Goodbye Jesus

Please Help

1AcceptingAThiest1

Please just read the statement (I trust my partner Maureen) and answer the question (Why should you trust her too?).

I've told you that I trust her and now I'm asking you to give me a reason why you should trust her too.

Please just answer that question.

Thanks,

BAA.

I did

1 my reason for trusting her would because YOU DO and and I trust you so I trust her

2 I could trust her even if I Dont know her if I trust humanity unless they break my trust. Like being innocent until proven guilty.

3. I could NOT trust her if I go by...*Oh I don't know her so I can't trust someone I don't know*

Your question is extremly vague so ibfilled in the blanks. Y'all taught me to be a critical thinker so now that's what happens

Forget it, A1.  WendyDoh.gif

To be fair, BAA, I don't get where you are going with that question either. I think A1 did alright answering, all things considered (unless I'm just having an extra dense moment).

While I'm here, A1, can you name a specific current event or two that you think fulfills Biblical prophesy?

A1, here's another great site on End Times predictions. Religious fanatics have been predicting the end of the world for thousands of years, and they always have been and always will be 100% WRONG!

http://alma-geddon.com/

Also, Christian apologists have made careers out of being wrong about end of the world scenarios. It's great entertainment for Christians, but it's always 100% WRONG. Two Christian authors who come to mind immediately are Hal Lindsey and John Hagee. 

While I'm here, A1, can you name a specific current event or two that you think fulfills Biblical prophesy?

The problem is one...isn't enough time takes 1000s so I'm thinking about doing a series like every Saturday or every other Saturday.

I'm not focusing on prophecies that cane true....with is untypical.

I'm focusing on a bigger picture things that could happen not the ones that have happened.

Secret stuff then government doesn't want us looking into.

Yup wow thanks for the tip I think I may start a series next month. This month I'm moving so a lot going on.

But yea I will post 95% NON biblical sources

A1, here's another great site on End Times predictions. Religious fanatics have been predicting the end of the world for thousands of years, and they always have been and always will be 100% WRONG!

Also, Christian apologists have made careers out of being wrong about end of the world scenarios. It's great entertainment for Christians, but it's always 100% WRONG. Two Christian authors who come to mind immediately are Hal Lindsey and John Hagee.

I Dont focus on prophecies in the spiritual sense.

I focus on current events and based on reasonable certainty if its less or more likely to happen.

I focus on what could happen based on evidence verus what supposedly already happen that's already been contested.

Again duderonomy gave me an idea so I can start a series that way you can see my NON Christian sources to back up what I'm saying

I Dont focus on prophecies in the spiritual sense.

I focus on current events and based on reasonable certainty if its less or more likely to happen.

I focus on what could happen based on evidence verus what supposedly already happen that's already been contested.

Again duderonomy gave me an idea so I can start a series that way you can see my NON Christian sources to back up what I'm saying

I'm interested, but I seriously doubt that you will convince me that the Bible is true in any sense. Again, Christians have been trying for 2000 years now to match up their current events with Bible prophecies. They always have been and always will be wrong. The Bible does not address our current age, and it doesn't address any age other than the times in which it was written. And, there is no such thing as fulfilled prophesy. All "prophecies" are either 100% wrong (the Bible contains many examples of false/failed prophecies), or they have been written after the fact to make them appear to uncritical readers to be true. 

It really doesn't matter whether your sources are Christian or not. It's still a fact that religious end of the world scenarios always have been and always will be wrong. 

I'm curious to know which of our current events you think matches up with biblical prophecies, but I can assure you with 100% certainty that they don't. I used to struggle with this issue too, so I can empathize with you. As recently as 2004, I returned to faith briefly out of fear because I was convinced that world events really were signaling that the End Times were very near. I know better now. I did some writing about my thoughts and fears at that time which I still have somewhere. Shouldn't be too difficult for me to find. I'd be happy to share it if you'd like.

A1, I found my old writing from 2004. Needless to say, my thinking has changed a great deal since that time, and I no longer suffer from any religious fears, including End Times fears/scenarios.

The following thoughts are taken from a letter that I wrote to a friend in the days leading up to my reconversion to Christianity.

Let's see, on the religion thing. I've been giving it a lot of thought lately on the "maybe I might go back to it" side. I know a LOT about the Bible and Christianity (much more than most average Christians), but I've changed over the last several months, and so have my views on religion. I'm just not angry any longer. Oh, I'm still angered by and appalled at the ignorance and blatant dishonesty of so many Christian apologists and at the lack of Christlikeness of so many "Christians", but as strange as it may seem and as surprising as it is even to me, I am beginning to feel that Christianity makes more sense than I have given it credit for in a long time. There are a lot of issues for me to sort out. I am certain I could never be a Fundie again. I know too much, but I wonder how many Fundies know that their own movement is only about a century old? Christians of the past, at least to my knowledge, didn't make absurd claims about the Bible like that "inerrancy" nonsense. I've given this a great deal of thought, and to do it I have had to put aside my feelings about the rude letters I continue to get from "Christians" who visit my site, since I know that most average church-going folks are generally very nice, caring, decent people, and not like the "Christians" that I encounter on the Net. I can only speak for myself, but for me, Atheism was strongly tied to ANGER. As my anger has disappeared, so has my Atheism and even my Agnosticism. I KNOW that there is a God. I think I have always known, and I have always been a very religious and spiritual person, although I have denied that part of myself for a long time in favor of being the "educated skeptic" at war with the Christian faith. I'm trying to make a very long story reasonably short here, but the bottom line is that I have been experiencing "cognitive dissonance" about Christianity for a long time. Here are some of those thoughts that are leading me to belief again:

1. The universe - "creation" itself. Nature, to me, just screams DESIGN. GOD. So does my mirror every time I look into it! I think about the human brain and the heart and the liver and all of our organs, and I ask myself "Can I really honestly believe that these are the product of millions of years of blind, godless evolution?" And, while I don't dispute evolution itself (although I know the theory has problems and isn't perfect), I can't see that as a reasonable belief. Science says that the universe came about with a "Big Bang", which is what the Bible describes - creation "ex nihilo". When I have asked atheists why they believe that a creation does not point to a Creator, the best they can do is to play semantic games and claim that creation should not be called "creation" (since that inconveniently points to a god).

2. The nature of mankind. Most people like to think that mankind's nature is basically good, and I've believed that myself for a long time, but the more I take a hard look at the world and the condition it is in and the evil that takes place in it in countless forms, the less I can subscribe to the "man is basically good" viewpoint. It seems plain to me that mankind's nature is basically selfish and evil, which is again exactly what the Bible claims it is. I think the biblical writers got this one right.

3. Prophecy. I've run into several undeniably fulfilled prophecies - important ones - and that is making me take a very hard "second look" at the Bible. I hardly think it's "inerrant", but I am thinking it could contain God's message to mankind. Men wrote it, but God inspired the overall spiritual message, which is consistent throughout the text. In addition, "End Times" events are happening EXACTLY as prophesied. That's bothered me for a long time. If the Bible isn't true, then why are world events happening exactly as it foretells? Israel exists as a nation again (in direct fulfillment of prophecy) and the Jews are returning to their homeland. Jerusalem has the world's attention. Israel has gone from being a "wasteland" to being a fertile land (again in direct fulfillment of prophecy). The EU fits the bill for the "revived Roman Empire". A one-world government is being very actively pursued. Plans are in place and priests are being trained for the Third Temple. China can now produce a 200 million man army, we know now that "elements melting with fervent heat" is an excellent description of a nuclear event. And on and on and on and on...

These things are really causing me to THINK about my conclusions about Christianity, as much as I despise the corruption of the church and some of its most visible preachers/teachers. But then again, that is EXACTLY the way the church is supposed to be in the Last Days! Sure, corruption has always existed, but not to the extent that it does now. False teachers are EVERYWHERE, and Christians are (gasp) turning away from sound doctrine and flocking to teachers who tell them what they want to hear! It's true that every generation of believers has wanted to believe that it's "the final one". But, they didn't have Israel existing as a nation with Jews back in their homeland, and that's the key.

Anyway, I'm sure you can see where my thinking is going. My heart is just not in my website any longer. I still enjoy entertaining others with my humor, but I'm not nearly as sure as I once was that my views are RIGHT and that Religion is Bullshit and Christianity is just a myth and WRONG. If the core of Christianity is true despite the corruption of the church (as I really think it might be), then I have misled a LOT of people. If so, well, so be it. I can't change it, but I'll do what I can to correct it even though I know I will get lots of hatred and ridicule thrown at me if I dare to announce that I believe again (and I am still wavering on the "belief", even though obviously I'm favoring it at the moment).

I've been thinking a lot about the meaning of life, and what the most satisfying worldview is for me. I've tried Atheism, and found it empty and very depressing. According to Atheism, there is no God and no higher purpose to life. We are accidental and a product of millions of years of godless, naturalistic evolution, and when we die, that's IT. I'm just not a naturalist, because I can't honestly embrace such a hopeless and depressing worldview. Reincarnation? Maybe, but I see what that belief has done in the countries where reincarnation and karma are widely accepted as fact. If we do reincarnate though, when does the cycle end, and why would I want to believe that I live again and again and again and again only to be finally absorbed back into an impersonal God and in doing so lose my individuality? I've thought a lot about the basic Christian message - a God of LOVE expresses His love for us by becoming one of us and sacrifices Himself for us. There is an AWESOME Heaven awaiting believers, and yeah, a terrible Hell awaiting those who reject Jesus. But, I no longer believe that Hell is an impossibility if God is LOVE. I can explain that later (at least as much as my thoughts have developed on the subject). I will say that I don't think Hell is flames and torture, or even the more benign "separation from God" view that is popular now.

Worship is another thing. Skeptics commonly characterize it as "stroking God's ego" and telling him how wonderful he is all the time, as if he needed to be constantly reminded. They just don't understand, and I've always known that they were dead WRONG on the subject, but every time I try to explain what worship really is, I get the "no, it's stroking god's ego. Period." response. I can't possibly be right in their eyes, although I have experienced worship both private and corporate many times over the years. Worship is a BEAUTIFUL thing. Worship is NOT really or solely for the benefit of God. God knows who he is and he doesn't need to be reminded of his identity by men. :-) Worship ultimately benefits the one doing the worshipping. Worship is intimate fellowship with and submission to GOD. He is ABSOLUTE TOTAL LOVE!! I can remember times back in my Christian days when I thought I was going to literally explode with JOY if I didn't back away from God's Presence! Our bodies are just not designed to be able to handle being in the unveiled Presence of GOD! Worship solidifies faith (try doubting the existence of God while you are in his Presence. It's hard to do!) Skeptics like to claim that feeling God's presence is all emotion. Well, no it's not, nor is God an "Imaginary Friend". God is a very real Divine Being whose presence can most definitely be felt by humans! Being in the Presence of God is emotional. How could it not be? But, God is a Divine Intelligence, a Being who we can relate to and who can relate to us, not just an emotional high.

Okay, enough, I suppose, but it's felt really good to write out my thoughts, even though I realize that you are not likely to agree with me that Christianity has any basis in reality. I read the Sermon on the Mount last night. It's always been a favorite part of the Bible for me, and as anti-Christian as I have been, I just can't find anything to hate in the teachings of Jesus (and yeah, I know the gospels are anonymous and were written decades after the events they portray, but even so, the purported teachings of Jesus are not worthy of hate, in my opinion). I've often thought that if Christians would behave as they are supposed to do, that they would be hated and persecuted a lot less than they are. And why do people hate Christianity so much? Because of the behavior of many "Christians", but also because they hate hearing the truth about themselves because it hurts. I've always taken notice of the fact that Atheists hate being told that they hate God. They claim that they don't hate God, but then they proceed to spew hatred at both God and the Christian religion. If it's just an ancient myth with no basis in reality, then why hate it so deeply? I see Atheists claim not to hate God or Christianity, but then they turn right around and heap hatred and insults on both God and the Christian religion, and in doing so the truth that they do indeed hate God (and they can't honestly hide their hatred) becomes clear. In short, the argument that Atheists don't hate God just doesn't hold any water with me any longer. I did the same thing and claimed not to hate God, but then proceeded to make my hatred very plain.

A1, here's the second and final installment of my thoughts from 2004.

I had a discussion with a new Christian friend from this business I'm doing, and I fired some questions at her. We might discuss the "prosperity doctrine" issue soon, which I think is unbiblical, although I used to believe in it wholeheartedly. Some Christian apologists I have some respect for because they generally know what they are talking about when it comes to doctrine and theology. One of them is Hank Hanegraaf. He is known as the "Bible Answer Man" on his radio show. I've never heard it since it isn't broadcast in this area, but I have read a few of his books, and I was very impressed and I learned quite a lot. He debunked several doctrines popular in the Charismatic movement here and demonstrated clearly how and why these teachers/teachings were wrong. The only book of his that I didn't like was "Resurrection". His arguments for the Resurrection of Jesus were weak in my opinion and he came across as the typical Christian apologist making bold claims and statements without having much in the way of evidence or facts to back those claims and statements up with. I do agree with him that resurrection is a more satisfying worldview than reincarnation though, regardless of whether either view actually is correct.

This new friend of mine, Jeri, made the statement during our conversation that she "doesn't argue the Bible, she just believes it", and I thought to myself, "how typical!", but I asked her why she felt that way, and she gave me her testimony and said that sure she occasionally has doubts about the reality of God, but she says she would rather be a Christian and believe in God than be an atheist and have no hope for anything after this life. I tend to agree.

I pass a small cemetery on my route almost every day (except Monday), and I invariably think about the fact that dead people are in there. It reminds me of the old joke about how great the place must be since people are just dying to get in there! lol... But, it also makes me think about the fact that those people were once living just like we are with lives and jobs and families, etc. and now they are dead, and the reality that I will die at some point in time too isn't lost on me. I can't imagine being dead. The reality that my lifeless body will be in a box in the ground someday rotting to dust is a very uncomfortable reality for me to face. I would imagine that is true of everyone. It's hard for people to face their own mortality.

The question I have to ask myself is, "Do I believe that conscious existence ends with the death of the physical body?" My answer to that, although I could certainly be wrong, is at this moment a resounding NO! While there is no "smoking gun" and proof of an afterlife, there is a great deal of circumstantial evidence that I find credible, not just NDEs and OBEs and stuff like that, but my own life experiences.

I KNOW that an unseen spiritual world does exist. I have had encounters with it since a very early age. I've had a lot of unusual things happen to me. Some of the "paranormal" activity I have experienced happened in my mother's office building. She owned a travel agency and the building it was located in for about 20 years. That building was haunted. Neither my sister or I was comfortable being there alone at night. It just didn't feel right from the moment we entered the building even during the day! The odd occurrences that stick out for me are the fact that when nobody else was in the building, I could hear "work" going on in the front office - papers being shuffled, an occasional voice, etc. The phone would ring repeatedly, but when I answered, nobody was there. This was an ongoing very annoying and very creepy problem. I was a Christian at the time, so one night I tried an experiment. I prayed about the situation and did the necessary spiritual warfare that I knew how to do, and to my AMAZEMENT, the phone stopped ringing. PERIOD. Coincidence? Answered prayer?

My room at the house we lived in when I was a teenager was haunted as well. I was dabbling in the occult at the time and flirting with Satanism, so that hardly is surprising in retrospect. I used to hear knocks on the walls when I was in that "not asleep but not awake" stage of drifting off, and I also could see an apparition of a 19th Century British Naval captain on my wall. His lips would move, but there was no sound when he spoke. I don't know how I knew his rank or recognized the uniform, but I did. I also used to frequently feel something walking on my bed when I was trying to go to sleep. That really freaked me out! This was going on not terribly long before I got saved in 1985. I became good friends with the music minister of the local Baptist church pretty quickly. I told him what was going on in my room, and he came over and we prayed, and the activity stopped! Coincidence? Answered prayer?

There's just so many things that I have dismissed and chosen not to think about because I was SO ANGRY and SO BITTER for so long. I blamed the Christian Church for a long time for the intensity of my bipolar problems, but that blame I think was misplaced. Nobody ever offended me in church. I had a lot of great friends and acquaintances. Everybody cared for me and was interested in me, or at least was civil to me if we really didn't know each other. False teachings DID do a lot of damage to me!

I have been a skeptic for the last four years or so. I spent a lot of that time VERY ANGRY and BITTER. I have NOT been a happy person. I thought I would find happiness free from religion, but I was wrong. I have NOT been happy trying to embrace an atheistic worldview that I find absolutely empty and hopeless despite my many posts on my site to the contrary. I tried to convince myself that my naturalistic beliefs could work for me and that I could live without a spiritual life and without God, but I was wrong. The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind cannot accept. I can't accept Atheism, and even if I could, there would be nothing worth rejoicing over. One of my skeptical friends, the Mighty AtheiStar as he calls himself, talks about the "Good News" of Atheism. My thought is, "Are you actually serious?" I don't consider the notion that this life is IT and that death means nonexistence to be "Good News"! That sounds like very depressing BAD NEWS to me!

I have been taking a really hard look at myself and at other "professional" skeptics who make their skepticism very public as I have. They do have facts and skeptical research that can be very hard to counter from the Christian viewpoint on their side, BUT many of them are very hateful towards the Christian God and religion just as I have been, and they belittle Christian believers just as I have done. I'm not sure that I am proud of my site or of my behavior. I'm actually sure that I'm NOT proud of my site. My immediate family knows about it, but few other people that I personally know do. It's not something that I share. I don't swell with pride when I contemplate telling people that I run a site called "religionisbullshit.com", and maybe that should tell me something!

I still have a lot of doubts, but something Jeri said also is sticking with me. She said that questions were fine and normal and that I should seek answers, but that I could also get "stuck in a rut" and never have peace. I haven't had PEACE in so long! I haven't felt JOY in so long! I understand the "why" factors of my journey from Christianity to skepticism, but the end result has not been what I expected. I turned my back on a Loving God because I was very ill at the time and because I found so much information that seemed to prove Christianity to be nothing but a myth. I'm all for critical thinking and reason and rational thought, but I must have faith in God as well. For me, I think that faith is Christian.

Although I have studied other religions and tried a few other religious beliefs (particularly that fundy Hindu cult), I keep coming back to Christianity. I think that must be because deep down I still strongly believe it to be true despite all of the skeptical knowledge I have gained over the last few years.

Again, my thinking has changed dramatically over the last eleven years. I no longer have any doubt that Christianity is 100% FALSE, and I no longer suffer from ANY religious fears. I am FREE, and I plan on staying that way! I am ECSTATICALLY happy as an Atheist, and I love myself exactly the way I am. I don't need nor do I want any sort of religious belief in my life. Glory! 

• Like 1

I'm with sdelsolray on this.  Will wait for the writing supposedly to be done on the desktop.

Christian logic:

If a single verse says something good, Praise Jesus!

If a single verse says something bad, "You can't just cherry pick single verses, You have to look at the surrounding verses to get a true picture."

or better yet "Ignore those bad verses...Here let me show you some happy verses..."

Atheist Logic

If a Christian does one bad thing they all bad

If a atheist does a bad thing its an isolated incident because all atheist aren't the same.

If a Christian say your were never Christian they are a true Scotsman

If a atheist says you were never atheist they are flawlessly accurate.

Why do you lie?

Jeff I can't thank u enough how much that means to me for you to share your story. Thank u.

I will not try to convert or convince anyone I will just do as u do just share my thoughts and expereinces on the matter of current events and biblical references not change or convert anyone but just sharing because of these things keep happening is why I remain Christian not out of fear because the bible says fear is not of love. But out of preparation and truth.

• Like 1

Jeff I can't thank u enough how much that means to me for you to share your story. Thank u.

I will not try to convert or convince anyone I will just do as u do just share my thoughts and expereinces on the matter of current events and biblical references not change or convert anyone but just sharing because of these things keep happening is why I remain Christian not out of fear because the bible says fear is not of love. But out of preparation and truth.

You are more than welcome, A1. smile.png

Why waste time, effort, and emotional energy preparing for a mythical event that is never actually going to happen?

Truth? What truth? There is no truth at all to the Christian myth. Christianity is an ancient myth and a colossal lie. From a purely emotional perspective, I would love for some parts of Christianity to be true (such as a loving god who cares about us, an eternal Heaven, etc.) but the fact is that NONE of it is true. Coming to terms with the fact that there is no God and there is no Heaven and there very likely is no afterlife took a lot of work and a lot of thought, but now I couldn't be happier without belief in all of that stuff. Glory!

All my non Christian sources doesn't talk about heaven hell or myth just real current events that happen will happen and is happening no Jesus or devil.

Just real people politics and government events and documents.

Many sources from department homeland security Nasa the white house the CIA and DARPA

And many more.

none..... Of these doe . OT talk about splitting of the red sea or 7headed dragons or hell or heaven or Jesus or God or angels or demosn.. none if that stuff.

AGAIN... I'm strictly talking about actual events.....they....will speak for themselves

Christian logic:

If a single verse says something good, Praise Jesus!

If a single verse says something bad, "You can't just cherry pick single verses, You have to look at the surrounding verses to get a true picture."

or better yet "Ignore those bad verses...Here let me show you some happy verses..."

Atheist Logic

If a Christian does one bad thing they all bad

If a atheist does a bad thing its an isolated incident because all atheist aren't the same.

If a Christian say your were never Christian they are a true Scotsman

If a atheist says you were never atheist they are flawlessly accurate.

Christians peddle fear, guilt and shame. That's bad. 

• Like 1

Fear is a control tactic......If in fact a Christian is already aware of that VEry fact. Is he more or less likely to fall victim to it?

Have any of you ExC's been brought back to the Lard since A1 started preaching here? Or is Jesus generally still just the impotent non-entity that we all know he is?

Have any of you ExC's been brought back to the Lard since A1 started preaching here? Or is Jesus generally still just the impotent non-entity that we all know he is?

I'm genuinely interested in the events that A1 thinks match up to biblical prophesy, but not because there is any chance that I will be convinced and become a believer again. I'm interested in helping A1 overcome his religious fears so he can be FREE! Glory!

• Like 1

Thanks I like to be wrong....That's how we learn. Why Dont you call my cell and in tell you all about it lol

Fear is a control tactic......If in fact a Christian is already aware of that VEry fact. Is he more or less likely to fall victim to it?

Non-believers who are not aware of the foundation of fear, guilt and shame that Christianity is built upon can and are brainwashed to be fearful, guilty and shamed. Christians are ordinary people who have been emotionally infected by other brainwashed Christians. 

Non-believers are not aware that they are fucking themselves over when they convert to Christianity. It takes a while...maybe a few years. By that time they are too afraid of this Jesus (who doesnt really exist) to quit. Christians are too afraid to not spread the Gospel. Jesus might get mad and send them to hell. 

Yes, fear is a powerful control tactic. Fear keeps people going to church and putting money in the collection plate. 

• Like 1

You're moving A1? I hope when you unpack you find your password.

By the way, you are going to try to link your NON Christian sources of whatever to the Christian Bible, aren't you?

I don't know about A1 but I was still a Christian back when the US invaded Iraq.  When they did that sudden Blitz and U.S. armor charged

up the Euphrates river valley that set off my End Times Prophesy sense.  I just knew that the very last seven years of Earth had just begun.  

Of course that was like 12 years ago.  Anyway the fear verse was Rev 9:

13 And the sixth angel sounded, and I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar which is before God,

14 Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates.

15 And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men.

16 And the number of the army of the horsemen were two hundred thousand thousand: and I heard the number of them.

17 And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone.

18 By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.

19 For their power is in their mouth, and in their tails: for their tails were like unto serpents, and had heads, and with them they do hurt.

But now as an atheist I realize every important piece of real estate will have a war from time to time because that is just

human nature.

You guys are awesome that's all I have to say

The things and events I'm talking about tho are on an extreme grander scale and cannot be mistaken

Forget it, A1.  WendyDoh.gif

To be fair, BAA, I don't get where you are going with that question either. I think A1 did alright answering, all things considered (unless I'm just having an extra dense moment).

Objective vs. Subjective knowledge Dude.

You guys are awesome that's all I have to say

The things and events I'm talking about tho are on an extreme grander scale and cannot be mistaken

Which is why we have missed them all.  They were so grand that we didn't notice.

• Like 2