. He sees the glory and bliss associated with Jesus' final reign as perfection, heaven ("and the way it's all gonna be", "eternity"). This will be his final reunion with the God he fears has abandoned him... he will no longer be "alone in this world."

Of course, the very phrase "the end of the world" conjures a connection with "Until The End Of The World" on Achtung Baby. There, Jesus was killed, but Judas ends the song knowing that Jesus will wait "until the end of the world" for Judas' redemption, to forgive him. This is what Bono wants... that final redemption and forgiveness, in the end of the world.

This post, this kind of crap, is why I can't take Ironhorse seriously. I don't know if he's a poe, a troll, an asshat, a Neo-Christian, or just a person that gets off on attention. Maybe all of those things? 

He's the same as Thumbelina, who, as MyMistake correctly pointed out to me a long time ago, doesn't talk to people but only talks at people.

Unless and until Ironhorse gets real and gets into the mud and the blood and the beer and gets his fingernails dirty like a real Christian should, he's no more to me but a waste of time anymore. This life is so short, and why give him time if he won't give some back? 

I'll keep reading and maybe responding to his stuff if I think it's worth doing so to get it on record for others, but other than that I'm done with him. 

This post, this kind of crap, is why I can't take Ironhorse seriously. I don't know if he's a poe, a troll, an asshat, a Neo-Christian, or just a person that gets off on attention. Maybe all of those things?

He none of these.  He is an indoctrinated and peer pressured Christian who is too lazy and too intellectually dishonest to even realize there is a way out, let alone attempting to find his way out.  He is not worth any time, except to alert lurkers of his paucity and emptiness. 

IMO, Ironhorse is wasting Ex-C's bandwidth on things that aren't even interesting enough to argue about.  I would not be the least bit upset if he were shown the door.

If thy will be perfect, go and sell all ye have and give it to the poor

An easy command to understand and one that Bono will just as easily ignore

Christians, as full of shit today as they were 20 centuries ago  

Did Bono use faith after his bike accident or medical science-the guy is full of it 

• Like 2

This must be a dream.

Someone is *seriously* trying to use *lyrics from a pop song* (one with a pretty hefty swear in it, too... Yet I hear not a single complaint from the pews) to make some form of theological point?

Well, then, if we can pull from pop culture...

Have you heard of our Lord and Destroyer, Alduin the World-Eater?

Bono: That’s between me and God. But I’d be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge. I’d be in deep s—. It doesn’t excuse my mistakes, but I’m holding out for Grace. I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don’t have to depend on my own religiosity.

I can relate. When i was a christian, i never felt saved. I just hoped that in the end i would be forgiven and allowed into heaven by grace, and not my religious walk. I remember how heart breaking it was to realize that if god did exist, that he didn't want me.

I have a theory that no christians really feel saved. unfortunately if true, none would admit it.

• Like 1

Boys and Girls,

Let's not forget that sermons are permitted in the Den.

And what is a sermon, if not a monolog?  So IH can quite rightly point to the Den rules and guidelines and say that he's permitted to sermonize, to ignore all of our questions and not to engage in any dialog whatsoever.  However, IH's permission to sermonize is qualified with the words, "...more-or-less tolerated".  Some pertinent questions would then seem to be...

"Whose tolerance does that refer to?"

"Has IH done anything to exceed that tolerance?"

"If so, what happens next?"

"Can IH have his one-way monologs/sermons locked for exceeding the aforementioned tolerance?"

"Can he be asked to engage with us if he doesn't wish to?"

Thanks,

BAA.

Good points BAA.  I think first we should establish what is a sermon vs. what is a series of SPAM-ish posts about a rock star.